| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville Star - What a JOKE!!
Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 6:21 pm    

I have been watching this show from the start, though I really don't know why I've been watching it this long. The judges have no credibility as far as judging music goes. You've got a Music Librarian, an entertainer's husband, and some woman. It's not very entertaining. The singing is one step above terrible most of the time. The "singers" are not entertaining at all. Sometimes, they show them in the hot tub playing "grab*ss," which has nothing to do with their singing talent, or lack there of.

How can a bunch of pure ametuers that can't sing in tune be on TV and actually get applause. They are not even good entertainers, let alone singers.

I'm just very disgusted with everything this show is. If people like that can get record deals and sales, then the people in this country just don't care about talent. I can't be the only one that feels this way, can I?

Your opinions..............
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 6:49 pm    

I haven't watched for the last couple of weeks, Abraham, but I did watch the first two shows. Bob Oermann probably knows more about the origins of country music than anyone and he genuinely loves the roots of country music and its originators. Tracy Gershon is a consultant for the majors here in Nashville and her viewpoint probably represents very accurately the way artists are evaluated by the labels, right or wrong, good or bad. Charlie Robison is a talented writer and artist in his own right and the fact that he's 'married to someone you've heard of' is irrelevant. He calls 'em like he sees 'em. As far as the show and its participants goes, they're dealing only with what they came up with in the national audition process. They were auditioning for a TV series; not really looking for talent from an A&R standpoint.

Talent does not equal success in the music business, and it never will again. It's all about marketing and, in the case of this TV show, ratings.
David Reeves

Florida
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 8:14 pm    

You sure pegged that one Michael, talent has not played as important a role as marketability for quite a while. It's all about the dollar. My best advice to upcoming potential stars is, work out, get your body in shape to look like a million bucks, get them teeth fixed, learn how to be photographed and wear the 'look'.
Those who can't get the look but Love music need a good day job, and an audition at the VFW Hall.

------------------
Stump Reeves

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 9:25 pm    

How true. You can't put talent on an album cover. It doesn't photograph well.

Robbie Bossert
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 9:55 pm    

Check out Charlie Robison some time. He is a monster songwriter/peformer. I found the show entertaining. Image overcomes substance unless your into jazz. Thats why I only buy REAL country CD's. If it don't twang, I'm not interested.
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 11:46 pm    

Quote:
Tracy Gershon is a consultant for the majors here in Nashville and her viewpoint probably represents very accurately the way artists are evaluated by the labels, right or wrong, good or bad.

I didn't know that Tracy was on the show, but then I haven't seen the show.
I just wanted to point out that Tracy is married to a fellow forumite and steel player Steve Fishell.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 3:29 am    

We too have been watching and now following the show. True ,at times it appears to be totally amateur, but that is is what they are. Typical backyard or bandstand singers before the hype. These singers, with the exception of singer Buddy Jewell, appear to have very little or zero stage /bandstand experience so we should put it in perspective.

They sing off pitch, they really are not prepared for the stage and are nervous as heck cause they are in front of a crowd, live cameras and the 3 judges.

Behind them is a real fine band capable of backing anyone.

If the show performers appear amateur , it's because they are.

This show is only partly about the performers, it's about a weekly series , a website, selling CD's etc. It's really just another reality TV series except this one they have to sing for their dinner.

Do many of us work with singers that may be better than these folks, possibly. But thats not the point. It's a TV show with the primary goal of selling sponsor time, and they pulled it off.

It's better than any CMT show thats aired, including the OPRY. Real singers singing Country tunes and you actually get to hear Tele' and Steel Guitar licks, something that the Opry has decided not to do anymore.

Now back to the performers, in my view, there's really only two legitimate performers in this first of probably several series, Buddy Jewell and the young gal , I think Miranda is her name. He can sing a tune but doesn't have the looks for a magazine cover , she can almost sing but looks like she belongs on the cover of any national or global magazine, and she writes pretty good, as does Buddy.

Remember this, Marya Cary couldn't sing a lick when she made her first album. Madonna still can't sing.

Kid Rock can't sing, looks bad , and ends up with the the number one song in the nation. Go figure. Actually Charlie Robison referenced that to one of the performers.

I like the show, not the backstage stuff ,although thats part of the reality TV stuff.. but the live music part is nice to see. IF they put this show on opposite the OPRY LIVE, it would win hands down overall. It has more to offer. Opry LIVE..should take notice..

Bad Paisely said it best to the folks a week or two ago, something like , if you can write and sing your own song , or bring a great original song to the table the first time out and it scores, the rest is accademic. From that point on Nashville will come to you, meaning the song writers and producers.

A quality song and studio performance can make anyone a STAR, The studio experts can and will make you sing good and sound good even if you can't do it on your own. Whoever wins this will get a nice opportunity, but they really will only have one chance. But hey..they will end up with two years worth of work in Vegas just for what they did so far, regardless.

IF they run this show again, and I'm certain they will, and if they are in North Carolina, I will send my wife, and who knows maybe we will do a duet..have you noticed ..no duets here ...we most likely would drive back home with nothing but it would sure be a fun experience..don't ya think ? Then you guys can say , did you see whats his face from the forum on STAR last night..glad he's off the show !! Bring back Tiny Tim !!

What a hoot..!!

Half the gigs Bonnie and I earned in Ct during our 10 year run we got from going to clubs with an acoustic guitar and singing a few tunes right there in front of the club owners and patrons ..cold...Kinda like a Nashville Star show without a band and the camera's, just judges..We always felt that if you left someone a tape they may or may not listen to it but if you sing right there in front of them they pretty much had to listen..or walk away..for the most part they listened, gave us a few beers and a few gigs.

Trust me on this one.., it was Bonnie ( my wife ) ..not me...

I'm sure there are a lot of folks thinking about this show.I think next time this show airs we may see the next Elvis or maybe the next Faith Hill. One never knows..

This show is very good for Country music..

I like seeing the raw talent..

Look whats happening with those reality TV shows, they are knocking the high budget, so called big TV shows/stars in the butt ! Same thing can happen here.

whad'ya make of that ...

tp

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 13 April 2003 at 04:52 AM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 5:48 am    

Charlie Robison doesn't need a day job to do real country. He has a multi-millionare Dixie Chick wife.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 6:06 am    

We won't hold that againt Charlie! LOL

I've only watched a couple times also. I wondered how the singers got picked.

American Idol has much better talent. I also love Simon!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 7:46 am    

Quote:
I've only watched a couple times also. I wondered how the singers got picked.

In two words..."sex appeal". The show (the few episodes I've watched) seems to feature 20 year-olds chosen for their buns and boobs, and not for their talent. Most are far too young to have any real experience, and without experience, you're probably not going to be very good anyway. (Sorry, in the 20 year-old bracket, the ones' who've really impressed me can still be counted on one hand.)

Music today is about sex appeal, and the ability to market that quality. If they (the producers) cared about music half as much as they do about money, then when you tuned in to a TV music special you'd see the old, the fat, and the ugly ones...with talent, style, and ability that most of these "sex-object" kids will probably only attain in their dreams.

Want to see what music on TV is really about? Next time you're watching, turn off the sound. The music only gets in the way of the "hidden product" they're usually pushing.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 8:19 am    

I played for a lot of the talent contest shows (Star Search, You Can Be A Star, 30 Seconds To Fame, American Idol, etc) so I hear rumors about why which people appear on which shows. "They" say that the contestants are required to sign very unfavorable contracts on some shows, in particular Nashville Star and Star Search. In other words, if you win, the show owns you for several years.
Last week did some overdubs for a girl who they said had won something on Nashville Star, but elected to drop out when she saw what she would have to sign in order to continue and "win" more. I wonder whether this is true however, since I think they would have seen all the contracts before her first appearance. I don't really know.
For example, would you feel good about winning $100,000 on Star Search if that you were allowed to spend that money only to record and promote your CD, and if you are allowed to hire only Star Search people as your producers and publicists, and if you had to pay back that $100,000 by recouping it as a low percentage of CD sales, with the accounting done by Star Search people?
"They" say that the deals on American Idol are more favorable to the artist, so that show tends to get better people.
I stress that these are rumors, and I have no personal knowledge of these contractual arrangements.

(Why did the Forum replace some of my text with *****? Have I offended the powers that run these talent contests, and do they really control this Forum? OK, I have edited my comments. )

[This message was edited by Earnest Bovine on 13 April 2003 at 09:28 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 9:04 am    

L-I-B-E-L, that's why.
David Biagini

San Jose, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 10:00 am    

"My L-I-B-E-L became final today..." Oops, I guess that's another song.

I agree with Tony, it's good to see people singing country music with a good band backing them up. Take it for what it is and enjoy it.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 5:18 pm    

We could be watching something else, with no Steel Guitars or Tele's , and no Country Tunes..

The first half of the batch were ejected by the judges and the viewers.

The last 5 out of the 6 are supposedly axed by the viewers only. Last man ( or gal ) standing gets to do sessions produced by Clint Black for Sony.

If the one who wins cuts a record, is on TV ,the radio and maybe has a video
on CMT and ends up with a little cash to boot..it's way better than what they have now, so it's a win win..

It's TV show..watch it or not..There's always "The Practice " re-runs...or Andy Griffith I suppose...

tp
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 6:22 pm    

Abraham! I'm fussier than you are about talent & good country music, & I dont find the show that bad, I think its great, that someone has given people an opportunity to become an artist, whether good or not so good, haven't I seen posts on here that try to encourage you, in your quest to become a steel player, from what I've read so far, I think your alone on this one! kr
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 7:02 pm    

Hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it have been fun to take Garth, Tim, Toby and a few other wahoo's when they were unknowns and put 'em on that show just see how they would fare?
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 4:35 am    

The show has a suck factor of about 10+.

If this is whats comming down the pike now-a-days..... No wonder the music is dyeing !!

(But, I must admit ..... Its better than what I've seen on GOO lately.)

Even on some award show the other nite, Toby Kith was in a crappy lookin' shirt and blue-jeans while everyone else was in tux and gowns. Go figure.......

Again, No wonder the music is dyeing..
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2003 5:26 am    

I watched the first show all the way through and as each performer er whatever came on, I kept looking for someone with talent. After that show I never bothered to watch again. Although we probably will get a new "SUPER" star marketed out of this Horseshirt.