| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WSM-Keep it country!
Donna Hammitt

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2002 1:24 pm    

Hello and Happy New Year to everyone!

I have some information on the format changes for WSM-am that I thought you all might be interested in.

It is true, although not officially announced, that they are planning on changing the format to ESPN all sports and paid ministries at night. This was reported in R&R last week. I don't know if we can stop this, but it can't hurt to try! If you'd like to voice your opinion, please call WSM at (615)-889-6595 or (and) e-mail the CEO of Gaylord, Colin Reed, at creed@gaylordentertainment.com.

Even those that are not country fans know what an important part of history this station is. Where else can you hear all the players we learned from on a daily basis. Many of you are familiar with my friend, Eddie Stubbs. He may be a fiddle player, but he knows more about steel guitar than most steel players. He has the top ranked country show in the weekday evenings over all 3 FM country stations and is #5-6 in the overall Nashville market. His Saturday morning classic country show is ranked #1 in the entire Nashville market, country or not. The overnight show with Matthew Gilliam is also one of the most popular. These numbers should show that this type of programing is something people want to hear. If these changes are made, these shows will very likely be off the air. Let's stop this if we can. Please spread the word!

Thanks,
Donna

------------------
www.DonnaHammitt.com
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2002 1:53 pm    

My email went to Gaylord this morning

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Stoney Stonecipher

Knoxville, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2002 5:59 pm    

My E-mail went in today. I also made a phone call and voiced my complaint.
Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2002 8:21 pm    

Donna,
Like you say, the decision has been made. But, I sent an E, anyway. At this point it won't do much good, business people are in control, not music lovers. We, who do appreciate the music, are getting the short end of this stick. But, it doesn't hurt to let them know how we feel. I hope others take advantage to express their feelings to the corporate bigwigs. Pat
Rick Trolinger

Springdale, AR
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2002 8:42 pm    

I also sent an email this evening. It would be a shame to see WSM reduced to a sports channel. I try every evening to tune in on my way home from work. Living in Northwest Arkansas, I don't always get good reception. But, quite often it comes in clear as a bell.

Rick
Allen

Littleton, CO USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2002 9:01 pm    

My email just went out.
How do we, the PSG community, make sure that the word of the proposed change gets out to all country music fans and entertainers.

------------------
Allen Harry
Mullen D-10, 8 & 6
Nashville 1000

robert hays

sikeston mo. usa
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2002 9:34 pm    

My e-mail has been sent too,hope it works.
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2002 9:51 pm    

there's also this online petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/savewsm/petition.html

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 8:24 am    

Thanks for the petition link, Greg. I just used it.

------------------
Frank Estes

Neil Flanz

Austin, Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 9:03 am    

Hi Forumites. THIS IS REALLY MPORTANT!!!!!!!

My e-mail went out this morning. I also called the station and was told that George Bush Sr. had called in personally. The proposed format change discussion is being held today. If you don't want to see an American institution that's in the same class as the Smithsonian disappear, this might be your last chance to take a moment of your time and make your opinion heard. Let's not let them kill an American tradition. Your best bet is to either call 615-889-6595 or e-mail creed@gaylordentertainment.com

[This message was edited by Neil Flanz on 03 January 2002 at 09:05 AM.]

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 9:12 am    

I sent an email as well, and tried to put it in terms that the "money people" might relate to... the decision obviously won't be made for either musical or sentimental reasons. For what it's worth, here's what I wrote:

"Please add my name to the huge and growing list of people that think changing the format of WSM would be a huge loss, and not only to the country music world, but to your corporation. Isn't accepting minimal profitability from one A.M. station worth it in terms of maintaining some of the heritage and "brand recognition" that Gaylord was buying into in the first place? WSM as a flagship country station is a huge part of country music history, and more importantly, an ongoing one... You might improve your quarterly balance sheets a small percentage in the short run, but in the long run you'll have given up something that took decades to establish. And judging from the response so far you may be undoing the effects of years (and presumably millions of dollars worth) of public relations with one, shortsighted decision."

[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 03 January 2002 at 09:21 AM.]

[This message was edited by Pete Finney on 03 January 2002 at 09:22 AM.]

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 9:23 am    

I just received this email and feel it is worth passing along:

quote:
To Gaylord Entertainment

Dear Sirs:

In the 60's and 70's I traveled the road with the Grand O'l Opry out of Nashville, TN performing with Ernest Tubb and later Ray Price. I can tell you other than a telephone and the occasional post card from some distant town the mighty WSM clear channel 50 was our life blood to home. Many of us spent many hours by the tour bus radio far from home on some lonely freeway or in a lonely bed in some remote motel room listening to our bread and butter country music and news from around home on WSM. Ernest Tubb, a legend in country music, would spend hours far from Nashville in front of the radio tuning in WSM while moving on to his next performance. I could see him from my seat in the tour bus looking over the head of Patsy Cline or Hawkshaw Hawkins, just some of the WSM country stars who would tour with us from time to time.

I am just one person and one memory, but if you magnify me by the thousands of people doing the same with other performers not to mention the thousands of faithful WSM listeners who depended on that holy Mother Church music for so many years and still do I think the picture becomes much bigger. At a time when all us Americans are clinging to our freedom and trying to hang on to our traditions and beliefs I don't think this is the time to replace this wonderful old American tradition that has served us so well with another discussion of an overpaid athlete.

There is an old saying "If it aint broke don't fix it". Is WSM really that broke or just chasing the almighty dollar? Us old pickers didn't make many dollars chasing our dream and we left it all on the stage in the name of WSM. Just a thought from an old country music road warrior who hates to see the mighty WSM bow to the ever changing world. Be nice to leave some old traditions alone.

Respectfully,
Jan Kurtis Skugstad
Drummer and WSM fan

I signed the petition and sent an email as well. I hope this works.
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 10:36 am    

Signed.

And so far, at least two Jessica Andrews fans has also signed it:

I signed the petition Dave. I thought something was brewing with WSM because it was taken off TNN transponder radio frequecy on my C band satalite quite a while ago, and I haven't been able to get it since ! Thanks for the " scoop". It's bad enough that we lose ALL the TNN country shows to a CBS "clone" of re-runs, but now we have to lose another radio station?

I signed as well....it would be a shame to lose another source of the opry.....keep tradition alive....everyone else out there sign too.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 11:14 am    

I would like to be an optomist and believe something can be done to save traditional country music from the Gaylord Corporation's bean counters. But, they have dismantled practically all of the Opry resources including Opryland and irregardless of it's impact or outcries from the public. It won't surprise me if they eventually do the same thing to the Grand Ole Opry (they are making an effort with the current Opry management). The Opry and related entities do not fit in with their current business plan.
Bill Irsik

Lenexa, Kansas
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 1:59 pm    

I just signed the petition and sent my E-mail. I will also encourge every one I know to do the same. This is such sad news to start out the New Year with! Next they'll be buying the Ernest Tubb Record Shop and turning it into a black light shop.
MALCOLM KIRBY

Crofton, KY USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2002 4:26 pm    

Gaylord Comment Line 1-877-457-0001
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 6:58 am    

Petitioned signed, phone call is next, once I get enough caffeine in me anyway. I want to be somewhat coherent while I give them an ear full!

David "Petitioner #2269" Mullis
Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 7:42 am    

Done
Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 9:58 am    

I thought I would share this. I tried to reach the new comment line, 457-0001, but it is down at the moment,possibly due to call overload.
So if you can't get through on that number,call 885-6595.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 10:02 am    

Hey folks when you sign the petition only do it once. Multiple signings don't do any good. some times the whole name gets thrown out in the count.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 10:26 am    

Just hope Dick Clark stays clear of it ! ! !
No other comment from me other than keep it country!

Carl West
Emmons D-10
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 2:45 pm    

I have emailed, petitioned and called.
I urge all to let Gaylord, alias the "Tennessee Taliban" ((c)2002 dva) know exactly how you feel about this.

[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 04 January 2002 at 02:46 PM.]

Donna Hammitt

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2002 9:29 pm    

Well, the rumor is that they are keeping a tally of the phone calls coming in, so keep calling! Apparently, it's not a sealed deal yet. The Tennessean ran an article today that made the best point of all. The marketing people don't know what they have or how to sell it. People are listening to WSM, it's not the product, it's the marketing of it. Just to recap, here are all the links and phone numbers....

Petition web site:
[url=http://www.petitiononline.com\savewsm\]www.petitiononline.com\savewsm\[/url]

Comment line:
457-0001 or 1-877-457-0001

WSM\WTN office:
(615)-889-6595

Gaylord CEO, Colin Reed, e-mail:
creed@gaylordentertainment.com

------------------
www.DonnaHammitt.com