great with the slide.
Leslie is a promising singer songwriter

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2001 9:51 pm    

Why Mr Cole,you took the word's right out of my mouth.Tho I did'nt see the show I'm pretty sure Gene was the show
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 5:38 am    

BJ,

Clarification: No one has seen the show. I presume Janice meant July 7th -- this coming Saturday.

You're right. Our focus will be on Gene's steel player. Who will that be?

------------------
HagFan

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 8:03 am    

Who or what is Leslie Satcher?? Is that one that I fast forward through when I view it with my VCR?
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 8:27 am    

Leeroy Parnell? I thought he was a blues/rock player. Is the Opry branching out?
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 10:09 am    

Quote:
Is the Opry branching out?
I thought that was a given!
Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 3:42 pm    

LeRoy has to know someone ?
Jerry Bruner

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 4:57 pm    

Leslie Satcher....... she was previously known as just a songwriter but she got a record deal as a performer. She is the writer of Martina McBride's latest single, "When God Fearin' Women Get The Blues".

As for Lee Roy Parnell, he used to be what some of us call an HNC artist. His music was a blend of country, southern rock and blues, and had several years of hits on the Billboard country singles chart. He is a Texan and has written with the likes of Mike Reid, Bob McDill and Guy Clark. Now that he is no longer beholden to the "gods" of Music Row, he is making the music he wants to make, which these days, is the blues with the occasional side trips to gospel. He has had steel on some of his recordings, and when he had his original Hot Links he had James Pennebaker in the line up... James can play guitar, fiddle and steel. Last time I knew, James was in Pam Tillis' band.

I have no idea what LRP will do on the Opry though. Some of you purists out there may not appreciate his blend, but I have met the man in person and he is a southern gentleman and is nice to his fans. He has the respect of his peers and has guested on other artists' records. If you wanna holler "HE AIN'T COUNTRY" you wouldn't be wrong, but he's got more heart and soul than some so called country acts today.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 5:13 pm    

I have nothing against him at all, Jerry. It just made me wonder if the Opry is now accepting blues artists. I guess that his HNC hits in the 90's make him a country star forever. Not much chance of seeing Robert Cray on the Opry, though, is there?
Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 5:26 pm    

Bobby, don't give up hope. James Brown did the opry once. I wonder what he sang??
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2001 5:50 pm    

LeeRoy also had parents who were friends with Bob Wills. Bob's horse is buried on what
was Leeroy's family farm.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2001 4:58 am    

Ron, last time I taped Gene Watson on the Opry, Tommy White played steel. The song was "Farewell Party", and, as we would all expect, Tommy was outstanding.

One of Gene's hits, "Got No Reason Now for Going Home" was written (I believe)by the late Johnny Russell. Wouldn't be surprised if Gene decides to sing that one tonight.

John L.

[This message was edited by John LeMaster on 07 July 2001 at 10:30 AM.]

Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2001 5:27 pm    

I really enjoyed the show tonight. They really spotlighted the steeler with Gene.
All in all I thought it was a good tribute show. I was very moved by it.Gene did a fantastic job on "Dont you ever get tired of hurting me".
Leigh
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2001 6:03 pm    

It went from excellent to rediculous. The tributes to Chet Atkins and Johnny Russell were excellent, so good they nearly brought a tear to my eye. Rediculous was the Christmas elephant singing her latest release that she also wrote, "A Box Of Old Love Letters From Old Mexico". Thank God I can't read spanish!!!! Not far behind her was LeRoy Parnell. What was he doing there? I personally don't give two sh!ts about slide guitar playing with the distortion turned up on it and his choice of songs was just as tasteless. I know he meant well but it didn't come across. Jeannie Sealy did just fine. No, she did DAMN GOOD to be exact.

......Jack, you wasted a perfectly good tape by the way!!!!
Austin A. Preston

Haines City, Florida USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2001 6:44 pm    

I was gonna say somethin', but why bother?
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2001 8:19 pm    

So who was that steeler?!
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 4:10 am    

Pete,
It was Corky Owens. He was playing his Franklin and really got a nice tone. Fine playing
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 4:40 am    

Whats wrong with putting something on for everyone to like? But everyone doesn't watch the GOO. I Know it's the Grand ole Opry. But ask yourself whats old about it? It has changed so much that it should be called the "Grand New Opry".I watched it for Gene but found my appropriate times to hit the Fridge.I did watch Leroy and the man enjoys what he plays. Leroy is a well respected picker and he is always LeRoy. I respect that. The Opry is changing itself as witnessed by so many passings.Management doesn't seem interested in continuing the tradition otherwise they wouldn't overlook Gene Watson, Janie Frickie,Darrell,Mark Chestnut,and a slew of younguns that could fire up the furnace for a long burn. JMHO.

------------------
CJC

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 5:31 am    

Mike, I haven't had a chance to play the tape, but it apparently wasn't all bad.

With the Franklin on there, I'll have to really check it out. Us Franklin pickers have to stick together.
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 5:45 am    

Jack, that part was one of the good parts and he did sound great as did Gene. You will want to watch the Christmas Elephant just for sh!ts and giggles though. Try to follow the words to her song while she is warbling.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 10:38 am    

I agree, the Franklin looked and sounded great. Nice touch by Corky, especially on "...No Reason Now..." fills and twin steel/guitar parts.
What is the name of the color of Corkys steel? I liked it. It looked like a light blue on my TV.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2001 6:06 pm    

Pete,
The color is turquoise. Thanks, Theresa
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2001 1:27 pm    

I dozed off half-way through Opry Backstage, only to be pleasantly awakend a half-hour later by Corky's turnaround in Gene's second number, "Take Me As I Am". Waking up that way feels better than being awakened by the sound of your own snoring, which is damn near tops in my book.

If I knew then I'd forgotten that Johnny Russell wrote "Got No Reason Now for Going Home".

It's nice to know that Gene has a new CD coming out soon.

------------------
HagFan

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 2:37 am    

Mike, I finally got to replay the tape from the Opry. I didn't get through too much of "big momma", most of her went the fast forward route.

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2001 11:30 pm    

I didn't see the show, and I haven't heard Lee Roy's new album - but the "country V. blues" thing is older than the "new country/pop" thing!
Waylon, Hank Jr, Charlie Daniels, the whole "southern rock" crew, JJ Cale, etc, were mixing country & blues (& rock) in the 70s... Of course Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee etc were mixing them in the 50s ... and I was listening just yesterday to a Western Swing compilation from the 20s/30s/40s, and my wife said "that's a nice blues album you're playing"... well, there were at least 3 Tampa Red songs on there, plus Milk Cow Blues - and yes, it IS a blues album - but it's Western Swing.
OK I know this isn't really relevant to whether Lee Roy fits on the Grand Ole Opry - but most of MY favorite music has elements of blues AND country ... and I wish I'd been able to see the show! (Guess I'll have to buy the record)
Nick