| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chord Charts vs. Tab
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 5:00 pm    

Does anybody other than me ever use (or need) chord charts for songs anymore? When I try to learn any of the more difficult songs, I can always “fish around” until I find a chord that sounds right at a certain spot in the song. But, it is often not the correct chord. Back in my day in country and western swing (“olden times”) about the only sheet music we ever had was a “lead sheet” with the melody line and with the names of chords written above the staff – or, in the alternative, a sheet with the staff marked off in measures with “slash marks” to represent beats and the chord name above the staff. I can find plenty TAB for just about any song I want; however, TAB is always written for one of the standard tunings (E9 or C6) and is of no use to me, as I don’t use either of those tunings. Most of the sheet music I find in the music stores is for piano, and it’s too expensive for what I can glean from it. Chord sheets or charts have never been available as commercial products; but musicians passed them around like TAB is now passed around.

My kingdom for some chord sheets to a few good songs.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 5:44 pm    

Hmmm... as I recall, most of the sheet music I've seen in music stores had at least guitar chords (with little chord tabs) written above the lyrics and lead-line. There seem to be lots of books in stores with guitar chords available. Also, if you're into jazz or standards, the fake books have the chords to hundreds of songs.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 7:24 pm    

I, on occasion, play with a band that does a lot of 30's and 40's music, most of which I haven't memorized, so if it's more than one set, I have to read from a chart.
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 7:58 pm    

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 06 December 2004 at 01:02 AM.]

Roy Ayres

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 3:08 am    

The sheet music is too expensive when bought song by song. Of course I can "woodshed" a song and make my own charts, but that takes time and I can never be sure I have all of the passing chords, etc. right. I haven't looked into "fake books" but that sounds like it might be what I am lookong for. Thanks, guys.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 3:59 am    

Fake books and BIAB is the ultimate marriage! Just enter the chords and then print out your choice of either chord charts or number charts.
Roy Ayres

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 4:50 am    

Gene and the others above:

You may think I'm stupid for not knowing about "fake books" but I'm not sure fake books even existed when I left the music business some 40 years ago. If they did I must have had my head in the sand. Now that this Forum and guys like you have rekindled my interest in steel, I have 40 years of catching up to do on songs that came out during that interim. I'm heading for the music stores this week end to search for fake books that have some of the songs I want. If I get time, I may also research the web for fake books. (Jody Carver says I only know two chords, and I'm anxious to learn a third one so I can out-play him.)
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 7:22 am    

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 06 December 2004 at 01:02 AM.]