| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opry Live
Joey Gaskins

New Bern, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 5:08 pm    

Wow!! What a show!!! George and Vestal was the greatest!!! Who says traditional country or gospel won't sell? Who was the steel player for George? They only showed brief clips but the sound was superb!!!
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 5:39 pm    

You must have been watching a different show than I was? Other than Vince "who always sounds great" & the good looking gal singer with George" & Randle Curries steel playing. I never heard such off key singing. whats with Brad P. ?
David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 7:51 pm    

Boy, there sure was a lot of off-key singing on the Opry tonight. It's becoming a regular feature of the show.
Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 4:44 pm    

I was at the Opry show for the TV portion Sat. night; when Brad Paisley came on,his guitar amp had not been turned on, and he quickly ran back to it and hit the on switch. The amp was on full blast, and in the F row (6 rows back) it was so loud and distorted you could not even here the singing at all. I know that he could not hear himself; I saw the rerun show on tv and you could not even tell that his guitar was on - it was a completely different mix; the music sounded better, but I know that he was unable to hear himself on stage; in person the sound was terrible - not only of him but of about 1/2 of the 2 1/2 hour show...I have been to the Opry in previous years and thought the sound was good...but that was the worse professional mix at the show I have ever heard...Some of the acoustic acts sounded much better (The Whites, etc.)..
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 5:41 pm    

Not only was GJ OFF key, I'm not even sure he was even doing the same song as the rest of the band,,,and he couldn't keep his eyes off the prompter,,,maybe he didn't know the song,,,,it's for sure he didn't know the key. I mean tradition can just carry you so far. Hang it up George. It time for that rockin chair.
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 6:08 pm    

As these comments are not related to Steel players please keep general opry comments in the music area.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2003 9:11 am    

You guys really get to me sometimes. We all know that George has been reading words on stage for many years. But when he does the hits its less obvious because he knows the songs much better. These were two brand new songs for him and at 72(I believe), I am sure it takes him a little longer to nail a song down then in the past. Once he got into both of them, he had them better. And like Bowie brought up, who knows what he heard on stage. As he gets older he probably needs more monitor, like most people do. George is THE living legend and, in my book, the ole Possum is still kickin.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2003 10:29 am    

Tom Killen was playing steel for George. Brett Day, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2003 2:58 pm    

The Opry just hired a new guy to oversee the quality of sound, so Pete Fisher knows there's a problem.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2003 5:09 am    

"quote" Pete Fischer knows there is a problem" Yeah we all know there is a problem, and it is Pete Fischer.

------------------
CJC

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2003 9:11 am    

Joe,
I don't think it's Pete's fault.