| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opry TV portion July 8
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 1:56 am    

Nick, it's not so much the "blues", but how it's presented. But then some of your references are not "country" either. Southern Rock is not "country". Comparing to today's "country", Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, etc could be considered country, but in the 50's and 60's that was "rock".

You references may be considered "country" in France or Europe but in the US many do not consider them "country".
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 5:00 am    

Jack -
I'm not looking at this from a French/European viewpoint... I suppose I'm just perpetuating the "what is country" question, which I actually don't believe in - I don't like the whole business of "classifying" music (or anything else, very much).
The only specific name I mentioned above (as opposed to the "southern rock" tag), who I believe is generally not considered as a country artist is JJ Cale (but then, see Waylon's song "It's Alright")... and maybe Elvis...
But a strict definition of country, as practised by many on the Forum, would seem to be "music which superficially sounds similar to Hank Williams Snr, Lefty Frizell, and Buck Owens".
On that basis, you would have to eliminate very large portions of the output of Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson, Flying Burritos, Bob Wills, Hank Jr, ... and of course instrumentalists Chet Atkins, Buddy Emmons, Jerry Reed... and you would include some of the work of Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Byrds, Mark Knopfler...
If you really get into "classifying", then I would think some of Willie's recorded versions of Night Life would be country, some would be blues, and some rock...
All this is getting away from the subject of blues... but a lot of people think Hank Williams was a pretty good blues singer... Working Man's Blues is a pretty good blues song... I think overall that the terms "Americana" or even "roots" music are more useful as definitions, otherwise I think you get real problems as to where to draw the line.
Nick
P.S. For the record, and in view of some other current threads, I'd like to make it clear that I view this as a "discussion" and not an "argument"
Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 8:22 am    

Nick.
A lot of the points you make are well taken. I've always thought blues, and country were part, and parcel of one another. And I suppose we could also start breaking up blues into different catagories. anyway, I am of the mind that different strokes for different folks,Is a great philosopy.The only thing that bothers me is that the opry is a tradition. It's not suppose to be a forum for cultural, or social change. If Leroy had done that same song with a less radical,and aggresive sound on his guitar, which he plays very well. Then IMHO the ong wold have been more appropriate for the opry stage. I'm not to good at expressing myself, and sometimes I'm thje only one who understands what I'm trying to say, so I hope you can decipher this.
Leigh

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 12:32 pm    

Nick, without going back to the "what is country" discussions that we have had many many times on the forum.

Yes it is subjected, but being a traditional country fan/musician, much of what you have listed would be considered non-traditional country or not country at the time they were recorded and released.

Because a certain artist records a certain song, does not make it "country". Charlie Daniels came on the scene as a Southern Rocker, not a country act and most of his early hits were southern rock. If you go to his live concerts today, it's still mostly southern rock, with a little flavoring of "country".

But, that's my opinion and like I said we have discussed "contry" many times. It is not the subject of this thread.
Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2001 5:04 pm    

One of Lee Roy Parnell's admitted influences is Merle Haggard. I wonder how the Hag is thought of by the people who post here...... where he fits in......... in the scheme of things as it relates to "country". I consider the Hag to be country. However, look at two of Hag's known influences, Jimmie Rodgers (THE BLUES) and Bob Wills (WESTERN SWING). Both artists are important in the history of country, but neiter artist in or of himself was really country.

Now, Lee Roy could have done that song acoustically, and perhaps that would have been more in line with the "traditionalist view" that some seem to want adhered to at all times for the Opry. However I thought the slide guitar solo at the end was the best part of the song. Many musicians can play acoustically and play it well, but not everyone can master the slide guitar. Yeh, in reality it isn't a "country instrument" but I love the sound, especially when it sounds sweet like when Lee Roy plays it.

Still, where do we draw the line as to whom we want and how do we want it on the Opry Stage?? (personally.... where my line would be....... that "Cris Cringle" character would be on the "Wrong Side of Memphis" for sure)