| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country Music?
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 May 2001 3:34 pm    

Who cares, It's really just the steel we all love anyway! I could care less what kind of lable "they" put on it! But it better have STEEL GUITAR ON IT !! Country of today will die a slow antaginizing death,it is now,but STEEL WILL LIVE FOREVER! Classic "country will never die,Bluegrass proves this. STEEL GUITAR IS SECURE! Not like accordian.
Lets go with the flow,play music,not the lable!! Play the steel guitar,where ever your able, (Darn,That was good!)
Where does your loyalty lie,really, with steel or country cra--(sorry),music.
My vote is for steel guitar!
Bobbe Seymour
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2001 3:56 pm    

I'm with you all the way on this one Bobbe (can't believe I said that).

Folks on this forum are more concerned with the label of music than the music. Why I even like a good portion of the new "COUNTRY" music. Once you get to play it on steel guitar with a band, you learn to appreciate some of the complexities of the new music. Why it even has more than 3 chords, and it's not all a 4/4 shuffle (as much as I like those)

If more of the people we hear from on this forum would get out from behind their computer and PICK the steel, maybe they could learn to like the music too.

In the band in which I work, we play both new and old. I am expected to play steel parts in each and every song we play, whether I like the song or not. According to many of my peers, it has helped my playing a great deal. It comes from being pushed into playing whatever is put in front of you.

Ok, I'm ready, eat my cake.

PS: Ever learn how to plug in that Boss Tone.

Bill Ferguson

------------------
"Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2001 5:58 pm    

Bill,
Nicely said!
Frank

West Memphis, Ar . USofA, where steeling comes natural
Post  Posted 7 May 2001 9:30 pm    

You know, I`ve never heard a sideman yet that could cry like a good steel in a good pair of hands, I believe the steel is here to stay along with good county music.Thats just my opinion.
BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 12:25 am    

Is the song any good?Is the singer any good that sings that song?Did it have some outstanding musical lead or backup?If the song or the musical did,and it was outstanding,it will live.For the oldy gold'es live on for year's. Singers And musician alike will sing and play these songs,as they are handed down from one generation to the next.Recording artist from time to time re;record the good songs.There's just something about good music,it don't die.If you have not notice I have'nt put a label or brand on good music.
I was raised on country,50's rock,and blue's.Therefore I have learn to like some of it all and whats left I can tolerate.When I am not playing with the band on a job or practice and I'm at home just doodleing on my steel I play according to the mood I'm in.
It may be some old BB King song like Stormy Monday,or Ray Price=Jimmy Day,Crazy arm's or Chuck Berry Johnny Be Good.But I think label's on music can cause some folks to miss out on alot of great stuff.I would just love to be able to do some of the stuff that Bobbie See=mo HA HA can do like sweet Geogie Brown.No the steelguitar will never die,neither will a good song or a good musical arangement.Only people die and lable's sometime's change.But a good song just stay's around waiting to be played again

------------------
BJ Bailey

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 12:40 am    

Yeah booooobie see=mo I'm the one that got so excited watching you play,in that room in New Orleans,bought three of your tapes that I liston to when your number comes up amongst my many other steelguitar hero'sI can still see your warm freindly smile.By the way boooobie,on one of those tapes you sold me ,who is the man playing steel,and Faron Young standing over him

------------------
BJ Bailey

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 2:58 am    

The musicianship on the current product is really great. I hear a lot of "tried and true" licks but I also hear some new and interesting licks.

However that's when I listen to "country" radio, which is getting less and less. I rarely listen to "country" radio at home and it is getting less and less in the car. 30 minutes and they've went through their play list and although there is steel in most of the songs it still sounds like a rock/pop station instead of a "country" station. I've started listening more and more to the local "cool jazz" station.

The singer/band leader that I work with now used to work the road with Tommy Collins and was good friends with Wynn Stewart. Needless to say we do a lot of their music. It may be a "time warp" but I'm happy picking the traditional country, and since we do not have any problems filling up the place we play there are many that must like it too.
Joe Smith

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 5:33 am    

Bobbe, I'm with you man.
The band that I play in does mostly privite gigs and we have do all types of music. I guess one of the most requested songs that we play is The Electric Slide. Boogi Woogi Woogi Woogi

------------------
Playing PSG keeps you on your toes.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 5:55 am    

Bobbe I respect your opinion and somewhat agree one has to catch on and do whats happening now to survive not just as a working Steel Player..BJ hit the nail on the head with, a good song will always be played,I like to stretch that a little and say good music will always be played..Trends come and go,things change everyday,yet somehow stay the same.At every Steel show I have attended 90% of the songs played are the ever popular standards that will survive longer than instruments that play them. By that I mean wear and tear of the instruments themselves. One can't fault the Pickers who can make these adjustments and move into the now scene. Lord knows the instruments are built to do it all.In todays music the signatures we could all recognize are gone..we have to assume or guess who is doing it..Now some venues are not listing the Musicians who did the sessions..I feel the present direction isn't fair for the future greats if any can develope signature styles like the greats of past.It will take more than Steel shows to show who is out there.I feel it isn't fair for the instrument and the investment a picker has to make.It took years and many great talents to develope all the greatness of the past and it seems that it took only a few years by so few people to change what was good loved music. That is why so many of us still cling to the music that was us.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 6:35 am    

Bobbe, I agree with you 100%. I guess we all have to accept it even though I don't like it. I have shown that on several postings. It's not just the missing steel that urkes me. A lot of it is the whole big picture. The lyrics in today's country are bad. Like"She Thinks My Tractors Sexy". Give me a break. There are others and these new people make the music sound like they don't care about it at all. No more heartfelt lyrics. Everything seems to be upbeat and positive which is ok I guess but it's not so in the real world. I could use a little more crying and a little less laughing. Now watch somebody will paste that line to use in their posting to respond to me. I like all kinds of music, but if it has a steel in it I like it better. Gotta go. To qoute a famous player"Wow Too Much Coffee". I think that's the one.

------------------
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 6:37 am    

By the way Bobbe, I didn't know you were such a poet. Maybe you could write the next big hit.

------------------
David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 7:00 am    

You know, I'm a newbie in that I have been playing and practicing for about a year or so with any dedication.

I just spent 3 or 4 hours going over the Jimmie Buffet song "He Went to Paris" and tried to get the exact tab. (it would take a skilled player maybe 20 minutes!) The licks are easy, but they fit and they are very tasty in spots.

The group I practice with is ok with "Wild Side of Life" or "Silver Wings", but they really like to play the songs they are familiar with and hear a few steel licks in them. Eagles, Buffet, Elton John etc.

The Eagles did a bunch of tasty steel stuff that newbies can play. Hollywood Waltz comes to mind. Steel runs all through that song.

I gritted my teeth and turned to the New Country station after the "Old Country" station went AM only. I'v got to confess that I like much of what I hear. Not all, but how can you not like that "It's a Great Day" song...steel or not? And Tommy White on the little girl song?

I hear that the same kind of hand-wringing about the decline of country music went on when Red Foley took over the mic at the Opry.

------------------
Sho-Bud Pro II Custom, Sierra Artist S-10, Fessenden S-10, Session 2000
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 9:53 am    

Bobbe, I'm in agreement with you on this matter even though I still think the older music has more "charm" so to speak. I have really been trying to develope a liking to the newer things and if I can find something good in it most anyone can. In another post though it was stated about missing the sounds of the past. The only thing that is still sounding like the past is the steel. I could swear that Pete was alive again and along with Ralph Mooney they were tearing up the session world again. My point is roll with the flow yes but the steel needs to make some new waves to keep alive. Not that I have anything against Pete and Ralph I'm just saying that we've already had a Pete and Ralph we don't need another pair. Mike
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 8 May 2001 12:00 pm    

Mike<
Yes yes yes yes , your correct,We just need a lot more steel everywhere !!!!!
Bobbe
Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 8 May 2001 5:19 pm    

We have been a country band that has had a lot of success in Golf Country Club, Singles Clubs, Beach Clubs. Over the years we did "margaritaville" when it was not done with a steel (before Alan's CD), "Save the last dance for me" when it was considered "beach music" in the Carolinas, and a bunch of others like "Under the Board Walk" (by the Drifters), the "Rose", and I did it with lots of steel, and worked time and time again. Although I am a very weak steal player by professional standards, we worked steadily for five years, doing repeat gigs time after time...I still love "Farewell party", "Satin Sheets", "Look at us", but the general public are just not countr purists, and like a little more vairety. So, to keep steel alive, we do need to work it into the more pop type music...and it sure can sound good...we proved that for years...
VERNON PRIDDY

ELIZABETHTOWN; KY. USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2001 1:30 pm    

If I Could Play Like Bobbe Seymour I Woudn't Have To Work So Hard. SONNY.

------------------
SONNYPRIDDY

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 6:17 pm    

I agree with you Bobbe, as long as the steel has got good tone....no Ooga horns please! Larry
Pete Mitchell

Buda, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2001 6:12 pm    

Let's define "country music." First of all, if I'm not too badly mistaken, it seems to me country music was once referred to as "hillbilly music" which Ernest Tubb didn't care for; so he is pretty much responsible for the term "country and western" music.

Let's for a moment consider Appalachia, which gave us the likes of Molly O'Day, Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper. Now let's go to the Smoky Mountains; hence Roy Acuff and the Smoky Mountain Boys. Let's bounce down to Texas as in the Texas Troubadour Ernest Tubb, George Jones, and a modern day George Strait. Let's not forget the western part, Bob Wills. By all means, let's not forget one of my uncle's favorites that he came home ranting and raving about, a young fellow from Kentucky, Bill Monroe. So, let me see, is CULTURE entering the picture here? You bet it is!!!!

Now, let's bounce back to the first pedal steel guitar most of us heard, via Webb Pierce and Bud Isaacs. However, I'm sure you have all heard of Alvino Rey who was tinkering with pedals a long, long time ago, as well as the talk-box.

I have heard people harping about a horn in country music. It so happens Ernest Tubb's hero, the Blue Yodeler Jimmie Rodgers, incorporated a young horn player by the name of Louis Armstrong. I mentioned this to ET one time and he said, "Yes, son, you're right." Remember one of Bob Wills' songs, "Time Changes Everything?" How about Willie's "Phases and Stages, Circles and CYCLES?" Let's chew on this for a while, I believe it would make for a pretty good pot of stew. Pete

P.S. I believe the above names I've mentioned incorporated some mighty fine dobro players and pedal pushers that have inspired us. I, too, dislike the frustrated rock and roll that is being called "country music." Heck, Jimmy Page donned a western hat in Nashville and did the two-step across the stage with a young lady, but he's for real in the real rock and roll world, not having to "pretend" to be country to sell a record or two.

[This message was edited by Pete Mitchell on 14 May 2001 at 07:16 PM.]

erik

Post  Posted 14 May 2001 6:17 pm    

The problem with Country music today is there is no country anymore, everyone one is a Suburbanite.
David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 6:27 am    

Erik....

You are on to something there. No "Lost Highways". Can't get lost on I-70, No railroad bums, everyone has a job, not cool to get drunk in a bar and cry in your beer, over-the-road trucks have air conditioning, GPS systems, automatic gears and leather seats.

Seems to me that today's modern country is the venue to sing about the 'modern' ups and downs. Alzheimers, child abuse, taking the Harley for a "three day cruise".
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 6:49 am    

Hi Pete Mitchell

Enjoyed your comments,,,,you are right on the Money,,,,,,good post,,,,,JC
Neil Hilton

Lexington, Kentucky
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 7:06 am    

David, your right, that's a big part of the hook - the call that many of us hear, longing for simpler times, more simple way of life, thoughts of grandpa in his old chair with his Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco can at the side listening to Carl Smith, Hank Sr, and ET..... that's my call, and the music provides the hooks of connection that I love.

Your reference to I-70... when traveling to and from your city, I bail off onto old 36 - there's a road my man to set the cruise at 52mph and get lost in some real country only to be broken up by coffee reloads in Cope, Joes, and Last Chance.
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 15 May 2001 8:19 am    

Every one seems to be in agreement on this whole thread,How did that happen! We all love steel guitar and won't let it decline like so many other instruments have. The type of music isn't really that important, working and playing is! Even though we all have our prefrences,We need to be able to "do it all".
Respectfully,
Bobbe Seymour
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 8:44 am    

Right on Bobbye. Go get um!

Bill

------------------
"Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"
Lindley

Statesville, NC...USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2001 4:30 am    

Yea, what Bobbe said!

------------------
Steel crazy after all these years.
Emmons Lashley Legrande 111 S-10, Nashville 1000, Peavey Stereo chorus 212, Peavey Classic 50/410, Lexicon MPX 100