| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  This Thing We Call Shopryland
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2001 3:52 am    

Jack ,Buddy Doc Peters is now collecting uemployment after working the Sevierville circuit. Gaylord didn't renew it's lease of the Governors Pallace and thus a lot of people were out of Jobs. With Guys like Him and the likes of Herby Wallace not employed it tells something about the state of Country Music don't it? Rumor has it there is a wagon train moving to New york.

------------------
CJC

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2001 6:25 am    

Actually, I've also caught a few good music acts there, as well. In the mall itself, in the shop that has the Gibson store, and inside another store (forget the name).

I believe that Tower Records there just had (or is about to have) a bunch of songwriters performing some of the hits of Garth Brooks there, too. Too bad that wasn't during Tin Pan South.

Of course, the best thing about it might be that in the middle of June, it's air-conditioned in there!

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Mark Frederick

The Great State of Arizona
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2001 8:14 am    

Earl:

Easy, man!! "F*****g place"????? I'm at just the right age to be pickin' up talk like that, ya know.

Mark
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2001 11:22 am    

Sorry Mark,I lost my head there for a minute...I just took my Prozac...now I feel better.
Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2001 11:52 am    

I had to laugh (cry?) when I read Chris Schlotzhauer's post about Austin becoming the next music city. I was reading the other posts and was struck by the similarities with what is happening here. We built a big convention center. Now we are told the convention center is not big enough and and more of old Austin was turned into rubble to make wasy for "big bidness". One of the oldest veues in town "liberty Lunch" was bulldozed to make room for a new building for a Californian Computer company that now says it is not gonna build there after all. Thanks Guys!! The city and the Mayor promised to help find another home for Liberty Lunch but, of course nothing ever came of it. Anyone who has visited here in the last year will already know what a complete mess the traffic in town is, half the downtown streets are bulldozed to make way for chain stores, and pie in the sky e commerces, which may or may not be broke before the buildings get built.

The cities boast of Austin being Live Music Capital of the World is really one sick statement for them to make, because they and their big bidness chums are doing thie damndest to ruin this town for music, musicians, and regular folks in general. Now where did I leave my medication??.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2001 12:33 pm    

Steve, does the Chamber of Commerce know you are "promoting" the city??

Actually, Nashville, Austin or wherever, does not have a lock on what they are doing to the city's infrastructure.

When I lived in Kansas City (and worked downtown) an entire city block was razed to build an AT&T "town pavillion" office and retail center. By the time the building was built, Judge Green had issued his AT&T breakup order. AT&T initially filled 20 of the 22 floors in the building (there was one eatery floor and one retail floor). Within two years AT&T had moved most of their personnel out of the building and was trying to lease it. Eventually Gateway Computers leased a big portion for a telephone tech support function. That lasted less than two years and Gateway built their own building (which may be empty with all the downsizing). etc., etc.
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2001 12:54 pm    

Does Gaylord operate in Austin ? Kansas City?

If not, is it at all possible that the current situation does not reflect only Gaylord, (The Font Of All Evil) but rather the social/business climate in general ?

-John
VERNON PRIDDY

ELIZABETHTOWN; KY. USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2001 3:19 pm    

I'm With You Bobbe. I'm From The Older Days When Country Was Country. SONNY.

------------------
SONNYPRIDDY