| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bass guitar Qestion
Harold Jack Baker

Ladora, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2002 5:29 pm    

I need to know what a person can expect to pay for a bass guitar. Lower level desired. Big name not necessary. Are there many out there? I hope this is not the first stupid question. Harold Jack Baker

------------------
Texas Jack
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2002 5:54 pm    

Hey Harold. I have no doubt that there are opinions out there that the low priced basses are not worth playing. However, my opinion is that there are some perfectly playable axes in the low price range. You can find Squiers as low as $150! Are they great? I don't expect so. Are they usable? I bet they are. You can browse some of what's out there, here---
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

click 'bass' and you'll find 127 4 stringers to look at.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2002 7:06 pm    

Been down the bumpy Bass road, A $150 Bass sounds and plays like a $150 Bass..and has no re-sale value

A $1200 Bass plays and sounds like a $1200 Bass, like it should..and has a maximum re-sale value

No such thing as a dumb question.

If you have the opportunity to visit a local music store of size, go and check them out, start at the bottom and work your way up..

If you start at the top you will loose your sense of objectivity immediatley.

Good luck

TP
62 RI Vintage Fender JBass, clearly one of the best Instruments I have ever owned, definetley the best Bass I have ever owned.

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 08 March 2002 at 07:13 PM.]

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2002 9:17 pm    

I've heard that the Fender (not Squire) "Made in Mexico" Standard basses (both Precision bass and Jazz bass) are good instruments. Both can be bought new for around $300 w/o case.

However, this is second hand info to me, as I don't play bass.

[This message was edited by Tom Olson on 08 March 2002 at 09:18 PM.]

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2002 10:24 pm    

Spend the money and buy a good instrument then you'll have a good instrument that will be more enjoyable to play.
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 5:58 am    

I bought a USA made Guild pilot bass last year for $235. It has the P/J set up (a Precision bass pickup and a Jazz bass pickup) and there are seperate volume controls for each to blend them. It has a nice slim neck and good action and the pickups sound great.

erik

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 7:54 am    

There are plenty of sub $200 basses that play well and sound adequate. Even a Squier Affinity is good. You can also try www.rondomusic.com or www.musicyo.com It has been my experience that the Mexican Fender basses are not worth the extra money. If you want a quality Fender buy an American or used Japan.
erik

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 7:56 am    

A Danelectro Rumor bass sounds pretty good. How about Fernandes? Try a Jay Turser. These are on eBay a lot. If you have small hands try the low model Peaveys.
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 9:51 am    

Still, I would at least check out the Fender Made in Mexico instruments. I know the MIM guitars are generally a good value. The American made basses list for around a grand. But, like I said, the MIM basses can be bought new for just over $300. If you're looking for a low end instrument, I would say that $300 for a MIM Fender is better than paying $200 for an Asian-made instrument.
Brian Herder

Philadelphia, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 10:34 am    

I bought one of the Saga P-Bass kits on Ebay for my kid. He had borrowed a Squier P-Bass (the one sold with the little amp) from his cousin. The difference is startling...this kit ($109) is sooo much better. Granted, it's not quite my '71 P-Bass, but it's alot closer than the Squier...(the tone of which is virtually unusable, IMO). I also like it better than the Mexican Jazz Bass that a friend has. The kit comes with everything, including strings, and if you aren't handy, the wiring is pre done, with the only connections being snap together. They come with a sanding sealer, so it's easy to finish..but would look ok left natural...and for aound $100, who cares? Maybe, I was lucky, but I think you'd have to spend 3 times that to get something anywhere near as good as this thing. The only downside is the cheasy plastic knobs, but like I said....for $100...
erik

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 11:07 am    

I have found more Chinese made instruments with better tone than MIM Fenders. This is because Fender uses Poplar(HEAVY poplar) on most MIMs and there is always debate on this but i think poplar is junk. I'd rather have plywood.
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 4:31 pm    

Just because I own a music store does not make me an expert,but on the low end that sell for $150 to $350 any one of them can be a good bass, some of the same models or better then others. The best thing is to try it out, an if you are a beginner have a friend go with you.Most of all the lower line guitars are all made by the same factory. Just like strings co, there are only a few that make all the strings sold. If it plays good sounds good, looks good, buy it.If your only buying one for an investment, you have to spend more money for the brand name. JERRY