| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMA Awards
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 2:53 pm    

"The two boys in Nickel Creek probably think they have to look "edgy" to make some kind of statement."

OR - they are a couple guys in their early 20s with trendy haircuts.

So much is said about the way people dress. I don't think it really matters how they dress. Should everyone dress like Buck and the Buckaroos did? I thought country was a genre of MUSIC.

If I have a problem with Shania (and the other pop acts being called country), it's that she SOUNDS like pop/rock, and when her pop/rock songs climb the country charts, there is little room for the real country music. That is a disservice to the genre of country music. But her looks...well, dang, she looks GREAT.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 8:19 am    

Quote:
So much is said about the way people dress. I don't think it really matters how they dress.
The business, for the most part, isn't about music, it's about packaging, marketing and image.
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 10:34 am    

Hey, I'm glad y'all are mentioning the best producer in Nashville, A-L-I-S-O-N K-R-A-U-S-S. [One L, three S's, no E. Please.]

Sounds as if the Creekers may have received a bum steer from their image consultants. They do have some nice recordings, however.

I would say tastefully-produced, melodic acousti-pop is closer to country music than the pyrotechnic, melodramatic diva stuff...like Toby Keith.

------------------
Jeff
Pale Monk of Cowtown

"If it sounds good, it is good."

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 11:24 am    

"The business, for the most part, isn't about music, it's about packaging, marketing and image."

Yeah, I understand that, but I thought we, being musicians, actually LISTEN to the music. The image thing is geared to the general public who needs(?) the spectacle to keep their interest. I'd think WE would objective enough to separate the wardrobe from the music and base our criticisms on how people sing and play their instrumtents, not how their hairstyle might bug us.

[This message was edited by Chris Walke on 08 November 2002 at 11:25 AM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 12:15 pm    

Chris, We're all human, certain things bug certain people for no reason at all. People give me a hard time for having long hair, four ear-rings and lots of tattoos. Even though I play what most would call "real" country music, some old-timers hate me for the way I look. Sometimes, ya just can't win.
Jerry Johnston

Roscommon,MI. USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 4:48 pm    

I thought the song Lee Ann sang was definitely not just hit material, but "Country Standard" material. Her delivery, I fealt, was substandard but at least she didn't scream---ala Martina McBroad.
Even if I could stand to listen to Nickle Creek---which I can't, I couldn't stand to look at them. Hell, I don't even like jazz on a Steel---and it totally destroys good blue-grass.

Started with no talent--still have most of it.
Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 10:21 am    

I only saw Big Al Anderson playing guitar with Vince Gill. What a treat!

Sam in AZ