| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Intro on Connie Smith Song
Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2003 7:48 am    

"I never once stopped loving you" The intro on this song is not complicated (Unless you cant play steel. Which I cant!) But it is one of the best examples of what a real country steel can do for a song. IMHO of course.
Leigh
Butch Foster

Pisgah, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2003 12:47 pm    

What a great intro that was! Connie's songs have so many unbelievable intro's and closings. Some of my favorites are:
You and Your Sweet Love
Then And Only Then
I'll Come Running
Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2003 1:33 pm    

I had the pleasure of meeeting and hearing Russ Hicks play a couple weeks ago,,man he does the Connie songs great,,and Laney, His wife, sings them great, what a team.

Wayne
Gene H. Brown

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2003 9:59 pm    

If my memorie serves me right, I believe all of those fantastic intor's and turnarounds were none other than Weldon Myrick, one of the most underated steel players ever.
Gene H. Brown

------------------
If You Keep Pickin That Thing, It'll Never Heal!
;)

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2003 12:44 am    

Russ Hicks is one of the most versatile Steel Guitar Players and Musicians around. Ain't a whole lot he can't do. Never saw him dance though.

------------------

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 25 October 2003 at 01:46 AM.]

Franklin

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2003 5:16 am    

Ditto's about Weldon. His commercial playing changed my direction. Hearing Weldon and Buddy take the instrument to new depths rhythmically as well as melodically in the late 60's and throughout the 70's inspired me.

Very few forumites know this; By the early 7o's after Weldon's appearence on so many of those mid 60's records, his reputation with producers and artists for being ultra creative earned Weldon along with Buddy Emmons and John Hughey first calls on the majority of Nashville's most visible sessions. Together their styles were the prominate force of country steel guitar for most of that decade. It remained that way until Sonny got hot around 1980.

Weldon is such a gentleman who would never toot his own horn. So let me be the one who brags a little about him.

To check out Weldon,s discography go to allmusic.com for a listing. Its a great site for finding out who played on your favorite records.

Paul

[This message was edited by Franklin on 26 October 2003 at 05:28 AM.]

[This message was edited by Franklin on 26 October 2003 at 08:26 PM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2003 6:27 pm    

Mega dittos Paul.

Weldon is the quiet precious gem, that sits in the wings and when it is his time, pure gold comes out of his fingers. Connie knew what she was doing when she recorded sooo many classics with Weldon.

One of the all time thrills of my life was when Weldon graciously said "yes" when I asked him to play at the '98 Atlanta show. And he was precisely what we all expected. And truly a gentleman's gentleman.

When I asked him to just give the "kickoff" to Connie's "Once a Day" (before I finished introducing him), he garnered more than a few tears when he played the entire song. What a beautiful moment! I shall take it to my grave.

To know him is to love him; and may Jesus bring him joy always,

carl
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2003 9:27 pm    

Weldon's brief but eloquent solos on Johnny Bush's "Green Snakes On The Ceiling," "Here Comes The World Again," and "Whiskey River" are classic pieces of steeldom that have become a part of each of those songs.

Another unnoticed album of brilliant Weldonisms is a late-60's recording by NY singer/songwriter Paul Seibel entitled "Woodsmoke and Oranges." Hard to find, but if you run across it, GET IT!

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association