| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boomer Castleman's latest CD (part 2)
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2002 8:11 am    

"On the Road Again" the Willie Nelson classic is next. It don't start like Willie's. This kicks off with a Rock-a-billy Scotty Moore type intro and cooks all the way through. The break is a combo of flat pickin' and double stops linked together in a very tasty manner.
Another Bob Will's classic "Right of Wrong" is next but with a new treatment on the instrumental solo. Sort of a chicky picky double/triple stop thing which I'd never heard on this song but really fits when you listen to it.
Bob Will's again with "San Antonio Rose". The breaks are hot on this one for sure. Another mixture of Atkins style, flat pickin, chickin pickin, and the double and triple stops I mentioned before. As in all the tunes, he gets a very sweet clean tone with a lot of Bolitas to it too!!
Aha, my favorite! I guess I'm just and old hippie at heart. The Rolling Stones classic "Honky Tonk Women" is next. This one along with cut 2 is where Boomer shines vocally in my opinion. He sings the dookey out of Rock and Roll. This kicks off like the Rolling Stone's version but then it becomes Boomer alone. The benders with distortion and false harmonics makes for an awesome solo. Yes this is my favorite on the CD.
The last cut is the old fiddle instrumental "Orange Blossom Special". Boomer straps on his full metal jacket with bayonet fixed and blows you out of your foxhole with this rendition! It has a very interesting and tasty slow accapella intro and then goes into the fast part. There's some nice counterpoint stuff here and then some cool echo/doubling effects at work. All mixed in with some string bending. The first chorus to the four chord has some hot low string stuff which is different than anything I've heard played on this song. It speeds up later and the last chorus has some hot single string work then goes to bends, double stops, and all kinds of cool stuff.
All in all it's another great effort from ol' Boomer. The CD is called "Standardization" and Boomer's group is called "BoomeRang" The next time he's on the Forum just ask him for some info on how to get your copy. I know you'll love it.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2002 8:58 am    

Boomer is a great player and a great guy.We were going to do lunch a few months ago but we haven't found the time yet.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2002 7:22 am