| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kind Woman" Buffalo Springfield
Joel Glassman

Waltham MA USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 9:55 am    

I always thought Richie Furay's "Kind Woman"
was an exceptional song--definitely worth covering by a contemporary singer. Has this ever happened? If not, who do you think would be the one to sing it? I say Ray Charles :^) ---Joel
Randy Pettit

North Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 11:33 am    

Excellent choice. I'd like to hear Eric Clapton take a run at it, adding some tasty Strat riffs and such.
Rich Weiss

Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 3:30 pm    

Great song. If it wasn't for this song, Poco may never have formed, at least not with Rusty on steel. For a long time, I thought it was an electric guitar playing all the runs. When I found it was a steel I was shocked, as I'd never heard so much single note playing coming from a steel guitar in a rock-like context. I guess it's because of this particular song that I took up this **** instrument.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2002 1:47 am    

Great topic, I never actually thought of a current "STAR" type covering Kind Woman, but
now that it has been brought up I am amazed no-one has covered it, even as an album filler. It is a fine tune for sure and like many, this was my first introduction to actually paying attention to Pedal Steel , of course after I learned that it actually was a Pedal Steel. One of my early Country sort of Rock bands did play this and other Springfield and Poco tunes, there were so many good songs from that lineup. I guess many of us are still connected to that Springfield/Poco lineup even after more than 30 years.
tp

TPrior/SteelGuitarHomesite
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2002 6:17 am    

It was definitely the song that turned my life around. No doubt. I've thought of covering it for my next solo project, but dunno how I'd play both the vocal line and all the "bobbing and weaving" steel fills... maybe dobro on the vocal line? Hmmmm...

As for a top star covering it, I think it would sound great in the hands of ... (drumroll please!).... Lyle Lovett!
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2002 9:56 am    

It's one of the few country rock waltzes I can think of.What strikes me now when I hear that song is how dry the steel was mixed.