| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pat Green
erik

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 4:10 am    

I just read a story about this guy getting beat up. I never heard of him so i checked out his web site. He's a real quality musician. Sounds kinda progressive Country, i suppose. Great web site. Very well organized.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 8:05 am    

You never heard of Pat? Where are you located? This is interesting because in Texas, he his huge! He sold out the Astrodome a couple of weeks ago with 56,000+.
He sold out the American Airlines Center last week in Dallas. No single artist in Texas can come close to outdrawing Pat. He signed recently with Mercury Republic. They will be getting him exposure on a national level. I've doubted Pat before, but he WILL be selling out arenas nationwide within one year. Guaranteed!
Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 8:49 am    

I moved back to Lubbock Texas about 8 months ago from the Atlanta Area and could not believe the success Pat has had. He and I played together some in college and we had some good times, but I would have never thaught that he would have the success that he has had. It was quite a shock to see everyone here going nuts over ol' Pat. I guess it just goes to show how Texas really does have a music industry all of its own. You can make a great living just playing in Texas, its a country of its own in a way.

Jeremy
Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 10:22 am    

Pat's been big in the Dallas / Fort Worth area of Texas for several years now, and I'm sure in Lubbock WAY before that. He sings a good set, and hates Marilyn Manson. What more can we ask for?

Garnett
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 11:30 am    

Well, how about good, well-written songs?

quote:
Woke up this morning
Texas on my mind.

C'mon...that's like a parody of a bad song. Chris could write better with one half of his brain tied behind his back.

Yeah, he's popular...just like Britney.

------------------
Jeff

You can call a hog a duck but it still needs to stay out of the pond. --A. Alford

[This message was edited by Jeff Evans on 18 March 2002 at 11:35 AM.]

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 1:27 pm    

Pat Green is nowhere close to being in the same league as serious country artists like Dale Watson or Billy Joe Shaver for example. His music is best described as frat-boy country. The goal of his songwriting is to see how often he can use the word Texas in a song!
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 1:43 pm    

All of those singers are serious.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 1:48 pm    

Pat is a super nice guy, and the few times I was around him, very gracious and even modest in his success. However...

I must agree with JW and others that... IMHO... he's really not that developed as an artist. He's the supreme success story of the guy who doesn't create "songs" that people listen to intently so much as he creates "anthems" that mass groups of people sing along to. His show creates a sort of group catharsis atmosphere in which every audience member is a part of the band. And many in the audience can easily sing as well as Pat. An audience isn't listening to the artist if they're singing along with every word, it's just like a huge frat party hootenanny. This is a scenario created in Texas by Jerry Jeff Walker, Rusty Wier, and others from that generation (many of whom I made decent bucks with ), handed down to Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen, and brought to ultimate success by Pat.

If Pat doesn't get spoiled by his incredible current success, I think he probably will develop into a serious songwriter... again MHO.

But let me say this: I've done shows opening for PG, and when you see 6000 people, among them some of the best looking babes in the skimpiest outfits you've ever seen (in San Angelo, ferchrisssakes!!) screaming "Pat F...in' Green, Pat F...in' Green" before his show, you can get an idea of the power this cat possesses.

Hey, what's good for Pat Green is good for Texas music, so bottom line is I wish him even more success than he's already received.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 18 March 2002 at 01:53 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 1:58 pm    

Oh, one more thing. Regardless of what anyone feels about the music he makes, no one deserves to get cold-cocked and have the crap beaten out of him in front of his family and friends by some crazed weirdo 18-year-old Yankee down here to cause havoc on Spring Break!

Pat is a big guy and I'm sure he can take care of himself, so I think it was an unprovoked sneak attack by this maniac. Pat has three facial skull fractures around his left eye, and, pardon the pun, that is not a "day at the beach."

------------------

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 2:01 pm    

Herb my brother....you always have a cunning way of wading through the crapola; and getting right to some very great points in most any category pal.
So when is a Herb Steiner "Book" out on "Music through the eyes of Herb Steiner"......well start writing my friend...
Ricky
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 2:22 pm    

Herb, I agree with Ricky. You nailed the Pat Green phenom. As a result of Pat's success, alot of bean counters in the music meccas are re-thinking their strateges.

About Pat's songwriting. A few months ago Pat Green, Chris Cagle, and Mark Chesnutt were all hangin' out on Kevin Fowler's bus swappin' guitars and I heard some really good songwriting from Pat. These were songs he was still working on and I remember thinking I liked them much more than what I had previously heard from him. I'll take that as a sign of his positive growth as a songwriter.

Yeah, Herb's take on music would make for interesting reading. I'd buy a copy.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

[This message was edited by Glenn Suchan on 18 March 2002 at 02:34 PM.]

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 2:28 pm    

Thanks Herb. You are so right on. Regardless of what I think or anyone else thinks of Pat's writing or live shows, he certainly has found the sweet spot for success. He has worked his ass of promoting himself and being true to his audience. When I first met Pat, I was playing with Chris Wall and my wife came up to me and said this kid wanted to meet me. She took me over to Pat and introduced me and Pat said, "Hi. I'm Pat Green. I want you to play with me. I'm going to be a star". So he hands me his CD, and I'm thinking, yeah right. The guy knew from day 1 he would make it.
A lot of the criticism from other artists is from bewilderment and jealousy of his success IMHO.
Neil Hilton

Lexington, Kentucky
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 2:48 pm    

On-topic comment - I'm not really in the Pat Green loop, but what Herb says about his draw and shows must indeed be the case... my wife's two younger brothers (age 23 and 26) are really hooked in to his music and scene, also that of R.E.Keen - but neither of them could sing you one line of a Buck or Haggard song, even for an open bar tab for the night. Hey, whatever keeps the college hotties going, eh???!!

Off-topic.... Ricky, I see you and DW are in Little Rock 4/2 and Columbus 4/4 - any chance of a stop at Lynagh's here in Lexington on 4/3??? If not, I just may have to road it up to this "Little Brothers" in Columbus - is that typically a hot little spot, good scene for you guys? - Neil
Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 3:10 pm    

All of you guys are correct. When I was playing with pat he was not a great singer or guitar player, and the songs he wrote where more Anthems than Songs, but he had an incredible fallowing. We played the Three Tear Drops Tavern in Dallas with Chris Wall (?) and it was wall to wall college kids there to see pat. Now at the time I was 17 so I thaught we were the sh*t. I do not know what he has that takes a crowd by the horns like he does but he can do it. It amazes me to think of the success he has had.

Jeremy
erik

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 4:02 pm    

Well, i see all the Texas boys have chimed in. I am from New England and never been below the Mason-Dixon line, so that might explain why i have never heard of him. But i listened to a few cuts off his web site. He kind of reminded me of a Country version of Dave Matthews. And we all know DM draws the college crowd. Also his web site says he has collaborated with folks like Radney Foster. I heard Willie singing in one of those clips. So he has friends in high places. He also says he likes to write with optimism. Well, i hope he gets better so he can get back to performing. It would probably be a while before he could sing.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 4:04 pm    

Neil; I don't know about that date.....that would be up to Dale and the booking folks. But if you had a notion and the date is not booked....you should contact those Lynagh folks and get Dale Booked; or E-mail Dale or the booking contact from the site.
I'll play where ever; it don't matter to me....cause this tour is only barly two weeks long and I'm getting paid a ton to do it.....so yeah I'm into whatever.
Ricky
Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2002 8:21 am    

I was gonna express an opinion about Pat Greens style of what is now being called "Texas Music" in many quarters. But in the light of recent threads on this forum I have decided to keep my opinions to myself...
for once
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2002 9:43 am    

Ricky
I learned my writing style and analysis from my very clever college public speaking professor. He too was a cunning linguist.

As far as a book about the music business I've experienced, I'm afraid not many would like what I have to say, especially in the rather bitter and cynical moods I've been in lately regarding... well, never mind.

------------------

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2002 12:18 pm    

It's those "Bitter and cynical" moods that make GOOD reading my neighbor
Nevertheless......I can dig.
We'll discuss your mood in Dallas over a few drinks......well I'll drink coffee and watch you drink that is
Ricky