Michael Gray
07/12/2001

Grand Old Opry Live, the televised segment of the longest running
radio show in America, will move from The National Network (TNN) to
Country Music Televison (CMT) on Aug. 18, CMT and Opry parent company
Gaylord Entertainment announced Thursday (July 12). The show will
expand from 30 minutes to an hour and will air three times each
weekend instead of the current two times. The new format will combine
Opry stage performances with behind-the-scenes footage.

Both CMT and TNN are under the MTV Networks/Viacom umbrella. The Opry
radio show began as the "WSM Barn Dance" in Nashville in 1925 and
began airing televised segments each Saturday night on TNN in 1985.
TNN, originally The Nashville Network, has concentrated less on
country music in recent years. Meanwhile, CMT continues to increase
its country music programming focus beyond music videos.

Opry execs are pleased to become a part of the country music-focused
network.

"This will attract new viewers to CMT while exposing the Opry's
legends to CMT's younger demographic mix," said Carl Kornmeyer,
president of Gaylord's Music, Media & Entertainment Group. "It also
allows rising artists on the Opry another avenue to attract new fans.
The Opry represents the depth and breadth of country music, and our
joining with an industry leader such as CMT benefits everyone."

CMT will telecast Grand Ole Opry Live at 8 p.m. ET Saturdays, with
repeats airing at 11 p.m. ET Saturdays and 11 a.m. ET Sundays. The
show emanates from the Grand Ole Opry House in Nashville.

"CMT is devoted to keeping our viewers completely connected to
country music, and it's a great honor for the network to be home to
the most revered and respected brand in country music in the world,"
CMT Senior Vice President and General Manager Paul Hastaba said. "The
Opry is a vibrant and exciting showcase for the legends of our genre
as well as for contemporary stars and up-and-coming talent that so
respects the tradition and history of the Opry."

"The Opry is about relationships between artists, fans, and the great
legacy of the show itself," Grand Ole Opry Group President Steve
Buchanan said. "We are very pleased with the new relationship with
CMT and the opportunity that provides us to work with a partner that
shares our passion for the music and the magic of the Opry."

I did not expect this yet.
As for the format it means we have no way of knowing what will be preempted for interviews.
(Most likely the opry regulers who use steel)

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 1:53 pm    

Sounds like the "Grand Ole Opry" is going to be the "Grand New Opry" with the comment about young artists and CMT.

It does mention the older artist too so I shouldn't say it will be just "young" artists.

But, the Opry has been diluted the last couple of years by the new management so we shouldn't expect anything but a continued trend away from the traditional country music singers and musicians. The new management talks about tradition but their actions do not parallel their words.

I'm at the point I have no desire to attend a Grand Ole Opry show anymore.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 2:24 pm    

I've never been to Nashville, but if I ever go there I want to see an Opry show. I think it's cool the way they get an artist out there for just 2 or 3 tunes, so you can see a whole bunch of acts in a short period of time. There's nothing like that here in North California.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 2:28 pm    

Jack, me too.

We used to go fairly frequently and when we look around, the audience, with a few exceptions, were older people. When this crowd no longer returns, the Opry is history because the younger people are trashing Country to the point where it has no unique identity.

Sad.

[This message was edited by Leroy Riggs on 12 July 2001 at 03:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by Leroy Riggs on 12 July 2001 at 03:29 PM.]

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2001 5:03 pm    

I'll probably miss out on Opry Live then, because my cable system replaced CMT with GAC -- Great American Country; obviously a low cost alternative. I'll request that they bring back CMT.

I've been to the Grand Ole Opry once and plan to go again the next time I visit Nashville. I was very tempted last summer when they moved it back to The Ryman for a couple months.

The Opry will most certainly outlive the current (sad) state of country music.

------------------
HagFan

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 6:39 am    

Well, that's no good -- I've got GAC instead of CMT.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 7:50 am    

There's a lot of cable systems that apparently don't carry CMT. When I lived in Kansas City, Mo they didn't carry it but did carry TNN.
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 9:39 am    

I'll have to petition to get CMT instead of TNN.

Of course, the race fans might have something to say about that.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 12:40 pm    

One thing that I particularly find annoying is the fact that CMC never place anything in their "Information" box to tell viewers who is going to be on (at whatever given time) only "Music"
Lots of times I`ve wandered back to see that some really good picking and grinning have gone un-listened to.

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 1:13 pm    

It sure will be nice to catch the Sunday morning re-run, for us Sat nite giggers!now if they can dump LeRoy & Chris , we might hear some more good stuff, like steel! I'm not so sure I like our new name? kr
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2001 3:14 pm    

$#it. I don't get GAC or CMT. Although there have been a couple of Opry shows that made me spew up some GAK.
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 5:37 am    

May it's a good Idea that the Opry is mooving from The NATIONAL"POP"Network. to Country Music Television. I watched the Opry last night, and when the comercial came on"ergg" who are the programming directors for TNN..are they from this world..Here is plainly a TRADITIONAL COUNTRY Program..with a plainly Traditional COUNTRY Audience...and they ar "hawking" or (advertising) "RAP", "SOUL", "DISCO" and very plainley NOT traditional Counrty CD"s,
This is plainley a sabatoge to force away the traditional viewers...which result in LOWER RATINGS...which ultimly will FORCE the Network to change it's programing even more and DROP the Opry from it's time slot and programming..or forcing it to LATE LATE LATE night when most normal people are sleeping!!..
One more thing.....Have you checked the parking lot ar Opry Mills lately!!! Most of the cars there belong to "EMPLOYEES"...When OpryLand was still there..most of the cars in the same parking lot belonged to "Paying Customers" who were enjoining the fun and festivities of a great amusment park..
Gaylord can't take that to the bank...and by the way..what happened to the old Music Row area.... I gues the right song, got the right awards durring the Fan Fare awards!!!!!
I AM the GrouchyVet
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 6:19 am    

The Opry was around long before TV, and will probably be around for decades to come. But, I am amazed they give it any TV time at all. I can imagine the ratings aren't what they should be, and that would explain the recent changes. I like to watch the Opry on TV, but if they have to make it like "American Bandstand", or "Soul Train" (having only new, young faces, and "chart" acts) to keep the ratings, I would just as soon see it go.

Used to be a time when most all the Opry acts were veterans...well known, established entertainers. Now, it seems like almost every other week, it's an audition stage for some "wannabee" that many of us have never heard of.
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 8:58 am    

I worked for two Opry stars from 1968 to 1976 that played the Opry regularly and I loved every minute of it. My only regret is that some of my friends back home never got to see my ugly puss on TV.Oh well,thats what I get for bein' born 20 yrs too soon.
Ron

Hermiston, Oregon
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 9:11 am    

We were in Nashville last year with Bonnie owens and were staying at Fiddlers inn with her and she said if we wanted to go to the Opry we would have to go alone. Ronnie Stoneman of He Ha fame said It was almost imposable to get back stage for anyone, She wouldnt go. I think lets give the new Opery buildings and Gaylord to the new country and take back the Ryman for us that like the old Opery stars!

Ron Frazier
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2001 3:37 pm    

Oldpicker

Weatherford Ok, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 4:25 pm    

Sadly all the above comments are probably true as it seems that all the powers today care about is reaching the biggest audiance and that includes Buck Owens (one of my idols) who admits that his radio stations play what makes the most money...
A country song without some real unique instrumental riffs or leads in my opinion is
not country. A new guy on the opry last week
was given a big build up about what a great
song he was going to sing, but excuse me I did'nt get it, and it did not sound country,
but thank goodness Jim Lauderdale was country and was the highlight of the show,
and good old Bill Anderson with his new style frizzy hairdo even played country.
And as for the frizzy hairdo they even got old Porter with one... Oh well time marches on...

------------------
Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2001 7:07 pm    

I am afraid the CMT move may push the older legends out of the TV spotlight. Not a good thing. However, on the other side of the coin, if the Opry sticks to NOTHING BUT TRADITIONAL COUNTRY ACTS, both new and old, I don't think the ratings will survive. An all new artists lineup won't work either.

What I find appalling in addition to the Opry attitude is the attitudes I have seen here in the Forum. Although I would not squawk if someone hollered about Leslie Satcher "SHE AIN'T COUNTRY!!!", I think the "elephant" comments are VERY UNKIND and uncalled for. Not all of us can be skinny ya know. And the continual slagging of Lee Roy Parnell here offends me too. Are SOME of you THAT ELITIST that anyone who is, or was, a HNC artist should NOT be welcome on the Opry stage at all anymore? Sure, I'd love to see more of acts like Jim Lauderdale, Dale Watson, and the Derailers on the Opry and I like having the legends around because at least with them you'll hear great steel. Some (and I mean only SOME) of you guys sound as closed minded as my co-worker..... but she's your polar opposite........ she don't want to listen to any "country" songs that have STEEL in them.......... she doesn't like the steel sound no matter what. Do some of you think Rodney Crowell should no longer be welcome at the Opry? Just because his latest album has hardly any country on it????? I think it's his masterpiece. I thought "HEY THIS AIN'T COUNTRY" when I first heard it, but the songs are well written, and he has written and recorded some of the best songs of the last 23 years.

I tape the Opry every week. I watch those I like and I fast forward through stuff I don't like. I stood up for steelers when I thought that Chris Cagle unfairly slagged steel players. STEEL, to me, IS an ESSENTIAL part of country. But I just don't view country with an elitist eye. It had to change to survive and it will never again be like it was in the pre-Atkins/pre-Owens era. Sad but true. Traditional country will have its ups and downs........ but I'd like to see more open minds, that's all.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 2:32 am    

Jerry, you have hit on what has been many threads on "country" music.

Many of us in the "traditional" camp look upon the new stuff as "non" country. We don't consider it all bad, just we are force fed rock/pop being promoted as "country".

If I go to a show (or tune in on TV) that is promoted as the "bastion" of country music, I expect to hear country music, not some other form of music. The same with any other venue of music, e.g. If I went to a show that was billed as "big band" I wouldn't expect to hear a country act as part of the show.
Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2001 5:02 pm    

Ok, Jack. Thanks for your response. The only problem I have with it is that in this world, there are so many varied and different "definitions" of what country is.

And admittedly I'm going to disagree with many of them. I think many country fans have a "line drawn in the sand" as to what they think is and isn't country. But WHO should be the arbiter to say which of our definitions is wrong and which is right? To some, Garth is the "Anti-Hank" and the root of all that is wrong in country today. To some he IS country and the reason they started listening to country (albeit "HNC") in the first place (scary thought isn't it?) and do we really have the right to tell them they're DEAD WRONG?

But if I follow your argument, (and I supect, your qualifications as to what is and isn't country) a lot of people would never ever grace (or disgrace depending on taste) the Opry stage again. You say you "expect" to hear "country" when you tune in to the Opry. Well, I think western swing and bluegrass aren't country, but really separate genres (although I consider them related cousins) and I'm not going to complain if AATW or Ralph Stanley play the Opry. And Steve Earle has made country, rock and bluegrass records and I don't think he should be kept off the Opry (I don't think he'd rock the Opry anyway).

Is there any room for compromise here? Or am I going to be considered wrong too... despite that I like both classic/traditional country and HNC? Are you supposed to like only one or the other? Since there is no Prime Time Country or any other show to feature "live" performances, (I miss Western Beat) and there's not many country concerts in my neck of the woods, (and I have NO inclination to see McGraw/Chesney) the Opry is my main venue of seeing ANY "country" act (HNC or classic) perform live. But again it comes down to opinion. Which one counts the most? Yours? Mine? Robert K. Oermann's? Pete The Dragon's? (Fisher that is) Bill Anderson's?

There's just too many opinions, Jack. But again, thanks for answering. I expect to be blasted to kingdom come by some folks but I am glad you responded the way you did.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 8:26 am    

Well, I always claim to have been country when country wasn't cool. But the concept of a "Country Elitist" totally escapes me – seems like an oxymoron.

I know what I like to see and hear and also how to use the TV remote. I’ll watch The Grand Ole Opery if I happen to be home. I haven’t gone to the trouble of taping it in recent years. I guess that would be best given the option of fast forward.

Jerry, I see you’re in Albany, NY. I moved here from Niskayuna, NY about 15 years ago. I don’t know if I remembered the proper spelling, but the translation, I recall, is “Indian for Land of High Taxes”.

------------------
HagFan

Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2001 5:05 pm    

Hi Ron! I moved to Albany 13 years ago from California (should have had my head examined) and in NY taxes are still high. Hope you're doing OK in Ohio!
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 2:03 am    

Jerry,
I guess I was sort of a distant neigbor. I'm originally from Pittsfield, Mass..where I cut my teeth on country music. I was on a TV talent show on WRGB Shenectity(?) when I was about 16. We (our little 3 peice band )played
"Young Love" kind of a cross over pop/country song at that time.I left New England..and traveled all over the world.Returned there for while in the sixties and early 80's..but have spent the majority of my live in Georgia,South Carolina and now Beuitiful East Tennessee. I'm still country.but as noted on my other post I have an open mind and have played almost every other type of music..I guess American Music..with a little British thrown in. The thing about the Grand Ole Opry is..that is IS the Mother Church of country Music. There was a time where NO drums were allowed, no electric instruments allowed, no
ELVIS!!! allowed!. It is basicly a very Conservative Organization. It has opened it's doors to newer more up to date performers and entertainers...That traditionnal would not be allowed. and it has been Boycoted by many of the same performers who used to play there in thier early careers..and then changed thieror modernized there music for commercial purposed. Most of us kknow who those performers were...I think the main theme her is that the opry and country music is slowley being lost in the traditional sense.
Things do change..and some of want to hold on to what once was. Even though the steel guitar evolved from basicly pop music,,and is used in other types of music,it IS a traditionally country music instrument.
And the Opry is a Traditional Country Music Venue! Grouchyvet
Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2001 6:09 am    

While backstage the other night at the Opry, It was "implied" by certain "Opry artist" that they felt the move to CMT could be the "death blow" to the Opry TV show.
The debate, over "who or what" should be seen on the Opry TV show, may soon become a "moot" point, whether you approve of the Opry or not.

Dave