| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville Guitar Sound
Charles French

Ms.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2003 8:18 am    

I dont listen to new country music. In fact I hate it. My question is are there any guitar players out there that someone could recommend a listen to. The only player that I've heard that really blew me away is Redd Volkaert. So I'll use him as the measuring stick for this question. It seems to me the trend I hear in Nashville is everyone seems to be playing in this Alvin Lee style. Hot licks Galore but lacks soul and emotion. Seems the guitar playing I'm hearing on recordings sound like the singers they're recording. All alike. Where can I find anything Redd V. is playing on? I'll pay!
Shaan Shirazi

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2003 9:14 am    

www.reddvolkaert.net would be a good start. He even has a "Lick of the Month" page there.

Shaan

------------------
The Pickin' Paniolo
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2003 9:23 am    

Another Austin Tele-ace, Dave Biller never disappoints you either, he plays some mean Django-style too.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2003 10:29 am    

Yep you can't go much further than Redd V. as once you've heard the best.....it's like walking backwards after that.
Me and Redd have cut on a slew of stuff that will be out this fall...
Also he is in Nashville right now; cutting on the Big Johnny Paycheck Tribute CD and guess who the Steel player is on that?? Yep Lloyd Green.
Lloyd wrote me and said: "Ricky I don't remember being more inspired by a single musician, when I met and recorded with Redd".
He also said> "This will be the best Country Music to come out of Nashville in 30 years"........So look for that one too in the later Fall possibly.
Redd and I are also on several Local Texas artist Projects....but the only place I know to get them is at Waterloo Records here in Austin; under the local section....and I can't even remember the names of any of them...sorry....and it's not neccessarily Country either...which I believe you were inquiring about anyway.
Good luck.
Ricky
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2003 10:58 am    

..you might check out Van Manakas, who plays at the PSGA shows in Norwalk...he's as good as they come, in my opinion...
http://www.puremusic.com/manakas.html

...oops, sorry, I see that the question wasn't "who else can I listen to"...it was "where can I find Redd Volkaert"...so nevermind...

[This message was edited by Pat Burns on 17 June 2003 at 12:22 PM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2003 3:03 pm    

Even though you stated Alvin Lee ( 10 Years After ) we know you were thinking Albert Lee.

Actually Albert Lees' style is quite different then many and most of the Tele' pickers you hear on record..today..

very distinguishable

I like 'em all..

tp
Charles French

Ms.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2003 3:48 pm    

Yes, I meant Albert. Thanks for the correction. I like em all too and I realize his style is different but somebody is copying somebody. Kinda like young blood blues players that think SRV hung the moon. Take no offence in this but Redd V. is Steak everything else is just hamburger.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2003 3:52 pm    

And what's Ray Flacke up to these days? Another Tele burner, for sure.
Shaan Shirazi

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2003 4:53 am    

The Hot Guitars of Biller and Wakefield is a cool CD in the Jimmy Bryant/Speedy West style. It might still be available on Hightone Records. You don't hear much about Jeremy Wakefield here on the Forum but he's pretty amazing and Dave Biller always plays the tastiest stuff. That's him on Dale Watson's first two CD's.

Shaan

------------------
The Pickin' Paniolo
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2003 6:13 am    

Last I heard Ray F was doing some teaching at one of the University's or schools in the Nashville area.

Steak vs Hamburger...??UUhmmm...

But some folks like steaks rare, medium rare, medium , medium well and even well done ..some eat right from the Cow !

Red V is truly one of the greats..no doubt..
But there are a few players running around with their Tele's that will wearout your earlobes .

I contend theres a bunch of "Steak" players out there..The only Hamburger Tele' player that I know is in the band I play Tele' in!

tp

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 18 June 2003 at 12:47 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2003 6:21 am    

Since Redd and Dave have already been mentioned, there are two guitarists I work with that seriously deserve mention, IMHO.

Pete Mitchell, currently playing most often with James Hand and leading his band, impresses me with his seriously beautiful sense of melody, knowledge of the historic solos of country music, total adherance to the "groove," and the ability to say exactly what needs to be said with one note, if that's all it takes. If I was a lead guitarist, I'd probably (want to) play like Pete. He worked for 15 years with ET, but he's done Price, Waylon, etc. as well. Pete has a solo album out, but I don't know where it's available except from him.

I also work occasionally with Rick McRae, whose "real" job is lead guitarist with the George Strait Band. Rick is a western swing and jazz guitarist to seriously be reckoned with, trust me. Not only country, he plays many jazz dates and sessions here in A-town. We play together in an occasional swing band called The Riff Riders with Terry Hale on bass and the amazing Eric Hokkanen on fiddle and acoustic lead guitar. I must humbly say that the Riff Riders are Governor Rick Perry's favorite band.

Dave Biller played super lead guitar on my 2000 album Texas Dance Time!, and Rick McRae played on my 2002 album Rancho Rhythm Roundup. Different styles for sure, but awesome guitar playing by both very talented pickers.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2003 7:56 am    

Redd has two albums of his own out that I'd highly recommend. He also played some real neat stuff on the forthcoming Ty Braddock album that was due out a couple of months ago but keeps getting pushed back due to unforseen circumstances (and Ricky Davis played steel on it).

[This message was edited by Chris Forbes on 18 June 2003 at 08:56 AM.]

Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 12:20 am    

Ricky, when will we be able to get the "Tribute to Johnny P." with Lloyd on steel? And who will be selling it first? Martin.

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000
Matt Brydges

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 7:31 am    

Well I've never been impressed with any country player more than Steve Piticco - he plays a Tele. He's Canadian also, so not everyone may know him, but I have never heard better to my ears. He has a website with a couple audio samples on the front page - very much worth a listen but it barely scratches the surface compared to seeing him live.
www3.sympatico.ca/spiticco

Matt
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 8:56 am    

I couldn't agree more with you Herb about Pete Mitchell and a great guy to work with too. Playing with Pete was a real learning experience for me. Another guy that I hope will record an album of himself would be Johnny Hiland. A young but most talented guitar player to be listening too. That guy was just 21 when I first worked with him and he'd play stuff so fast it just amazed me. The tempos will just work you to death. I heard he's out there working on something new so maybe we'll get a taste soon.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 9:32 am    

Martin; I'm not sure when it will be released...as nobody is at this point....but I hear later fall...
I will post the release; or someone will I'm sure when it does come out..
Ricky
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 9:54 am    

I don't think he has any recorded albums but for my money...I like Gregg Galbreth (sp). He can play any style needed. Another great one is, Bobby Caldwell of ISGC fame. Either one of these two can play for me anytime.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 22 June 2003 at 10:55 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 9:54 am    

Kenny,
I've tried to get Gregg to record a cd for years. I guess he thinks no one would be interested. Thanks for mentioning him. He's recorded on alot of those Nashville records also!

New country has players like Brent Mason, John Jorgenson, J.T. Corenflos, Michael Landau, Dan Huff just to mention a few that have that Nashville Guitar Sound. These guys also can play just about anything.
I forgot to mention my brother Brian Franklin!
Thanks, Theresa
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 4:28 am    

I don't see where all the new country things seem to sound alike to you but maybe it's because the A team in Nashville has in the lead guitar chair, Mr. Brent Mason, who is the world's best Tele player in my opinion. He's played on all the Alan Jackson things plus every other major artist you can name. Do you remember him from the old TNN show which had Mark O'Conner on it. I can't remember the name of the show but it featured some really hot music every week. I have the Hot Licks video plus Brent's Hot Wired CD and he's the undisputed master of the Telecaster in every sense. He's also one of the best Jazzmen around when he gets on that Gibson. And to top it all off, he plays with a thumbpick LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO.............. Have a good 'un..JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Charles French

Ms.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 7:00 am    

Jerry, I'm well aware of Brent Mason and yes he is a fine guitar player. You hit the nail on the head, Hot Licks!. A-Team session players keep everything sounding the same. But then thats what generally comes out on the radio.One sound, no individuality.

I personally perfer Leon Rhodes, Roy Nichols, Regggie Young style to Brent Mason and the line of B.M. wanna be's. Same as I perfer Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker, Robert Lockwood to all the Stevie Ray Vaughan's in the world.

I have watched Brent's Hot Licks video and it is amazing to watch someone who has that kind of talent. I don't think the novice to intermediate player who buys this video will find it very helpful. From what I saw he shows off his "Hot Licks" and that's about it.

By the way, who is Alan Jackson?

Terry Williams

Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 6:56 am    

Theresa G. kenny D. and Jerry H. you guys are on the money. my daddy always told me, you can"t argue with ignorance.

------------------
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 7:56 am    

I think Brad Paisley plays his butt off. He has a great left hand... listen to some of those little 'flurries' of notes he does, like on the tail end of the ride in "I'm Gonna Miss Her".
Charles French

Ms.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 8:17 am    

Terry, I'm glad you felt the need to post your comment on this subject. Altho I thought it was very rude of you to call me ignorant. I don't recall making any personal attacks on anyone in this forum. I was just interested in finding out some names of players outside the Nashville scene.

Have a nice day,
Charles
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2003 9:34 am    

I'll put in another vote for Brent Mason & John Jorgenson. Everything I have heard from these guys is smokin'.
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 7:11 am    

Check out Davin James.
http://www.davinjames.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003GPQY/qid=1056727106/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/002-8577021-9879213?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005B5BM/qid=1056727106/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-8577021-9879213?v=glance&s=music&n=507846