| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opry at Ryman
Gene Piper

Olney, Illinois
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 7:35 am    

I was reviewing the opry schedule on their web site and to me it is a little misleading. One way to read the schedule is, they are still at the Ryman in March, then again one could read it as through Feb. Can someone tell me if they are at the Ryman in March. Thanks
Gene
Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 8:30 am    

We are at the Ryman "through" February (not sure of the actual last date there). It is my understanding we'll be back at the "Big House" when March rolls around.

I'm going to miss playing at the Ryman. You sure can get a good tone on the stage there! But it sure is small, tight, and close (crowded?) and parking is not so great. But, there still isn't anything like playing the Ryman!!!! "The Mother Church of Country Music!" (undeniably)

Dave
Gene Piper

Olney, Illinois
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 9:02 am    

Thanks Dave, I kind of expected that you would be back at the big house. I love the Ryman, the sound out in the audience is far superior than the big house to me. Also you are a lot closer to the performers which provides a lot nicer atmosphere IMHO.
Gene
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 8:57 pm    

I missed the story. Why did the Opry move back to The Ryman in the first place?

I haven't been to the Ryman since the early 70s. The Ryman has fantastic acoustics, there is no doubt that. I have only been to the Big House once in 1988 and watched the show from backstage as Weldon's guest.

Roger
Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2002 9:42 pm    

Gene,

The Opry temporarily moved to the Ryman Auditorium during the "off season", so to speak. They also did the same thing last year. It isn't a permanent thing at this time.
The (new) Opry House has been used for other things (like the Rockette shows that were running there for a while) and also has had some remodeling as was the case last year, I think. During the off season, crowds are of course smaller, which makes it perfect for the smaller Ryman auditrium. And this gives anyone who has never had the priviledge of seeing the Grande Ol' Opry at the Ryman, like back in the old days, the oportunity. It is a real treat to see Country Music on it's own ground! For me, it brings back many old memories from when I got to play it back in the early seveties before it moved to the then "new" Opry House.
There have been many changes and improvements to the Ryman since the old days but it is still basically the same, sounds great, and even looks better than it did back then.
If you ever have the chance to see the Opry at the Ryman you'll never forget it.

Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 10 February 2002 at 09:58 PM.]