| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is KID Rock... ???
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 10:47 am    

And what the heck is he doing on my TV on the Country Music channel ? Why the heck are they now playing his video in the CMT rotation ? He's ugly..he can't sing..and the song is rediculous...and he looks like he smells bad...and the guitar solo is out of tune ! A typical rock solo trying to sound Country...( A poor solo to boot )

Geesh...this is crazy !

Is it because he hooked up with Hank Jr. ?

Now he's a CMT hit ?

I guess he'll be on the Opry soon..probably already has for all I know... I hope they at least make him wash his hair before he goes on stage..

tp

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 11:13 am    

Get ready to see more of him on CMT, he just cut "Luckenbach, Texas" with Kenny Chesney!
Kid Rock Salutes Waylon
Matt Brydges

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 12:11 pm    

I'm assuming you're talking about the tune he did with Cheryl Crow called "Picture" or something like that...?

Yes, the guitar solo is well out of Tune, and out of Time - plus it is pretty much the same lick over and over. I'll bet my hat he did that one himself. He also can't sing, true, especially that low "G" that he goes for a couple times, including the FIRST LINE! This doesn't bother me as much as it should, mind you, as I'm familiar with his other stuff - rather it amuses me in an eye-rolling sort of way. I look at it in the light of "at least he's trying!"

Kid Rock's normal type of music is kind of like southern rock influenced RAP, (but he sings parts too). Some of my friends like his stuff. He also plays the trailer park look quite well, but that's what he goes for.

To be honest, I don't mind the song - given that it's new, from the rock side of things, and from a guy like Kid Rock! It's simple, straight forward, not cluttered with overdrive and drums etc. I enjoyed hearing Cheryl Crow sing this type of tune also.

It's not what I consider real country, but for what it is, I don't mind it - especially compared to a lot of the stuff on the radio. If you were to have a listen to some of Kid Rock's other stuff like "Cowboy" or "Bawitaba" you would most certainly realize that this is an improvement! (And probably throw the CD as far as you could after listening to it.)

If he lands on the Opry, I'll have to check if there are still stars in the sky, but I doubt it will happen yet, as his other hits are most certainly not country. You never know what will happen these days though. Who said you had to be able to play or sing (or even look presentable) to make it in the music business?! Either way I'd rather see him trying to put out this kind of stuff compared to his main style.

Matt

[This message was edited by Matt Brydges on 10 January 2003 at 12:14 PM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 12:11 pm    

Better ask Lynn Owsley... he played steel for Kid Rock!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 12:14 pm    

Some of these so called Rock Star/Country
( Look at me I'm a ) star collaborations are a joke...IS Kid Rock supposed to be some sort of highly respected talented musician that everyone wants to work with so they can be seen on TV with him ?

Is he ( Kid Rock ) the direction CMT is moving in ? Is he what the music producers feel the average Joe ( not Namath ) want to see on CMT video's ?

" Tonight, here on Larry King Live , It's Super Star Diva Faith Hill and her newest duet partner, Kid Rock "... " For the full hour "....

Matt..

If the tune on CMT is considered good compared to his "REAL" music..then Charlie Brown said it best..

Good Grief !!!

tp

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 10 January 2003 at 12:37 PM.]

Matt Brydges

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 12:29 pm    

Hehe, well Tony, if you haven't heard it, you probably don't want to either. If you're ever on Kazaa and decide to hear it for yourself, you can't say I didn't warn you!

Matt
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 2:12 pm    

No matter how bad & he's beyond terrible, does someone come on & says, Oh, I kinda like the song & he's not that bad, just shows that there actually are people out there that will support that garbage! & I give his marriage another 6 months, watch & see! kr
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 2:43 pm    

I heard he did a great duet with Pamela Anderson, though...
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 3:15 pm    

Forty-seven years ago, the folks at the Opry weren't too impressed with Elvis - it seems to me they've 'lowered the bar' since then.

I bet Kid Rock makes it on there.
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 3:18 pm    

CMT = Collecting Money (not) Talent.

But, it's just a matter of taste, and personally I'd rather hear Kid Rock than a nanosecond of Faith Hill.

Being presentable is a strange concept, I imagine the confines of that would be as about as flexiable as the concept of what country music is now that any artist once related to a country act or style can be a pop artist and still be considered part of the country market/genre.

I give his marriage at least three more years, Pammy is getting on ya know.
Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 4:23 pm    

The story is ...he was raised on country music, because of his Mother. He also has a jukebox in his crib filled with nothing but country music. Yo Yo ma brothas...chill!
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 5:02 pm    

Two words:

WHO CARES....!!!

------------------
Tim Harr - Carter D-10 8 & 9 - Troy Cook & the Long Haul Band

Matt Brydges

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 5:47 pm    

Kyle,

I'm not sure what to make of the tone of your response.
I'm familiar with his regular kind of music, and it's not what I like personally (though a lot of people like it, but it's not what I would consider 'real' music).

I said I don't mind the tune itself - for what it is - which I consider is a Pop or Rock tune, coming from two rock singers. Given those facts, I don't mind the tune! I like and play many styles of music, much more than pure country alone. However, compared to music I LIKE, it's at the bottom of the list. It very much stands that I would rather hear this 'Picture' song on the radio than ANY other Kid Rock tune, and I'm sure you would agree.

I did not say this is a country tune either - rather that I didn't consider it country, nor is it the kind of song I want country to become. I didn't say I would support it by buying the CD either, I wouldn't, BUT I'd rather see him try to put out a song with a melody and sung words, rather than sampled backing and screaming - his normal style.

Because I know he is like this usually, I get a kick out of him trying to pull off a normal song.
It's true he can't play or sing well if at all, I mentioned that before. But, I'd still rather see people putting out actual songs than more of this rap/noise stuff, as long as it's not on the Opry!

Matt
erik

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 5:48 pm    

Maybe it's because the song sounds mildly like George Jones doing Bartender Blues.
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 5:52 pm    

Two MORE words: THAT'S NICE = WGAS
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 7:24 pm    

I think Kid Rock is probably one of those hippies.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 5:11 am    

Bob,
A hippie that can sing!
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 12:05 pm    

Country Rap? I call it Crap.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 12:42 pm    

Theres plenty of hippies that can sing..he ain't one of them..

Bartender Blues is a Classic..this guys song is not similar in any way shape or form....if it weren't for Cheryl Crow on the song it wouldn't even be a song...

Think of it this way.. someone elses video or song was cut from rotation to add this guys lame excuse of a video/song..the only thing more lame is the program director who choose it to air on the CMT rotation.

Some prominent Country Artist or new artist who is trying to get recognition got canned for this guy...

When you turn on a Country Music channel and you get Kid Rock..well then..it's no wonder Country is falling by the wayside...

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 11 January 2003 at 02:16 PM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 2:18 pm    

"hippies"

Excuse me....what year is it?
Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 2:30 pm    

For what it's worth, Kid Rock forced a moment of silence for Waylon Jennings at last years Grammy Awards and there were plenty of country stars that could have. I thought that was pretty cool!

Terry
Matt Brydges

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 3:22 pm    

Tony -
"if it weren't for Cheryl Crow on the song it wouldn't even be a song..."

Bingo. It would certainly be a lot harder to listen to anyway.

Matt

[This message was edited by Matt Brydges on 11 January 2003 at 03:57 PM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 3:44 pm    

Quote:
"hippies". Excuse me....what year is it?

Dave, wake up! It's 1958. They're not called "hippies" yet. They're called "Beatniks" and I sure don't know what they're doing on CMT.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2003 3:47 pm    

Kenny: I've heard of that station; WGAS but can't recall where it was located......

Regards, Paul
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 6:27 am    

Omigawd, a freaky long haired no good with a cowboy hat yowling into the microphone over some crazed beat and electronic pumping device building in the background.. wait a minute.. ain't thet Doug Sahm and the Sir Douglas Quintet?