| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has anyone ever worked a Nudist colony Gig?
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2001 11:48 am    

Yes and so has Duke Ching in CA. We did not know this was a dance for nudists. When the crowd arrived the men were in tuxs and the gals in gowns that cost a pretty penny and they all had on at least $25000- $75000 worth of jewelry. We determined that they were well healed and we put an extra large "kitty" on each side of the bandstand. We kicked off with me playing "This is the Southland" and immediately the crowd threw off their clothes and were gdancing up a storm. The other band memberstold me it was great to watch these naked gals shakin it with only $50000 or so worth of jewelry on. Of course I missed it all;as you steelers know we must always have our head down, fully concentrating on the fretboard. BTW, they were lousy tippers. Have fun CC

------------------
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2001 12:10 pm    

Yes I did ,,,but cant tell ya now,,,,Im off here for the season....maybe in the fall.
Travis Bolding

Stroud, OK, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2001 1:15 pm    

A club owner that our band played for was trying to generate some mid-week business, so he booked a male stripper show for a Wednesday nite. The strippers cancelled the day before the show, so the club owner called us to play instead. Apparently word didn't get out that the male strippers were cancelled, because the place started filling up with nothing but women. In a panic, the owner asked us if we would play nude. Some of the guys in the band thought it would be OK, but I declined. I told them I wouldn't know what to do with the extra "pedal".
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2001 2:51 pm    

Was than an F pedal?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2001 4:23 pm    

Actually, they no longer like the term "Nudist Colony", and prefer to be called "Naturist Resorts". You're not alone, most of us would find it hard to play there.
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2001 4:49 pm    

No , but I played a gay coyboy club once. Keep an eye on your bar in those places, man.
Lefty
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2001 6:00 am    

Play a Nudist Gig, I never had the "Pleasure" but I can guarantee you would have been "up" for it.

------------------
CJC

Dave Horch

Frederick, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2001 9:43 am    

This came up a while back on Bar Chatter... Here's the link
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum1/HTML/012362.html

[This message was edited by Dave Horch on 17 April 2001 at 10:44 AM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2001 7:59 pm    

Okay one more for the road. I never thought this topic would ever come up,,,but here is mine,

About 15 years ago,,I was called by a group,,,that did hawaiian catering etc.
They had a complete show,,,knife dancers,tahitian girls etc,,,,this was a well
known group in new York City,,,I worked with them at the Hotel Lexington hawaiian room years ago,,,,the leader was a talented guy,who looked really cool and his wife Evalani was a knock out,,,,they did great harmony together and all their music was authentic,,,

I was not too familiar with all the tunes but was able to get by.

John Di Mesa was the leaders name,,,he called me and said he had a great job that payed a lot of money for a 4 hour gig,,the pay was $175.00 for the 4 hours which was good money back then.

He told me it would be a special gig and I would really dig it...I met them in manhattan
left my car in a parking lot and we all went to the gig in a chartered bus,,,up to upper Westchester county NY.They had people who did all the catering and it was a package deal.

He explained that it was for a group of top executives from all over the metropolitan area and was a private restricted party.

When we arrived at the destination it was a big compound of a place,,,,we were greeted by a fellow dressed for the occasion with white pants they were cut just below his knee
like those clam digger pants,,,he had a bright hawaiian shirt on and he was very courteous.He walked like a little "swishy" you know

We unloaded the gear and went into the pool area where the party was taking place,,,it was gorgeous summer night and it was sundown
the lighting was done with "torches" and everything was in place with hawaiian decor etc,,,,the food was fabulous,,,,drinks as well....it was the epitome of class ,,,you could leave off the cl if you would like...

Most all of the people were in the pool swimming,,,beautiful gals,,,some not so beautiful,,,but most of them were in the pool
some were just "hangin out",,,,I couldnt beleive my eyes,,,,,,they were stark naked,,John Di Mesa looked at me and said "cool it man" he thought I was going to do the wise guy thing,,,,

They started the show,,,singin standards
Blue hawaii,,Sweet Leilani,,,,the host came over and asked us if we would like to make ourselves more comfortable,,,we all said no ,,,we were fine,,,I mean how would I look playing a steel with everything in view,,,they could see all my knee levers.

All you could hear was the laughter and water splashing in the pool....they were having a great time,,,the food was great,,,one guy walked over to me in his birthday suit and said man thats some contraption you have there,,,why are there two of them??? I wanted to say ...so do you,
you have three of them.

We did the show,,,the tahitian gals did their traditional dance,,,,and went over fine
we had two knife dancers who were from the Hotel lexington and we did hawaiian war chant

John and his wife came out dressed in white & with the spotlight on them and sang a beautiful version of the Hawaiian wedding song
I mean this was the real thing....

John asked me to do a steel solo,,, I tried to think of something appropriate,,,No I could do "Im in The Nude for Love",,,that would have not gone over too well.

I did Bye Bye Blues real up tempo the drummer
was great as was the rest of the group,,,I did all the bar crashes etc you wont beleive this but as I was almost finished with my number they started coming out of the pool,,,there must have been about 50 people in the pool,,,I got a standing ovation as they emerged from the pool,,,I stopped the show,,,this was not the courteous applause that was heard for the other perfomers who had much more talent than I ,,,,they were standing up you should have heard the round of applause when they all sat down on the marble tile on the pool site,,,,they all sat down together and the applause was like nothing I have ever heard.....It was great.
I never thought I would have a chance to tell this story,,,,"Copyright (c) 2001 by
Jody Carver "All Rights Reserved" I said John Di Mesa,,,not John DeMaille,,DeMaille is a Red Neck not a Hawaiian The money for the gig was not good,,but I enjoyed "hangin" out with those people.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 06 July 2002 at 06:18 AM.]

Shaan Shirazi

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2001 6:22 pm    

Sounds like you should have carbon copied that story to the Penthouse Forum!

------------------
The Pickin' Paniolo
BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2001 10:23 am    

IF I could get up the right nerve enough ,I'd go play at a nudist party in a New york minute
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2001 7:53 am    

You do,,,and Ill try to book you a gig,,,I
will just make certain they all sit an applaud for you,,,,,they will. Dress code
not necessary,,,,come as you are,,,,,
Il make it a Friday as that is known in NY as "dress down day" way down ,,,you betcha.

I played that tune "Im walking behind you" had everyone on their toes
Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2001 8:02 am    

"One Eyed One Horned Flyin' Purple People Eater" !!!!!!!!!!!
Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2001 8:50 am    

"UP UP AND AWAY" Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2002 12:45 pm    

Jody, I'm surprised you didn't play "YOU GO TO MY HEAD" !
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2002 2:27 pm    

Quote:
BTW, they were lousy tippers.

Of course they were. No pockets!

------------------
HagFan

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2002 9:31 pm    

Jody my man !!!
You're stories are something else. You know you could have played "Mack The Knife" and had a lot of distance between you and the audience there, especially the men folk, HEHEHE. Watch out foe those knife dancers LOL LOL LOL
Good to hear from you again, my YANKEE BUBBA !!!

------------------
"Let's go STEEL something"
If it feels good, do it. If it feels COUNTRY, do it twice
jpp

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2002 5:51 am    

Does the band have to play "Nayket" ?

That would be one hell of a pre-gig rehearsal !

tp
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2002 8:52 am    

AND THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE SOUTH !!

NO,I mean:

THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT JODY CARVER !!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2002 1:20 am    

My band played a few weeks ago (New Year's Eve) an un-named nudist camp.. What a helluva job. When we went in, there were about 20 people all with clothes on and one old fat guy who was naked sitting at a table. By 8:00 PM there were over 300 of 'em and most of them were nude. I saw bodies in all shapes, ages, and size. When we started the gig we had a request for the "Electric Slide" which we normally play for about 3 minutes or so. With around 90 or so naked ladies dancing to it we stretched it out to over 15 minutes. It was really hard (no pun intended) to play sometimes. Our light bar had a blinking red light which shined on me and I couldn't see the dance floor when it was on so I took my guitar neck and pushed it up and out of the way so I could see everything. All in all it was a great night and we had a great time. After midnight a young lady around 40 or so came right up in front of me with a bottle of champagne and a glass and poured me a drink. She handed it to me and I bent down towards her and she said "Are You Here With Anyone?". I didn't bring a date but I stammered back "Ye-ye-yes I am". I was just too surprised by her being nude and all. I wish I'd taken advantage of that situation now that I think back on it.

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 25 January 2002 at 08:00 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2002 8:19 am    

Did you hear about the wedding at the nudist colony? Everyone could see who the best man was:
Uff-Da
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2002 2:17 pm    

I played a nudist colony gig on New Year's Eve 2000/2001. Played the whole last set naked and played solo on Auld Lang Syne at midnight. (My wife keeps the only existing pictures of that event... The world can thank her for that small blessing).

Again in July of 2001 I played the same nudist resort for a two-day motorcycle rally. Spent that whole time "nekked as a jaybird". How did I like doing the gigs? Let's just say I had no trouble with the vertical kneelevers!

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

[This message was edited by Glenn Suchan on 23 January 2002 at 02:21 PM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2002 5:16 pm    

YOU PERVERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 23 January 2002 at 05:17 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.