| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bridges
Lindley

Statesville, NC...USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2003 6:10 am    

I have a great Crafters Virginian. It has a maple bridge set-up,I think, and it sounds good to me right now, but I know there will come a time when I'll have to replace the bridge inserts. Are the maple bridges with the ebony tips that much better than the regular maple, and how much trouble it is it to change these? Do they come ready to install, or do you have to modify them? Also, can you do this without tearing the guitar apart, or do you have to take the outer cover off? How long is a bridge good for if you play an average amount, say 4 to 5 hours a week? Thanks for your help...
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2003 1:53 pm    

Your bridge saddle may last for decades, so quit worrying about it, unless you want to change it to change the sound of your guitar or raise the string action. You do have to take the strings off, coverplate off, remove the spider bridge and then put in a new saddle. I have an ebony-tipped bridge in my roundneck Dobro, and a piece of bone in my squareneck Dobro -- both of which are an "improvement" over the stock maple saddle, IMHO. Generally, a more rigid saddle material is going to increase volume, transient response, presence, and cuttin' power. May or may not be what you're looking for.