| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boy that Shania is talented!
Eric Myers

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 7:53 am    

During the Superbowl Halftime she sang perfect and even sounded great when she went out in the crowd smiling and not even moving her lips! Wow!

PS Less tongue in cheek - not sure what 20 year old police songs have to do with the superbowl but Sting sure can sing and it was pretty obvious he wasn't "lip synching"

Where did the new Dylan video preview? I heard it was supposed to be at halftime on TNT but I couldnt find it

Cheers!
Eric
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 8:08 am    

She probably learned from some of those videos showing steel players whose fingers and bar are not moving!
Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 8:35 am    

Celine Dion lip syncing "God Bless America". I thought that was a real joke. The Dixie Chicks were great with their flawless three part harmony for the national anthem.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 9:15 am    

I too liked The Chicks on our National Anthem.

My wife -- no Shania critique -- asked me how come we couldn't hear the crowd, and then answered her own question when she saw her in the crowd. You could hear the crowd on the subsequent performances.

I figured they wanted the studio-correction, we've speculated about over the years, applied to Shania's vocals. She sure looked fine, though. And that's what it's really about these days.

------------------
HagFan

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 12:56 pm    

This is so funny. Shania Twain can't even lip sync!
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 1:40 pm    

I spent more time looking at the Goth outfit than listening. it was all in all pretty strange.
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 2:17 pm    

What a breath of fresh air to hear the Chicks outsing most of the previous Anthem singers especially the ones trying to change the melody of this famous song, with all that up & down wrong note yelling, go's to show that Country singers outshine the rest!
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 7:09 pm    

I watched the Saturday Night Live halftime show on NBC
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2003 5:19 am    

Boy that Shania is talented! I agree!
Celine,Sting, Santana and even the chicks impressed me.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2003 6:33 am    

Eric, the Dylan video premiered earlier during a break in TNT's showing of Gettysburg. The video is somehow related to the prequel to Gettysburg that will be coming out sometime soon. I was not too impressed with Dylan's song, although I was so caught up in the civil war visual that I didn't pay close attention to the words and music.

The Dixie Chicks were great, a vast improvement over the typical ball game national anthem rendition. They lipsynched also. Give Shania a break, she's a good pop singer and a great entertainer. I'd rather hear all of those singers in good form on a good mix rather than screeching and out of breath from dancing in a bad stadium mix.

And how about that Willy in the tax add. Is he still working on paying his back taxes?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2003 2:29 pm    

Out of curiosity, we keep hearing paople say that Shania is great for promoting the steel guitar by having one onstage in her band. I didn't see one this time. Maybe Marc was playing a different instrument (don't really know what he looks like).

Now don't blast me for this, it was a simple observation. I actually like Shania, with or without steel.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Bob Anderson

pemberton mn 56078
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2003 5:51 pm    

The statement was "Boy that Shania is talented".....Yes she is
Steve Pacholl

Minneapolis
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 6:48 am    

How many Nashville drag queens are now dressing like Shania? I'm sure the halftime show was an inspiration to them all.
Eric Myers

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2003 7:20 am    

Steve Earle, the Emperor of Nashville, hit it right on the money when he dubbed her "The highest paid lap-dancer in Nashville" =)
Joel Glassman

Waltham MA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2003 8:16 am    

Actual quote from Shania.com:
Shania describes how their relationship developed...

"Mutt's a huge country music fan," she says, smiling, "I may be the princess in his life, but Tammy Wynette is the Queen! The steek guitar is his favorite instrument. He was a fan of mine through my first album and wanted to meet me."

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2003 9:07 am    

Quote:
The steek guitar is his favorite instrument.
Was that your gaff or hers?
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2003 9:30 am    

Steve Earle is a Genius!
Eric Myers

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2003 10:17 am    

Quote:
The steek guitar is his favorite instrument

I hope she didn't mean the STEAK guitar Razz although that would explain a lot

[This message was edited by Eric Myers on 31 January 2003 at 10:19 AM.]

Niklas Widen

Uppsala, Sweden
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 1:03 pm    

steak guitar -> rickenbacker frying pan???
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 1:58 pm    

LOL!
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 3:24 pm    

Quote:
"Steve Earle, the Emperor of Nashville"

That explains a lot of things!

and yes, Shania is very talented, but if you take away her looks, songwriting ability, charasma, great productions, and awesome work ethic what do you have?
(no names please)
Eric Myers

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 5:55 pm    

For whatever reason to keep this thread going - from an article by Mark Morford:

"There she is, openly admitting in RS that not a single song on her new best-selling CD "Up!" means anything to her personally, not one song is the slightest bit about her or anything she really cares about, her desires or emotions or painful angst about her hair or teeth or life in a remote multimillion-dollar Swiss chalet, where she now lives.

There she is, shrugging off the fact that every single song was exhaustively, viciously, perfectly crafted in the studio to squeeze out the absolute highest quotient of commercial salability, with not a single shred of genuine integrity or even the pretense of authentic emotion or content, and of course there's not a single thing wrong with that, except that it's completely and depressingly disingenuous and hollow and sad and in an oil-drunk ShrubCo world, it feels like exactly the last thing we really need.

Here's a kicker: The music Twain cares most about, the songs that have something to do with what she's really about as a human and a woman and a Canadian and an "artist," she sings in her bathroom, with the door closed, and usually not even her husband can hear them, because she fears they're pretty much crap and have no commercial value and no catchy hooks and one would want to hear them. Yikes.

Maybe it's the utter shamelessness that makes this worthy of our attention, the completely spiritless and unabashed determination to simply inundate the world with vacuous pop nothingness that makes Twain such the ideal spokesmodel for exactly what's wrong with megacorporate machine-made pop-music culture.

She is, apparently, not even in it for the sheer joy of it, not for fame's swanky accoutrements, not for the love of pop songcraft, not for the rush of performing onstage, not for the sex or the drugs or the rock 'n roll. She says she doesn't really like pop stardom, has more money than she'll ever need and doesn't even like the record biz or performing and is admittedly antisocial and mechanical and impatient and asexual and terse. Hello, role model!

Then again, maybe Shania is to be applauded. Maybe she should be openly praised for not even pretending to be remotely passionate about the music itself, for not bothering with even the pretense of musical integrity or emotion or connection like other stars try to, instead only caring about her music's salability, its commercial success, the bottom line. Maybe she is the ideal spokesmodel, the living motto of a new breed of pop star: We don't even pretend to care. "

For the whole article http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2003/01/29/notes012903.DTL

Cheers!
Eric

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2003 9:49 am    

Eric,

Thanks for answering Joey's question. I was struggling with it.

------------------
HagFan

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2003 10:21 am    

RS sold out years ago, and hasn't been relevant for a couple of decades. Their editorial slant on artists seems to be related to that same artists willingness to pose nude on their cover. Nothing that comes out of that rag has any validity at all, from an artists point of view, and particularly not when they're accusing someone of selling out to the almighty market demographic.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black....

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 10:21 am    

A friend of mine bought "Up!" and lent it to me. The package includes two CDs, both with the same songs but different mixes. The pop CD is virtually unlistenable, to me. Oddly, it's the disk that my friend prefers. Go figure.

The so-called "country" CD, though, has some incredible steel guitar on it by Paul Franklin. I wish I could play like that. Say what you want about Shania, but Mutt Lange is pitching some world class steel playing into a very large market, and for that we should be grateful.

I'm returning the CD to my friend tomorrow, though. No chance that I'd buy it. It has too much Shania on it!

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic, Line6 Variax (coming soon)