| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jelly Roll Morton played steel
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 6:15 am    

Yes, that's right folks. Pioneer jazz pianist Jelly Roll Morton (real name Ferdinand Lamothe) played steel.

On page 16 of the new biography, "Jelly's Blues" (Da Capo Press 2003) Morton states that the steel guitar was the first instrument he took lessons on. The authors state that Morton was 5 years old at the time, but Morton himself implies (the way I read it) that he was a little older. (His birth date was either 1885 or 1890, depending on the source used.)

He recalls that his teacher was "...an old friend, a Spanish gentleman." Morton apparently stayed with the steel for some time before taking up piano, which he initially percieved as a lady's instrument.
Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 11:29 am    

I am probably the biggest Jelly Roll fan this side of N.O. I believe they were refering to the Spanish, not steel guitar. Probably a printing error. The steel guitar had'nt even been invented, or discovered if you will, when Morton was 5 years old.

I have compiled quite a collection on Morton, including most of his recordings, biography etc. He indeed did state that his first instrument was a guitar, a Spanish guitar, as they used to be called. Nowadays it's known as the plain old accoustic guitar, the regular 6 string.

Jim
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 12:13 pm    

Actually, Joseph Kekuku claimed to have discovered the technique of steel guitar in 1885 - when he was 11 years old. He then spent several years perfecting it. So it is possible that Morton would have played steel but kind of unlikely, as the real popularization of the instrument outside Hawaii didn't happen 'til the Panama-Pacific Exhibition in 1915.
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 1:08 pm    

Thanks Jim,

Interesting point, the book may be wrong. If so, that's pretty sloppy work by the authors, who are both prize-winning investigative journalists. If you get a chance, you might want to read it for yourself. I found the book on the shelf at the local Borders and it's also available through all normal book outlets. The words "steel guitar" were used by Morton writing about himself. I'm interested in learning if you have seen the same writing by Morton quoted more accurately.(I'd also be interested in your overall opinion, as a Jelly Roll fan, on the book. I think others have criticised it. Please feel free to e-mail me directly.)

If the 1890 birth date is accepted and he was closer to age 10 when he took the lessons, then the time frame of the lessons is close to 1900. You are certainly more familiar with the controversy over Morton's birthdate than I am. Which one do you favor?

My understanding--please correct me if I am wrong--is that HSG had gained popularity very early in the 20th century and the Hawaiian music fad had already begun before well before 1915. Then the fad indeed got a tremendous boost from the Panama-Pacific Exposition in 1915. Am I right on this timeline?

Then again, it may be just another case of calling something a "steel guitar" when it's not. We've all seen plenty of that. Grrrrrr.

The longer I ponder this, the more it seems the book was probably wrong. it's likely that either Morton was misquoted or he himself wrote "steel guitar" when he meant steel string guitar, Spanish guitar, etc. And a "Spanish gentleman" teaching steel circa 1900 sounds suspect.

Thanks again,

Bob

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 1:16 pm    

If Morton was 5 years old in 1890, meaning his actual birthdate was 1885, which most historians think is the most likely, that would mean his instructor had already been playing the steel (Hawaiian) guitar long enough to become proficient enough himself to hang his shingle out as a teacher. And we all know that should'nt take more than a week or two, right.

Not even a remote possibility!....Well, maybe it is if your using "new math".

Jim

Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 1:32 pm    

Hey Bob, we were both posting at the same time and I had not read your last post yet. My second post was meant as wry humor, not a "put-down".

I have several different articles in which Morton is quoted as saying his first instrument was a Spanish guitar on which he studied classical music. I also have the infamous Library of Congress series of tapes, which were recorded in 1939, where he says exactly the same thing, him doing the speaking.

Jim

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 1:37 pm    

Jim,

You are probably right. I have e-mailed you more detailed info from Jelly's Blues. I'm interested in your opinion of the source the authors used.

By the way, the authors of Jelly's Blues favor the 1885 birth date.

Meanwhile I'm still interested in info/opinions on the mainland US (Hawaiian) steel guitar fad timeline that anyone might chime in with.

Best,

Bob
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 1:44 pm    

Jim,

And I was posting simultaneously again too. No offense taken--I got the joke. You're the longtime Jelly Roll fan. I'm just starting to learn.

Like I said, it seems the authors might have gotten sloppy here.

Bob

Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 1:48 pm    

i read in the recent book about Knutsun guitars (don't remember the title offhand) that there was an exhibition in seattle in 1909 that featured hawaiian musicians. knutsun developed his hollow neck hawaiian guitar during this time period. you may want to check this source for more info on the development of interest in hawaiian/slide guitar in america. i'll try to find the title/author info when i have some time if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 1:55 pm    

The book is called "From Harp Guitars to the New Hawaiian Family - Chris J. Knutsen" by George T. Noe and Daniel L. Most.
Subtitle: "History and Development of the Hawaiian Steel Guitar".
Great book, highly recommended! Last time I checked Elderly Music offered it.

PS - Knutsen was originally from Norway
Double PS - if you're seriously interested in the development of harp guitars and acoustic Hawaiian guitars pre-Weissenborn, then don't miss this great site: http://home.earthlink.net/~chrisknutsen/

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 15 August 2003 at 02:57 PM.]

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 15 August 2003 at 02:59 PM.]

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 5:48 pm    

Charlie Patton was playing slide (Lap Style in his case) in the Delta in the 19 oghts. Wasn't it '03 when WC Handy reported hearing a man in a train station playing slide?
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 7:01 am    

Thanks everyone for your posts. It does seem that Morton took Spanish guitar lessons, rather than steel guitar lessons. He apparently stated the Spanish guitar story on many occassions. And there is no way to corroborate his story as apparently no one ever same him playing the guitar or taking lessons, or saw his teacher.

Of course, Morton--like many others--didn't always tell the same story twice and/or often was confused himself.

The Knutsen site is great!

Best,

Bob
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 7:54 am    

One thing he said more than twice was "I invented jazz."
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 8:20 am    

Jelly Roll was drawn to the sporting life early on and those Houses of love had guitar or piano players entertaining every one. I could see why he might have been drawn to the guitar at first, seeing busker's out on the street etc. Winton Marsallas stated that Jelly Roll used to watch thru a hole in the wall where he was playing, so's he could give the goings on a sound track, the girls would give him extra tips if it helped the mood. Now, that is one weird gig!
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2003 8:39 am    

Buddy Boulden was the first musician to be celebrated for playing jazz. He is credited with introducing the inovation of personality of a solo that rose above the rest of the band and also the inovation of the "Big Four", where there is a skip on the 4th beat of the measure in a march. Boom cha, Boom cha, Boom cha, baboom ummm...cha, Boom cha,Boom cha, baboom ummm...cha etc. The cimbel and the bass drum land together on the fouth beat. Jazz took off because of these two inovations.

By the way, a "Jelly Roll" describes a particular motion that is going on when one is making love.