| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Info on Gibson Console D8/7?
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2003 6:06 pm    

At a local music store is what the tag says is a Gibson Console Grande. It's in pretty rough shape, but it seems to work and it's got the legs. I didn't have time to really check it out, but it makes a noise when you plug it in and pluck a string, and the knobs seemed to work okay. It's as heavy as %*&#, too.

If I go down to give it a better look, what should I look for? What's desirable or not in these steels? Is it supposed to have one eight-string neck and one seven-string neck, or is this some previous owner's butchery... urm, "modification." How can I know what year it is, what are the knobs supposed to do, what's a reasonable price to pay, etc. etc.

If anybody knows anything about these guitars, I'd be grateful for the info. Thanks.

-Travis
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2003 10:23 pm    

I see no one has replied to this Post as of this moment, so; I can only tell you bits and pieces. I don't know exactly the date when they went out of production, but; there was a time when I ordered a Gibson Console Grande, expecting to receive one such as the one you mention. This was one of the first Double-neck steels that I saw advertised, when I was in the market to get one. It was very early '50's.(about '51/'52) However, when I received my guitar, it turned out to be a Double-8, w/4-screw-in legs, as opposed to 3-pop-twist legs. I was told at the time that the 8/7 had been discontinued. The only really bothersome trait that I know of is the fact that the pop-twist legs were a little wobbley. The screw-in legs were much more sturdy! Soundwise, they were good sounding guitars for their time. I remember they had a 23” scale, but; that's about all I can remember, besides they came with a choice of permanent length legs for sitting or adjustable length legs for either sitting or standing. They came also either Natural-Blonde or Gibson Sunburst finish. If I was checking one out to buy, the only things that I would make sure of are: 1) Does it work electronically? and 2) How much does it wobble? Sorry, but; that's the only help that I can offer. I wouldn't go so far as to say: “It's worth a King's Ransom”!

------------------
“Big John” {(<< Uh~
http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels
Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2003 7:42 am    

Gruhn's Guide says that the 7- and 8-string combination was standard from when the Console Grand was introduced in 1938 until production was suspended in 1942. (When production re-started in 1948, the double-8 was standard. The change to four legs was "by 1953.")

If it has mute levers, it was produced before mid-1939. A metal plate under both fingerboards was added at the same time the mutes were removed.

[This message was edited by Russ Young on 21 September 2003 at 04:45 PM.]

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2003 9:17 am    

I've always assumed mine was a late '30's, early '40's model. it's a double 7-string, with Charlie Christian pickups with adjustable polepieces. It's black, with huge MOP block markers. The finger-boards sort of come to a point. it's a pretty good sounding guitar.
Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2003 11:01 am    

John -- Yours would be from between '38 and '42. Any combination of 6, 7 or 8 strings was optional during that time; most had a dot inlay, but some had a block inlay. The post-war models had two P90s in place of the pre-war Charlie Christians.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2003 11:51 am    

Thanks for the info Russ. I've been wondering about this guitar for some time. I'd never seen one with such huge block inlays. And the adjustable polepieces on the CC pickups were something I'd never seen in any type of CC pup.
JB