| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Snubbed Again at CMA
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 4:11 am    

Once again the steel guitar, and Paul Franklin, were snubbed at the CMA for musician of the year. The people that have won the award are all outstanding musicians but I can't understand why one of the mainstreams in country music, the steel guitar, is constantly snubbed.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 4:41 am    

Er did you say they played Country Music? surely if they did play Country music the steel would be a shoe in.No chance with the crap they played last night.

------------------
CJC

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 5:45 am    

I agree.....

There weren't too much (if any) "Country" in the "CMA" awards last nite. Not even that there wasn't much Steel work. Heck !! There wasn't much that even sounded country. Mostly Punk Rocker Wantabes. I was totally ashamed of the whole thing. The best thing going,was Vince Gill. (and he didn't do all that much.) Garth Brooks was a ...... Well,We wont even go there.

I guess thats whats wrong with "Nashville" now,the music group has attempted to remove itself from the roots of "Country Music".

Why,in the world, do we have the "New York Rockettes" doing the Christmas show out at Opryland as oppose to a grand ole "Country Show" ?????

I hope the whole dam$ thing falls flat on it's a$$. Mabe then,they will understand thats it's "Country Music" not "Punk Rock" that made this town.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 08 November 2001 at 05:51 AM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 6:18 am    

I've said this before but nothing has changed so it may bear repeating. The only recognition I have ever seen regarding steel guitar on the CMA awards was when Vince Gill shared his Musician Of The Year award with John Hughey. That was the year Conway Twitty had just passed away and it was so obvious it couldn't be ignored.

I remember a back stage camera shot where they were trying to convince John that they wanted him on the stage. I can just imagine what was going through John's mind: "Hell, they never give anything to a steel guitarist so they don't want me out there !!" Thank God Vince knows the difference !!

Regards, Paul
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 7:11 am    

Just reading the reviews you guys have posted on the CMA awards last nite. I guess I never missed anything by not watching. Heck,I quite wasting my time with that crap a long time ago. It moved way past country a long time back and I thought I was the only one who felt that way.. guess not. Just call me old fashioned or whatever you like, but if that mess is country,then my rear end is a typewriter.I really enjoy different forms of music, but I want to hear rock I will tune in a rock station. At least this way I can here the REAL thing. I know there are many who enjoyed it last night and to those I say good for you. I have no desire to go back to "how it used to be", but there are many good artist and songwriters who cannot be heard simply because of the "Madison Ave" thinking in Nashville at this time. If this is "mainstreaming country music" then count me out, and when I'me out who loses....ME. When I and others like me are gone, they will not skip a beat..they just keep grinding it out. After all it's all about money...right,and we all can sure use more of that. I voted last night....I didn't watch
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 7:20 am    

I was working on a steel guitar and the TV was on in the next room so I could hear it. I heard some very nice Dobro several times.
Jerry
Brandon Roper

Carrollton, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 7:34 am    

Fellas,
It really makes me sad to hear you talk about all this stuff. I mean, you all are absolutely right but it just almost brings a tear to my eyes to think that when I have kids they will never get to hear real, honest country on the radio. Being born in '76, I got to experience what I think was the last few good years of country music. As far as I'm concerned country music died in the mid to late '80s. All Nashville is doing now is grindin salt in the wound or "Pissin' on real country music's headstone" if you want to be a little less tactful. QUESTION for you older guys: where and what made it all go wrong? I know its all about money/greed, but then why wasnt it always like that?
Brandon Roper

Carrollton, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 7:38 am    

Guess the few left in "my generation" that actually care, have you steel veterans to thank for leaving us w/ some good "Oldschool" country to pass on. I truely appreciate what you guys have done! Do you think there will ever be a time that country is good again? -Brandon
Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 8:06 am    

Since Acuff has passed away, it's turned into a free-for-all in Gnashville.
All of the heavy-hitting anchors of sanity have passed away, leaving the door wide open for the bean counters, and progressives.
There is a lot to be said for TRADITION, and that's is the foundation of Country music.

They say that they don't want to hear "that old stuff" in Gnashville anymore, and that no one will buy it, but I beg to differ. If one visits the clubs in town, that's all you will hear. The Old Stuff. And, Alan Jackson, (To name only one,) is selling like mad.

And if no one wants to hear the Old Stuff, tell me why nearly every new artist breaks out with an Old traditional tune.

I read the post a few weeks ago, where Mr. Franklin politely chastised traditionalists, defending the progressive attitudes in Gnashvegas. He has to defend it, it's his bread and butter!!

Face it guys. It's over. Dick Clark, and the Hollyweird bunch have taken over.

I don't know the answer, but I will continue to seek out bands that play mostly traditional country music. I play Top 40, but my heart's in traditional.

If ya'll are members of the Acadamy, start a letter writing campaign. It might work.
Buy MORE of the traditional artists, when they hit the stores. Encourage your retailers to stock more traditionalists.

On this forum, we are just preaching to the choir. Scream at the people that are holding the purse strings.

Thanx fer lettin' me vent.

C YA

Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 8:42 am    

You guys hit the nail on the head ! This show was not country and yes . . again the PSG takes a back seat. If I could add more I would but it's already been said.

Carl West
Emmons D-10 /LGIII
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 8:46 am    

Country My Ass!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 8:53 am    

I tuned in for a while...and heard a few "clams" by singers whose names I won't mention. It was obvious they (at least the ones I heard) weren't using the "Antares" unit.

Maybe that's progress?

I don't know, I guess I'm just used to hearing really good singers, and I just think a show like this should feature the best singers, and not just the most popular. The two often aren't the same.

Pity. A lot of really fabulous singers never get heard...because they aren't sexy, or don't appeal to young folk.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 8:56 am    

Re: Brandon...."QUESTION for you older guys: where and what made it all go wrong? I know its all about money/greed, but then why wasn't it always like that?..........."

Brandon, I was born considerably before your 1976 birthday, and was playing full-time about 25 years before that, so maybe I have the background to attempt to answer your question.

The "beginning of the end" of country music was in the 1950's following the revolution in music resulting from Elvis, the Beatles, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, and all the other groups of that "Rockabilly" era.

I speak with some experience, as I had been playing country music for two years with a singer named Harold Jenkins, who survived the evolution by changing his name to Conway Twitty and becoming a R&R star.

I survived that era by putting my steel guitar in the closet and playing "bass" with non-country groups until about 1960 when I again began to play steel, primarily in western swing venues.

During the 1960's there was a temporary resurgence in popularity of country music but by the end of the decade it was fading again. In 1970, I decided "enough was enough", and stopped performing completely.

In the early 1980's I started working again, but the music business was a different world. I struggled through the 80's and most of the 90's working the music shows where many of the participants did the classic country material.

By the year 2000 I had begun to play "new country" as the alternative to "folding my tent" and fading away. Apparently I am acceptable at it as I have plenty of work.

Nirvana would be twin fiddles, sax & trumpet,twin riffs on guitar and steel, but that is not to be anymore, except for our own amusement.

We steel players have to face reality....change or die! Either choice is valid........ www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 08 November 2001 at 09:08 AM.]

Jerry Horner

Tahlequah, OK, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 8:59 am    

IT SUCKED, SUCKED, SUCKED AND SUCKED.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 9:14 am    

I agree Jerry....I listened to it only until "Left Wing" came on after the first hour...... If there was any redeeming value,I guess I missed it! www.genejones.com
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 9:18 am    

I posted this on the Music board, but it seems to fit perfectly here...

Why do I treat myself this way? I swore 2 years ago I'd never watch again. (They should put me in the liars' hall of fame.) If there was any remarkable music it had to have been in the first 20 minutes, before I tuned in. Alan Jackson's lyrics added sentimental feeling, but again no remarkable music from where I sat...

All in all, it was very disappointing, but that's my fault for having unrealistic expectations. I doubt that I could be less interested in modern country music than I am today. Of course, they'll probably prove me wrong soon.

------------------
HagFan

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 9:34 am    

I would rather hear George Bush sing than any of those on CMA.
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 10:06 am    

Boy . . b0b, I sure have to agree with that as well CMMA !
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 10:23 am    

Bob Farlow: I have heard President Bush sing, and trust me, I'd rather hear Shania, or even Pat Green(!)... though I don't know if she was in attendance at CMA, because I didn't watch the show.

So, it's a big disappointment that the CMA offered more pop music than mid-60's Loretta Lynn sounds? Have we forgotten that many of the producers, musicians, and record executives of today's country music cut their eye teeth walking behind a mule at their daddy's farm, with Three Dog Night, Led Zepplin, Bread, the Carpenters, AC/DC, Billy Joel, Metallica, and the Sex Pistols blaring at full volume in the headsets of their Sony Walkmen?

My feelings are with both Gene, who summed up the ups and downs of country music with personal examples from his own career, and with Ron P., who wonders why he allowed himself the luxury of hopefullness, knowing in his heart of heart's he was bound once again for disappointment.

Unfortunately for we fans, musical styles stay the same only in museums, vanity press recordings, and in small live performances for dedicated individual devotees. Just for example, Dixieland was at one time the most popular form of jazz, but it got knocked out of the box when swing bands came along. Dixieland still was available... and is even to this day..., but it not being the popular form of music, you have to either seek it out (VFW halls) or luck into it (pizza, anyone? ).

Same thing here with old vs. new Texas music, though western swing is still regarded as somewhat of a cultural commodity here... like barbecue, Mexican food, and longhorn steers. Still, you have to do some searching to find the good stuff, since there's just not as many venues offering trad.count (pronouce it anyway you like ) as there are with the "new TX country" like Pat Green, Charlie Robison, Cory Morrow, et. al.

Just parenthetically, I once asked Leon McAuliffe if, in his opinion, rock and roll caused the death of western swing. He said "Elvis was only the final straw. The main thing that killed the great western swing era was television."

Hmmmmm....

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 10:31 am    

Brandon............
It did start in the late 70's. when the rockers were looking for longevity in the market place.
There were a bunch of "one hit wonders" on the R&B charts. I remember a conversation with a friend of mine, who at the time was a utility guitarist for Boston. (Does anyone in Conn. remember Jim McCann??)

The R&R; R&B artists couldn't understand how a country artist could hang on the charts in excess of 19 weeks with just one tune, or have multiple hits at the same time. The rockers couldn't do it, and they were playing to sold out houses.
The country folks weren't getting the tour/record company support that the rockers were getting, but they had sales.

Job security and state of the art recording facilities drove the rockers to Gnashville to become session players, engineers,etc.

Then the bean counters wanted to make country music less "hokey", to make it more palletable to the younger crowd, as they had more of Mommy and Daddy's money to spend.

At the same time, MADD was exerting their influence, and since drinking oneself into a stupor is a recurring theme in country music, the clubs had to do something to keep patrons.

There is no longer an attitude of commraderie in Gnashville, nor among the artists. Everyone has become money motivated. Sad, but true.

Some will scoff at what I've said, but to them, I say, you know inside that I'm right.
Don't flame me too badly, I KNOW that there is more to it than what I've just said, but......................
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 10:33 am    

Guys I read your comments with great interest.We all are aware that music is always in a state of flux. Well I guess I have been fluxed out. When something is diluted to the point that is looks and feels like all around it, it loses its identity. The level of artistry involved today is great but they all sound alike, be it musicians or singers. Most all male singers look and sound alike, most all female singers look and sound alike( they all seemed to yell to the tops of their lungs with no tone quality at all). Is this their fault ...the answer is no. This statement in no way should be interputed to mean that level of talent is not there because it is...it's just that they don't have freedom. Those singers and musicians that have had the guts (and financial resources) to stick to their guns have risen above the fray. There will always be a demand for the Alan Jacksons, George Straits,Randy Travis' of the world if they can only be heard. I commend all those who go to the little out of the way studios and put down those tunes of which they are so committed. I didn't watch last night because I knew what to expect and I didn't want to sit thru hours of crap to hear maybe one song or artist that I might like. The proof will be in the pudding, if the producers are right we can expect more of the same, if they are wrong then we might expect to see some change but that change may not be what once was. One word to the players in Nashville...when the last "country singer or steel guitar player" leaves town somebody REMEMBER TO GET THE FLAG.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 10:57 am    

I really had a good time watching last night. My 8 year old daughter and I watched together. She was rating the acts on a 1 to 10 scale, like she gets rated when she does dance contests. Where the fun came in, was when I gave my scores (mostly in the minus 10 to plus 3 scale). It was fun explaining to her why I thought most of it sucked.

I have a question: How can "Murder on Music Row" win this year? I thought this song won some awards LAST year. Aren't the awards supposed to be for accomplishments during the past year? But, it is a great song and I guess they should make it the theme song for the awards show.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 11:37 am    

Quote:
The main thing that killed the great western swing era was television."
Television has been the Great Homogenizer and radio has been headed in the same direction for years. Our discontent is echoed by other listeners to jazz, classical, rock and R&B across the board. Smooth jazz, Classical 24 ...etc. is aimed at .."reaching the most commercially desirable segment of that audience-...the 20s-40s age demographic. ... as a kind of blandly pleasant, unobtrusive soundtrack. 'I can listen to it or not listen to it' ... 'I doesn't get in the way of my thought process, and every and then something surfaces-some melody or something-that I really enjoy'...-that sort of comment is a flat-out explanation of the pleasures of musical wallpaper."

So what we're talking about here is musical Prozac.

"Because in radio, as in television, the real transaction is not between the advertiser and the listener/viewer; it is between the advertiser and the radio station/television network. Advertisers are buying access to a certain number of listeners/viewers, often within targeted demographics. The more listeners, the more advertising revenue for the station"

"Follow the money"
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 11:46 am    

Chas, another quote for your library:

"It's opium for the masses" -Karl Marx

-John
p.s. Congratulations to forumite Jeremy Moyers on his band's recognition.
Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2001 12:29 pm    

Unfknblvble!

Willie should be ashamed of himself with that NO GROOVE mish mash with Cheryl Crow.

George Jones was a shadow of his former self. What a pity. That ,,, uh .... DUO? with Mr. Personality was putrid.

George Strait... what happened?

there is a southern saying....
"you wrong fo' dat" .... so wrong.

I actually thought Marty Stewart might even finish the song....