| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PBS and Great Music
Dennis Atkins

St. Paul, Minnesota
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2003 8:18 pm    

I was watching the All-Star Bluegrass Celebration and PBS tonight, and I am aghast at the fact this type of music is showing up on Public Television. I really wish that CMT would take the bull by the horns and create equally great musical presentations.

All we seem to get on CMT are repeats of shows that really don't show the wide range of what Country Music is all about.

One of the highlights of the bluegrass show was Vassar Clements, along with Alison Kraus, Rhonda Vincent, Jason Carter, fiddle players from Mountain Heart, Nickel Creek, Stuart Duncan, and others I forget, all doing the Orange Blossom Special.

With players like Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill, Alison Kraus, Jesse McReynolds, Mac Wiseman, Del McCoury, Ralph Stanley, the Whites, Rhonda Vincent, Fairfield Four, the Peasall Sisters, and others, shows like this are what CMT should be producing.

Just think of the type of programs that could be produced showcasing all the different types of instruments and players that Nashville has hanging around.

It is a real shame that CMT is not doing more to really promote what makes up country music.

Dennis

------------------
MSA S-10 Sidekick
Gorilla Amp with Digitech RP100 Processor
pedalman@msn.com
www.geocities.com/mnpedalman/index.html

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2003 9:18 am    

CMT is anti country. Its a belly button video channel whose chief goal is to keep real country music off the air. (We never liked those rednecks anyway).
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2003 11:00 am    

I gave up on CMT a long time ago.
Keep a weather eye on PBS,they have so much to offer in the way of music programing,country,bluegrass or otherwise.
BTW,if you havent allready,think about sending them a donation!!Just think of all the times youv'e enjoyed thier programing!!
If you wanna dance you got to pay the band.

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII
"there's been an awful murder, down on music row!"

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2003 3:58 pm    

Every time I turn to CMT all I see is Kenny Chesney. Its a Chesney video, or a Chesney interview, or Chesney concert, the life and times of Kenny Chesney.
Does this guy have any real talent? He sings out of tune on the absolute worst songs I've ever heard, while always wearing "wife beater shirts"! Can Country get any worse than this?
On MY top 100 list of Country singers Kenny Chesney comes in at number 24,974 just barely getting beat out by Tim Mcgraw at 24,973.
I just realized what CMT stand for-- Chesney's Marketing Technique
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2003 7:14 pm    

PBS is where it's at, around this house anyway. Their people know how to cover a show and when the steel player takes a ride, they actually know enough to point the camera at the steel player. Plus there are no commercials and no egomaniac, Bryant Gumbel type hosts trying to chat it up between acts when time could be better spent just letting the musicians get it on.
Derek Duplessie

La Jolla CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2003 10:13 pm    

Who's ever signing the male country artists sign
the ugliest, dorkiest, people in the world. It's like
they go out of their way to find the absolute ugliest people (garth brooks,kenny chesney,chris cagle,rascle flatts,etc.). these people have
no concept of whats hip, innovative, or meaningful
(she thinks my tractor's sexy??oh yeah,thats
insightful). Country music is the only genre of music that doesn't seem to be evolving at all...
-Derek