Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 6:34 pm    

7:00-8:00 Centrel
Porter Wagoner
Vince Gill
Anthony Smith
Willie Nelson

I did not get a ticket so I won't know until Saturday afternoon wheather I might get into one show or the other.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 10:23 am    

OK I give up. What is an Anthony Smith? Only Famous Smiths I know is jim and Cal and Carl. Jim is the better steel player.

------------------
CJC

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 10:42 am    

No relation!
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 12:19 pm    

From www.allmusic.com

Born in eastern Tennessee, this musician was in love with music from an early age. As a youngster, he would often gaze upon his father's baby blue Fender guitar. By the time Smith was six or seven, he was playing guitar and learning various songs. Smith was exposed to a variety of music, ranging from country artists such as Johnny Paycheck and Johnny Cash to '70s rock groups such as Aerosmith, ZZ Top, and Led Zeppelin. By his early twenties, Smith moved to Kentucky to hone his musical skills. While in Kentucky, he became a member of Sneaky Pete, a house band that would perform at the Soundstage Club. Telling everyone that this was a stepping stone to Nashville, he moved to Nashville a few years later. After networking through his contacts at labels and also numerous songwriters, he got a spot at a regular singer/songwriter's showcase at Nashville's The Broken Spoke. Mercury Nashville boss Luke Lewis received a demo of Smith's music and immediately liked what he heard. After offering Smith a home, Smith began writing for artists such as Lorrie Morgan, Sammy Kershaw, Lonestar, and Montgomery Gentry. His song "Didn't I" was also featured on the We Were Soldiers soundtrack. In 2001, Smith started work on his debut solo album. In June 2002, If That Ain't Country was released on Mercury Nashville.

[This message was edited by John Macy on 07 November 2002 at 12:20 PM.]

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 8:15 am    

Oh, so he has Sneaky Pete playing with him?
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 11:50 am    

Joe: You mean to say you ain't never heerd of Arthur Guitar Boogie Smith from NC ?? He also had a song somebody stole from him to use in that movie called Deliverance !! I think they paid him a little money later on after they got caught with too many banjos fueding around.....

Regards, Paul
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 3:10 pm    

Gee whiz, Joe. Now you've gone and busted my bubble about being a famous steel player!

Lem
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 7:11 am    

Darn it I forgot the "nearly famous" ,I'm sorry lets see there was Bubba Smith,Smiley Smith (well not really)but can you Imagine Smiley Smith son of Pocahantas and Man I hope something happens soon I can write about.Meanwhile tune in the Opry tonight and see if "Smith Happens":0

------------------
CJC

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 1:46 pm    

Paul, I am glad to finally find one person that remembers Arthur Smith doing a thing called the Eleven String Strum with a guitar and banjo. When I heard deliverance, I knew immediately it was what Arthur used to play. I was playing some banjo at the time and wanted to find a guitar player to do it, but never did. I have mentioned this song to several people over the years, but you are the first one that I have ran across that doesn't think I am crazy and that such a song existed before Deliverance.
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 6:02 pm    

A GREAT SHOW! The sound screwed up on the first song and must have electrocuted Vince Gill and stopped the show but he laughed it off and asked John Hughey to save the show which he did. Porter has lost it sorry to say and Willie had been in Tootsie's too long but their performance was enjoyable. Not too impressed with Anthony Smith but his song was kind of original. I did however enjoy the Cherry Bombs with Rodney Crowell. They were good and although the songs were retro rock, they were not offensive, imagine that! It's worth watching the re-run at 11.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 6:51 pm    

To me, the whole show looked like amateur hour at the local gin joint. Irrespective of the monitor amps blowing up, the whole show looked and sounded like an unrehearsed jam session.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 9:46 pm    

Jim, I didn't think it sounded that good. Who said you had to have talent, sing and play well to be on the Opry. I think it started slow and then tapered off.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 9:48 pm    

Jim, I didn't think it sounded that good. Who said you had to have talent, sing and play well to be on the Opry. I think it started slow and then tapered off.
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 10:35 pm    

Speaking of Smiths on the Opry, I think Connie and Jack are two of the greatest!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 3:22 am    

Maybe it's me...it must be me...

Willie writes and sings great..no doubt..but....his band ...his live playing....is it me ?

Ok now I'm gonna say it...I don't want to ..but I am...

I've quit better bands than that !

Are we at a point now that some folks can just play LIVE on a national show just because of who they are ? IF someone is a Legend that makes it ok to just show up and
wing it ?

My daughter said to me last night.."Geeze dad, you sing "Momma's don't...." better than him , and no offense Dad, you stink !"

No offense taken..I agree...

The great Fred Newell on Steel, playing the correct Ralph Mooney licks behind a front man who was basically singing a different tune..Why does Willie have all those musicians in the band? He reminds me of my good friend Fred XXX who I worked with in Ct for many years, Fred would just sing the tunes like a jukebox and not worry about if we were with him or not. Many times ..not...
But that was at the American Legion, not LIVE on the OPRY..

ok...thats enough..

YES..two Smiths..Jack and Connie are the best.

Although I was presently suprised by Anthony Smith..catchy tune with nice band arrangement
with Steel and Guitar.

It's early..I'm still tired..it shows...

tp

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 10 November 2002 at 03:31 AM.]

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 6:36 am    

All seriousness aside, Tootsies should have hosted last nights show.Come to think of it maybe they did...Loosen up guys it ain't often you see so many Legends on one stage...It may never happen again (lord I hope not) You want tight,have Willie do "whiskey river" with Porter giving harmony. Porter was great on "good hearted woman".no correct that Phenominal no correct that su,-nah he sounded like $hit. Willie plays a great lead whether you want him to or not,He could have les Paul in the band and he'd still do all the lead. probably put ole Les on Accoustic.But then again ,what is a Legend supposed to do Anyway? Pete Fischer was having fun.And so was I watching it.We may never see such a classic (train wreck") again.at least until next week. Willie said "He has seen lots of train wrecks" and he said "that this was a good one".Well this one cracked me up...Mike W. you better get some of your Biz cards passed out at the Opry looks like a lot of biz coming soon. talk about $hit Happens, It does.and did..

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 10 November 2002 at 06:53 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 8:15 am    

Willie was playing with Porter's band, not his own. I should correct my original post, John Hughey sounded great on Look At Us, and he did in fact save the show!

Did anyone else watch the rerun and notice that they had a Willie Nelson interview at the beginning of the show instead of the monitors blowing up?
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 8:16 am    

Watching the re-broadcast this morning, I see they edited out the 'Blast'. Must have been brutal - both Vince and Andrea lunged backwards at the same moment! OUCH! The Zum sounded great, John. Nice work.

------------------
Fessenden SD10 - Mesa/Boogie amps

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 2:09 pm    

Can't blame Billy Johnson Fred Newell for that what ever you call it.I wouldn't have minded a stint with the Legend myself in time or not..Still all in all it was a fun night I had to watch the re-run.,and I taped it this time ony they edited the blast.

------------------
CJC

Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 3:29 pm    

This is not to speak disrespectful of Porter--he has been very good for country and country has been good to him ....but.... Porter is long past due for retirement. His voice kept looking for the correct intonation and I really don't think he hit the right tone even once after all that searching for the right one.

I was also surprised how badly Bill Carlisle’s health has apparently became (I assume the wheelchair was for real.)
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 6:24 pm    

Mike W.
In response to your comment(s), "great show" evidently the Opry didn't think so because for the first time ever in the history of the Opry on T.V, they had to edit part of it out for the 2 replays, as it will be forever known as "TrainWreck night"
In response to Vince laughing off the poor Monitors he actually Cussed out the Camera Person while playing Lead behind Rodney, and even acted as though he was going to kick the Camermaperson. I guess we almost categorically disagree, but thanks for this forum to express ones opinion.
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2002 2:10 pm    

You had to be there to believe it. I happened to be walking by the Grayline tours trailer on 2nd avenue and heard about tickets.
I ended up 3 rows from the back on the floor
in Sec 7
It was a sight to see Vince and his problems.
I ended up talking to the console guy later in the alley and he said it was a computer problem.
I did not get autographs but I was there when Vince and Willie left the building before 11pm.
As for the Cherry Bombs it was interesting one of their numbers was the more current Ashes By Now. I'm guessing it was Stars on the Water that was cut.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2002 4:13 pm    

Yes, Stars On The Water was not on the televised portion.

I'm listening to the archive at work, and heard another catastrophe. He introduced Mel McDaniel, the band started Louisiana Saturday Night, but no Mel. Vince tried to sing the first verse for him until he showed up. Poor guy!
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2002 4:19 pm    

Jim that must have been the late show.
We were "Standing Up" during the early set

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2002 5:03 pm    

Yes it was. I listen to the archives every week and wish Mel would, at least once in a while, sing something other than those two songs.