| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joanie Mosby?
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2003 5:12 pm    

One heck of a country singer and very beautiful.Anybody know where she is and if she's still entertaining?
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2003 8:41 pm    

I used to play at the Bandar in Ventura,CA
That was Johnny & Joanie's club for years.
I have no idea if they are still around, I haven't even been there in 17 years.
Dale Bennett

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2003 6:20 am    

Hi Gary, It' amazing who might be mentioned on this forum, I love it. I worked with Johnny and Joanie Mosby in the sixtys at the Bandar club. there was, Clyde Griffen on Piano Bill Huffman (Hoss) on guitar and me on bass, can't remember the drummer, been to many years.They were nice people and good singers. I will dig around and see what I come up with. Maybe Jason Odd or Al Bruno may know. db
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2003 7:36 am    

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 06 December 2004 at 01:08 AM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2003 7:49 am    

I do not recall which song it was but I remember Jimmy Day telling me about a session he had done with them. I asked him about a modulation in that song and where it went ?? He replied: "Didn't go nowhere. We moved it up a step and then went right back down. Seemed to fit pretty good !!"

Regards, Paul
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2003 6:59 pm    

What a blast from the past. I worked at The King of the Bass in Ventura in the sixties for a while. I did a fill in at the BanDar once when ol' Hoss needed a night off. That was a nice club. Johnny & Jonies's big hit was "Don't Call Me From a Honky Tonk" and got a lot of air play. I think Ralph Mooney played on it but I'm not sure. Have a great day. Dale Bennett, thanks for mentioning Bill Huffman. Hoss was a great guy and died a horrible death from Cancer. He had a lot of friends but I think Al Bruno was his closest.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2003 11:31 pm    

Jonie was in the news 10 or 12 years ago as the oldest woman to give birth to a child through in-vitro fertilization; i think she was 53 at the time of the birth; some excerpts below, with a pic of jonie at the time; she still had the 60s hairdo going:
http://www.healthsciences.columbia.edu/news/journal/journal-o/archives/jour_v16n3_0018.html

One woman who has worked through these issues is Jonie Mosby Mitchell, a country music singer and mother of 4-year-old Morgan Bradford, who was conceived by AR when Ms. Mosby Mitchell was 52 years old. At the time, Ms. Mosby Mitchell was the oldest woman on which AR had been used successfully.

Ms. Mosby Mitchell, who was Dr. Sauer's patient, has four children from her first marriage and an adopted daughter from her current marriage. She and her husband decided to try AR instead of adopting again because AR gave them more control than the adoption process offered, she says.

Ms. Mosby Mitchell describes pregnancy and birth at age 52 as "fun," though she wouldn't recommend it for most people. "When you're determined, nothing hurts." As for concerns that she might die while Morgan is still young, Ms. Mosby Mitchell is not particularly worried. Morgan's extended family of older brothers and sisters would be available to take care of him if anything happened to her, she says. Plus, old age runs in Ms. Mosby Mitchell's family: Her mother is 91. "Age doesn't make a difference to me," she says. "The alternative would be for [Morgan] not to exist."

http://www.time.com/time/classroom/article/0,12422,227565,00.html

How Old Is Too Old?

September 30, 1991

By Christine Gorman

Jonie Mosby Mitchell is three months pregnant and thrilled about it. She and her husband adopted a baby girl three years ago, and they are eager to produce a sibling for her. Nothing unusual about that, except for the fact that Mitchell is 52. She went through menopause years ago.

Mitchell's pregnancy represents one of the latest and most extraordinary achievements of infertility science. By treating his middle-aged patient with hormones, Dr. Mark Sauer, at the University of Southern California, was able to essentially reverse the effects of menopause. Using an egg from a young woman and artificial insemination with sperm from Mitchell's husband Donnie, Sauer was able to establish the pregnancy.
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2003 7:45 am    

If anyone would know it'd be Jason Odd. Dale I worked then some also when they were booked in as guests at different clubs.

Carl West
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 7:05 pm    

Ralph Mooney and James Burton played on their sesions, especially Ralph.
In the early days (late 1950s) they tried a couple of young singers in their act, Janet McBride (later part of Dewey Groom's Longhorn scene) and Helen 'Peaches' Price (now Helen Johnson) who saw the singer gig as a bit risky and switched to drums circa 1959.

For a singer she seems to have really dissapeared, I've assumed for some time that she's not been doing gigs. Their name, and indeed the club's have been mispelt so many times I often forget which is the correct one.
They recorded for Starday, Capitol, and I think Columbia, possibly even Challenge (might have not gone past the demo stage), the BanDar is now a rock club, or at least was over a year ago.

I'm afraid have no idea what either o this one time couple are up to. Sorry folks.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 5:15 am    

Johnny and Joanie had a hit with "I'd fight the world" a real great version that was also cut by others I believe Jimmy day did the session.(Columbia)

------------------
O-O

Dale Bennett

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2003 1:51 pm    

Jerry Hayes, I'm glad you knew Bill Huffman, we all loved the old Hoss. And you're right, Bill thought Al Bruno hung the moon and Al Loved him too.he hung right in there with Hoss till the end, but thats the kind of guy Bruno is. I remember him hangin pretty close to Billy Mize when he had his stroke. Catch ya later, db
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2003 3:33 am    

I ALWAYS thought Jonie <--(correct spelling) Mosby was RAVISHING! She ,still looks great,at 52,in that article. I have 3 albums by Johnny & Jonie,on Capitol.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Dale Bennett

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2003 5:50 am    

Hi Smiley, you are correct it is (Joni). On your albums do they credit any of the musicians? I can't remember, I grew up in So Ca. and I knew a lot of the guys that did a lot of work for capitol.Just curious. Thanks. db
Dale Bennett

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2003 5:53 am    

Sorry Smiley, I forgot the e one Jonie
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2003 7:21 am    

Nah Dale,they didn't do that back then. I guess the sidemen back then were considered "peons". Some of the artists today,still,consider them that.

------------------
  ~ ~

www.ntsga.com

Dale Bennett

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2003 8:28 am    

Thanks, guy, And you'r right again, guess they figure we're a dime a dozen bunch. who knows maybe we are. db
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2003 12:28 pm    

I have no connection with anyone nowadays, so; I think I have an objective look at the situation! You are correct. You are a "dime-a-dozen" musician as myself! It's still the old matter of 'supply-and-demand'! It's both a Blessing and a Curse, because; supply is very high and demand is very high. However; it's MHO that the 'Demand' nowadays is mis-placed. (I guess this is actually a mis-placed statement also!)

------------------
“Uh~” ƒƒ< “BJ” wknsg®
Franklin, D–10 9/8
Fender, T–8 “The Custom”
Peavey, Classic 50 - 212
Enhancer, E–LG
http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2003 4:39 am    

Quote:
...guess they figure we're a dime a dozen bunch.

If that's the case,here's a nickel,go out & find me SIX GOOD ones!

------------------
  ~ ~

www.ntsga.com