| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wayne Kemp
Jason Powers

Muncie, IN
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2002 11:54 am    

I have a musician friend whose band plays a Wayne Kemp song called "Harlan County" Is there anybody on the forum who could help set me up with some of his recordings? I love his songwriting, but I know next to nothing about his singing, and I have seen it posted on the forum that in the opinion of many of you he is one fine country singer.
Thanks to anyone who can help. Jason
Jerry Johnston

Roscommon,MI. USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2002 12:39 pm    

I have a Wayne Kemp album on MCA records called Kentucky Sunshine. Wayne is a fine writer and singer. Harlan County is not on this album but there is one that was recorded by George Strait-written by Wayne--called Burn Another Honkytonk Down. Wayne also wrote The Fireman.

Hope this helps. Jerry Johnston

Started with no talent--still have most of it.

------------------
Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2002 6:36 pm    

Back in about 1980 a fella by the name of Joe Pain (real name Ernest Trent) recorded a tune called "Harlan County Line" in Detroit with Donny Saxton (who has been brought up on this forum before) on steel among other Midwest late 70's and early 80's country icons. Anyway, my dad worked on the road with Joe at this time and they frequently played the song. Fast Forward about 10 years, my dad records the song. While I was growing up I always remember my dad doing the song but none of us knew anything about it or where it came from. We always knew it was a great song and crowds really liked it. Fast Forward again to just a little under a year ago, local classic country DJ and historian Bob Weber discovers a song called "Harlan County Line" by Wayne Kemp, here it is the same song. This song has been a 20 year enigma in the St. Cloud MN country scene. Our close friend, the beautiful and talented Betty Lee worked with Wayne Kemp many years ago in Tulsa OK, I believe. She has a lot of stories that I could relay about him at another time. But, I think, this song's history is a pretty darn good story.
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2002 7:49 pm    

Wayne Kemp had a great country ballad around 1970 entitled, "Who'll turn out the lights"
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2002 7:53 pm    

He also wrote a #1 for Conway Twitty in the mid to late 70s called "Darling". This may not be the complete title of the song but Hughey did some excellent "crying steel" on it.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Doyle Weigold

CColumbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2002 8:09 pm    

I beleive the biggest single that Wayne wrote and recorded himself was "Award to an Angel". My band had the privilege of backin' Wayne several times, probably 10 years ago. I can't say enough good about Wayne. He's a super picker, writer, singer, and entertainer in my book.
Doyle Weigold

CColumbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2002 8:41 pm    

I Beleive Wayne Kemp wrote "The Image Of Me'that Conway had a hit with also. "One Peice At A Time" that Johnny Cash had a hit with.
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 2:52 am    

What a super country singer; picker & writer.
Let's not forget all of his "Angel" songs too."Borrowed Angel"; "Forbidden Angel" & "Fallen Angel"...& he always played a Tele!!!! Ron
andy sainio

espoo,finland
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 3:24 am    

Yep,all so true but let's not forget his double album with 20 songs called "Past,present,future" and his cd with 23 songs on Mercury,U.A.,Dial and Phils called "Your wife is cheatin'"!
Best wishes,Andy.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2002 10:32 am    

I first met Wayne in the Los Angeles area when I got out of the Army in the early sixties. I went to work at a joint called the Lelani Club in Wilmington. Wayne was working with Buddy Cagle at George's Roundup on Pacific Coast Highway six nights a week. On Sunday afternoon he'd host the show and jam session at the Sundown Club in Wilmington just down the street from the Lelani. I used to go there and jam with them as I knew the guitar player (Sammy Watson). Wayne just sang and played a flat top guitar. At George's he was the lead guitar player. I remember when I first heard him sing I thought he had one of the most pure country voices I'd ever heard. I always thought he was right up there with the George Jones, Vern Gosdin types. He could nail those old tear-jerkers with the best of 'em. Also a pretty nice guy as I remember. I don't remember who the drummer was but they had a big Indian guy (Native American for you Political Correct Bozo's) on bass guitar. All in all, I think he should have gone a lot farther in the fame department than he did......

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 4:10 pm    

"BORROWED ANGEL" -- Written by Mel Street
"FORBIDDEN ANGEL" -- Written by Mel Street &
J. Riggs
"Darlin'" I think was wriitn by Ray Griff
"Fallen Angel" I think was written by Webb Pierce and Max Powell
Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 6:19 am    

Did Wayne Kemp write, "I'll leave this world lovin you"
recorded by Ricky Van Shelton ? anybody.
Kenny
Jason Powers

Muncie, IN
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 6:27 am    

Kenny,
According to my Ricky Van Shelton Greatest Hits CD, Wayne Kemp is indeed the writer of "I'll Leave This World Lovin' You" Jason
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 9:18 am    

Kevin, I am sure you researched the writer for "Darlin'" and I am in no way doubting your statement. I had an audio tape of Conway doing a live concert in the mid 70s and Darlin was hot for him at the time. He gave writer's credits to Wayne Kemp. Cheers...

------------------

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 11 June 2002 at 02:47 PM.]

KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 5:00 pm    

http://www.raygriff.com/main.htm
Check this site out. Has a good list of songs that Ray Griff performed and wrote, including "Darlin'"
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 6:27 pm    

Kevin, Thanks for setting the record straight.

------------------

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 7:31 pm    

Here's some more he wrote also all George Strait hits among others:
I should have watched that 1st step- he wrote
Fireman- he co/wrote
Lovebug- he co/wrote

What a talent he was + he sang & played some mean honky-tonk Tele lead guitar!!!!!!!!!!!
Ron....
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2002 7:43 pm    

Another great Oklahoma talent! On Wayne's "Harlan County Line", John Hughey does a great job on the intro. John and I discussed that song at the Dallas show this year!

John Hughey should get a lifetime achievement award for "All-Time Best Intro's."
jlsmith48

blackwell ok usa
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2002 4:30 pm    

Well then,. Did he write " My wife's been cheatin on us again"???
Doyle Weigold

CColumbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2002 7:10 pm    

"Your wifes been cheatin' on us again" was wrote by Wayne Kemp.
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 5:23 pm    

Jerry, do you have any idea where Buddy Cagle is now . . George's Round Up PCH in Long Beach . . many a year there with Wynn Stewart . .

Carl West
Emmons D-10
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2002 5:58 pm    

Carl: Don't take this for gospel, but I heard that Buddy quit the business and worked for Kaiser Steel in Fontana, CA for quite a few years. I have no idea where Buddy is now, or if he is still alive. He was a great singer and entertainer. For Jerry: Hey Bud, have you been taking memory pills or something. You're a walking history book about the SoCal scene. Cheers.