The Legends' Opry will feature many of the legends of country music,
bluegrass and gospel. The show will run approximately 2-3 hours and would be
concluded with a special "meet and greet" time where the audience can meet
their favorite stars, get autographs and pictures with the artists. Here are
a few questions that we'd like your input on:

1) What about the concept?
2) The main, regular artists would be comprised of many of your favorites
that rarely appear on the Grand Ole Opry
3) After each show, the artists do an autograph line.
4) At first, we'd probably do a matinee, Saturday afternoon, 2-4pm. We'll
increase the shows as attendance demands.
5) Tickets would be available at the door, phone or via our website

If you have any additional comments or suggestions, feel free to contact me
at rick1ryan@yahoo.com.

Thanks guys/gals. Let's keep it country.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 4:53 pm    

Hmmm...comptition for the Opry? Would this be only stars who aren't asked to play the Opry? Reason I ask...I have the feeling that present Opry "legend" stars might be forced to "make a choice". Would they be willing to do that? Would they give up the "Opry" altogether so they could do it "their way" someplace else?
Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 5:16 pm    

Its sad that the Opry outgrew the Stars that made it, I would love to see them have a show to compete with, of the older opry stars. Would be interesting to see who would go to the new show and who would stay with the opry that doesn't want them anymore.
The Grand old Opry is gone,,now we have the grand new opry. Shut up Wayne !!!!!!

------------------
Wayne Morgan
BMI D10 8x8, Nash 400,Profex II,'63 Fender Super Reverbe,and '71 telecaster custom

Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 5:42 pm    

The concept is great! Actually doing it would be a very challenging task. I dont think it could compete with the Opry, but it sure woul'nt hurt to have a showcase like that available for the public to be able to enjoy seeing the legends, and the new traditional artists.

Leigh
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 6:03 pm    

With all of the older talent there in and around Nashville....most likely with some personal contacts in the field of high finance....one might speculate that the Roy Clarks, Mel Tillis' and others could put together some kind of a finance package that would be adequate to purchase back The Ryman Auditorium........
Staged somewhat like the old Opry Shows...
with a good mix of blue grass, traditional country and Gospel throughout each show....I for one, believe it would have a better than average chance for success.
Perhaps the City of Nashville might be pursuaded to support such a concept. No tough decisions here for the new breeds. If they chose to continue their Rock and Roll trends they could stay at Opry Land.
A lot of people used to say that Branson MO. would never make it. It did, didn't it? I don't know as I've never been there.
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 6:07 pm    

I think it's a great idea. To feature those who don't get any air time any more in any media, or perhaps very little time.

It would be somewhere where the greats of the past could be recognized as well as seen.

I'd love to see those old folks in concert again, but I think it should not be necessary limited to people who make the Opry.

Why would those who are still on the Opry have to make a choice to choose one or the other?

The younger stars of today will eventually be replaced, and would still have a place to go to perform and be seen by fans of their day.

Hey, Travis Tritt at 65 with long grey hair still belting out T-R-O-U-B-L-E. Cool.
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 6:29 pm    

If it did happen then all ages who are real country should be in the mix.I bet there are alot of young country singers who cant get on the opry, who would jump at something like this.If this is only about giving the older stars a place to play on Sat. night then father time will soon knock at the door and the legends will be no more.The future of the show would need young country acts to keep it going.It would also be nice to have it on the radio.I like the idea ,but would it work?

[This message was edited by Andy Alford on 25 October 2002 at 07:30 PM.]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 8:30 pm    

I think Donny has raised a valid point. If it becomes a competitive thing, the GOO would probably bar any participating acts that played on that show from going back to the GOO. It has potential but it could be bad news if you are still active on to GOO stage.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2002 10:04 pm    

It will never happen....end of story.
Ricky
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2002 1:18 am    

Ricky is right......
It will NEVER happen.

Why.....???

Money !!!
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2002 9:15 am    

Bill's right. Everybody wants to complain,but nobody wants to invest. Well,let me tell ya, if I hit that 85 mil Powerball........

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com
Jim Florence

wilburton, Ok. US * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2002 2:56 pm    

Don't know why it wouldn't work, every Loretta Lynn,Mel Tilles,Ray Price, etc: show still "Sell Out" wherever they appear.
Besides it's not all that hard to finance a show. You don't have to own the building. It couldn't and shouldn't be called GOO. Matter of fact, it wouldn't even have to be in Gnashburg. At one time Circa 1973, Roy Clark and some others were in the process of presenting the public with Tulsa as an alternative to Nashville as "Music City".
JMHO Jim

[This message was edited by Jim Florence on 26 October 2002 at 03:59 PM.]

Randy Carson

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2002 4:57 pm    

i would think they could turn the early show on the opry before the televised show, into the legends show the older crowd could get home early gaylord would be a hero instead of the bully and everybody wins. noway will they ever sell the ryman though.

------------------
Randy Carson
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2002 5:15 pm    

Quote:
noway will they ever sell the ryman though.

Gaylord has sold most everything else in their entertainment division so it could happen

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Leigh Howell

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2002 5:21 pm    

After just watching a small portion of the Opry tonight. I hope someone does something in a hurry!!! Altho, the part of the Opry their destroying is the TV portion, right? The rest of it still features traditional country. Or did when I was there in Sept 01.
The problem as Bill, and Smiley, have already stated, is Money! Money! Money!
I've started buying cd's produced by independent labels. Iris Dement.Dale Ann Bradley. Matraca Berg. Patty Loveless. And Dolly Parton etc. are putting out some songs, and arrangements that I enjoy. And they use quite a bit of steel, and Dobro. They may not make a Million on each record, but they will make a nice living, and can truthfully call themselves country!! Leigh

[This message was edited by Leigh Howell on 26 October 2002 at 06:25 PM.]

Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 4:53 am    

This show can be a GO. The members of the country music community are free to perform where they please and when they please. I honestly believe some might even be ready to drop their Opry affiliation if it came to that. I would love to see this thing take off and would support this project over "The Opry". Pat
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 5:20 am    

This was tried many years back not as a competition for the GOO but to get people back downtown in Nashboig.The shows were put on at the War Memorial Autiorium E.T.headlined the show that featured established and many up and coming stars at the time Like Penny DeHaven,Bobby G. Rice T. Tommy MC'd and they put on a 2 2 1/2 hour show. Doc Peters and myself backdoored the shows which had Willie Rainsford Stu-Basore in the back up band.These were sparsely attended and lasted only about 3- 4 shows..It could work if the artist not getting Air play support it and maybe borrow a few bucks from Garth whats his name.They should put some money back into a business that made them Multi Kazillion - aires. Sure would give Nashburg something for tourist to go to. AND keeping the %$#@en GAY-lords out of it probably would make it a great success.

------------------
CJC

Lefty Schrage

West Union, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 5:51 am    

I think the idea might be successful if the show could be located at the Ryman so the present Opry attendees who like traditional country, bluegrass, and gospel wouldn't have to be attracted to a new location (which wouldn't have the history of the Ryman). The issue of 'making money' was mentioned before in this thread and and is important because there remains a basic question as to whether a Legends Opry would break even or turn a profit. Apparently Gaylord Productions thinks the format has to be changed to make the Opry survive as a business venture--but then we don't know what kinds of costs, overhead, etc. they included in their analysis. If a profitable picture can be projected for a Legends Opry at the Ryman, I'd say go for it.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 6:39 am    

I wonder if this is what Lloyd Green was alluding to during his set in St Louis...
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 2:09 pm    

Y'all DO know that those of us who love "old," or "classic" country, are in the minority, don't you? Shania goes what, 5 years without making a record, and then makes one that goes straight to #1? Ray Price makes a new record, and we talk about it here on the Forum. See what I'm talking about? We used to be called "fans," and that was cool, because the record companies knew we'd buy that next record by-----
But now we're a "demographic!" And unfortunately, we're a small one. This New Country Stuff, appeals to the kids who don't have good rock bands to listen to anymore. Not that the country's good, either, but their money is more plentiful. And how are you gonna make a kid understand "Invitation to the Blues?"
So a "Legends Opry?" Great idea!! But do you think the local "16-great-country-hits-in-a-row" radio station is gonna support it?
Will the Opry support it?
And, just how long will WE support it? Honestly, now? It'd be great to have something like the Louisiana Hayride back on, but the big shots with big money, ain't gonna let it happen.
Not 'till everybody switches from Skoal, back to Tube Rose.
Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2002 3:52 pm    

Steve,if I may call you that, has hit the nail on the head.
I hate to admit it but your right, times have changed.
We all need to read the book, "Who moved my cheese?"

Jack

------------------
RUS-LER S-10, NV 400
TELE's,STRAT, FENDER TWIN

[This message was edited by Jack Francis on 27 October 2002 at 03:53 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jack Francis on 27 October 2002 at 08:21 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jack Francis on 28 October 2002 at 05:17 AM.]

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2002 1:35 pm    

Latest update is that the opry members will commit but they need attendence of 500 at the first show to cover expences.
Hopefull start up date will be Mar 2003

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Leigh Howell

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2002 4:06 pm    

It would be a wonderful thing if this could somehow work out!! To know that the Opry Legends support it is encouraging.

Leigh
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2002 10:48 pm    

Jack, call me anything you want to, man. And Janice, if we gotta sell 500 tickets to get the first show going, then what happens when the novelty wears off? Or when Buddy, Lloyd, or whoever ain't there for a few weeks?
PLEASE, don't get me wrong, I love the idea almost as much as the music itself! But if we have to sell "X" number of tickets, just to get the first show off the ground, I got a feeling we're feeding a dying pig.
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2002 10:00 am    

Y'know, I first read the subject line as "Pose-able Opry Legends." Can you imagine, little dolls in the likeness of your favorite performers, maybe a "Deluxe Ryman Stage" (sold separately, of course!). Collect them all!

Hey, the "Deluxe Ryman Stage" could also be a cd player that comes with a collection of Opry performances so you can have little concerts in your very own home. By Mattel!

Too much coffee this morning, apparently.

[This message was edited by Chris Walke on 30 October 2002 at 10:58 AM.]