| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMA Awards
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 8:57 pm    

The question "How Do You Like Me Now" was answered tonight for Toby "Kunta" Keith when he FAILED to garner an award at the CMA awards show. Alan Jackson cleaned house along with Brad Paisley. True country music prevailed this year. Shanana opened the show by riding a Harley on stage and singing something. I was mezmerized by her sultry lips and her subliminal pelvic movements. Leanne Womack looked almost as good and sang a GREAT country song that you could really rub bellies to! Travis Tritt was GREAT as always and it Allison Krause and Union Station was wonderful. She is a wonderful singer and what a band. Jerry Douglas was named Musician Of The Year. The worst performance would have been a tie between Nickel Creek and Keith Urban. Neither came close to the word country, not even by Theresa's definition! Nickel Creek looked like hammered sh!t and Keith Urban looked like he'd just came in from a 5 hour roll in the hay with a kangaroo! BOTH performances sucked sh!t and were an embarrassment to the entire show. Outside of those few glitches, it was an evening for real country music. It would be nice if the powers that be would take notice and govern themselves accordingly. Keith Stegall can't do it alone!
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 9:51 pm    

If you didn't know the difference between Iraq and Iran, would you admit it? Would you sing about it? Is it country to be ignorant and proud of it?
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 9:58 pm    

Quote:
Is it country to be ignorant and proud of it

......Isn't that a "blonde" question?
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 10:08 pm    

Mike, I have to agree with you about Creek and urban. They're missing it as far as country goes.
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 10:32 pm    

Well, for starters Iran ends wth an "n" and Iraq with a "q", but I don't know for sure which of them has more steel players...

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 10:40 pm    

The Best part of the show, was the final score, AJ 6 Toby 0
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 12:02 am    

Quote:
If you didn't know the difference between Iraq and Iran, would you admit it? Would you sing about it? Is it country to be ignorant and proud of it?
When we're done bombing them for their oil, you won't be able to tell them apart.
Gaylon Mathews

Jasper, Georgia
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 3:52 am    

Mike,
I wonder how much money Nickel Creek spent on firecrackers to get those hairdoos? My 7 year old son who is taking singing lessons was sent out of the room during their performance in fear that he would want his hair styled that way!

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.geocities.com/nashville/1064

Craig Collins & High Lonesome
www.craigcollins.org

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 5:16 am    

Well I feel the difference between Iraq and Iran is abundantly clear...one of them is "NOT" about to be nuked !

Is that the right answer ?

Yes,,Brad and Alan..congrats..two of my very favorite performers , players and bands.

well deserved..

Sorry Toby, My answer to your question is still the same..no change..

tp

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 6:18 am    

Once again Mike says it like it is or was. Toby found out it's different when your up for awards and real Country (at least last night)people are the judge. Loved it when Vince joked about kenny and his horse ride.Nice to hear one female singer who isn't a screamer and nice to see a CMA show that was actually mostly Country..George Strait didn't do a song "for the fun of it" so he didn't get to walk on the stage with Alan this year.Toby looked Pissed off but at least he can go home and "talk about himself" to himself and nobody will care. And Nickel creek should change their name to "up the creek" because thats where they belong without a paddle.Keith Urban pure unadulterated Horse$hit.That's all from ole fil os o fur today . tune in again next year and see Toby Kieth do his new Country hit. "Nobodys talkin about me". Finally somebody in Nashville is listening.Now if only the radio stations were. Congrats to Porter and Bill.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 07 November 2002 at 10:10 AM.]

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 6:36 am    

[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 06 December 2004 at 12:52 AM.]

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 7:36 am    

I'm not sure why Nickel Creek did not translate to TV last night. They are some fantastic musicians, and their first album was one of my most played last year (produced by Allison Krause). They are pretty young, just in their early twenties. I still haven't figured out how they got such a great bluegrass influence growing up in Orange County, CA. They are also fine people, very upfront about sharing their Christian beliefs, and have a great future in front of them. Not traditional country, but very respectful of their roots, and selling a bunch of records for an indie artist.

They deserve a second listen...
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 7:37 am    

quote:

Is it country to be ignorant and proud of it?

No, but it's profitable.

-John
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 8:11 am    

Wait a minute! Go back and check the lyrics. Alan doesn't say that he doesn't know the difference in Iraq and Iran. He says he's not sure he can tell us... That doesn't indicate to me that he's ignorant.

------------------
HagFan

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 8:23 am    

Quote:
Go back and check the lyrics. Alan doesn't say that he doesn't know the difference in Iraq and Iran. He says he's not sure he can tell us... That doesn't indicate to me that he's ignorant.
Ron, you are correct. I was wrong to jump to that conclusion.
[inappropriate non-musical off-topic political comment deleted]

[This message was edited by Earnest Bovine on 07 November 2002 at 08:26 AM.]

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 8:40 am    

He is not sure he knows the difference between Iraq and Iran, BECAUSE he watches CNN! Unfortunately, that line about watching CNN sort of turns me off in this song...

Your local pit-bull conservative,

Frank

------------------
Frank Estes - 1978 Emmons D-10 8+7 #2441D

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 9:33 am    

Missed the show. I'm surprised Nickel Creek is getting such bad reviews. They musta had a bad night.

I saw them open for Lyle Lovett and they were absolutely fantastic. Their style is kind of a mix tho', so I guess if you were looking for pure country, you wouldn't get it from them. They kinda blend bluegrass/country/folk/a little light jazz into their songs. A very impressive group of YOUNG musicians. Give 'em time to grow before you give up on them.

Haven't seen the Dixie Chicks mentioned at all. Not part of the show? Any nominations? This last album, they brought their music back to the front porch. No drums, no electric instruments.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 9:47 am    

The Chicks won an award last night, but I guess they weren't interested enough to show up to receive it.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 10:18 am    

Why do they call Brooks and Dunn a "vocal duo"?
Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 10:26 am    

Quote:
The Chicks won an award last night, but I guess they weren't interested enough to show up to receive it.

Emily's supposed to domino (her chick is due to hatch) any day now; Martie probably is home with the ammonia again. Too bad Lloyd couldn't have shown up at least.

Quote:
Why do they call Brooks and Dunn a "vocal duo"?

I've been trying to figure that one out for ten years. I guess there's no category for singer/cheerleader duo in which to place Brooks and "Dung".
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 10:29 am    

Quote:
They kinda blend bluegrass/country/folk/a little light jazz into their songs.

That's a pretty good description of Nickel Creek. I didn't see the show last night, so can't comment on how that compared to the time I saw them in concert, though.
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 10:31 am    

Well, I lied. I did see PART of the show.

I'll have to say that Darryl Worley sounded pretty bad with that rendition of "I'll Miss My Friend". Not sure what happened, but I didn't care for it. And I really LIKE that song, and have heard him do it MUCH better live (and on the CD).
DJ Sillito

Lethbrige, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 10:45 am    

Overall I enjoyed the show. Alot of live performances which was great.

Congrats to Allan although you could tell he felt a little awkward about receiving all those awards. He still deserved them!

Also there were a few performmances that seemed a little different(being very diplomatic here) such as the ones mentioned already plus I would include Montgomery Gentry.

George looked awkward without his guitar strapped around him but he sounded great as usual.

Deanna Carter's dress! Yikes!

Being a duo act is tough with Brooks and Dunn in the same category.

Anyways overall good show I thought with talented musicians and a variety of singers.

DJ
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 12:08 pm    

The two boys in Nickel Creek probably think they have to look "edgy" to make some kind of statement. Too bad. I thought they sounded fantastic when I first saw them on the Opry a couple of years back, and they let their abilities do the talking, not the wingnut hair-do's.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 2:36 pm    

Joe Casey said it all nearly. I liked Nickel Creek (except for the funky hair) better than Allison Krausse. Im just not into that bluesy depressed dark looking act stuff. Those kids in Nickel Creel can really pick. They may need a little time to get rippened up but man Im tellin you they are really good. Im also really glad to see REAL country (Allen Jackson) take home the awards. Maybe that'll send a message to GAYlord. I also thought Shania sucked but I always do so thats nothing new.

Rick Garrett
P.S. There were some cool shots and sounds of and from the steelers and that made it worth setting through some of the crap!