| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fluxcapo
Lindley

Statesville, NC...USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2003 12:06 pm    

How many of you have tried the Fluxcapo? I don't have a capo for my Virginian yet, and I was wondering how it is. I heard it is what J Douglas uses. Not that that makes it the best, but it is a strong endorsement. Opinions on other capos for a square neck would be welcomed..

------------------
Steel crazy after all these years.
Emmons Lashley Legrande 111 S-10, Nashville 1000, Peavey Stereo chorus 212, Peavey Classic 50/410, Lexicon MPX 100, Crafters of Tennessee Virginian reso.

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2003 1:01 pm    

Never tried the Fluxcapo, but I'm very happy with my Beard capo. Comes on and off real easy and preserves the tone pretty well.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2003 4:21 pm    

The Beard is very similar to the Bradley, which I use. Unlike the Flux, neither pinches the strings. IMHO, a capo needs to be as heavy as the bar, and not clamp the string. And stay away from the Shubb!
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 5:54 am    

I have the Flux capo and like it better than the Beard. However, I rarely use a capo. Most of the time I leave it at home.
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2003 5:58 pm    

I also like the Beard for the times I really need a capo.Capos' are cool if you know some really cool hammer on-pull offs in "G"you can switch keys and not have to relearn the lick.And sometimes nothing will sound just the same,so,transcribing may not always be the answer.Sometimes you just got to have them open strings!Yaaaa-hoooo for Capos!!I would also stay away from the Shub.They dont seem to fit most square necks that I have seen.this of course is just MHO.

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII
"there's been an awful murder, down on music row!"

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2003 8:30 pm    

Most of the pro capos have pluses and minuses... The flux has a very low profile and doesn't get in the way of your left hand antics as much as the thicker Beard and Bradley. There is less mass to a flux and I think a bit of tone and sustain loss. The Beard is very nicely made with a bone and leather leading edge, but the tiny thumbscrew to tighten takes longer than the flux, and is a "dropped through a crack in the stage floor" disaster waiting to happen. The Bradley is like a beefier Beard, with a simple cam lever to tighten, nothing to lose. The Riden often seen on ebay is a great idea, but poor material that robs tone. Lots of folks swear by the Liberty/Binge lever action styles if you can find 'em. I like the flux, Beard, and Bradley, vote for the Bradley for sustain, tone, and no parts to lose.

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band

[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 16 August 2003 at 09:31 PM.]

Keith DeLong

Dartmouth NS Canada
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2003 5:27 pm    

What IS the problem with the Shubb? I use one on a roundneck Regal, the only problem I see so far is that the nut was raised, but not high enough. Now I'm curious.
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2003 6:02 pm    

The Shubb works fine on squareneck Dobro and OMI guitars. Probably the most "exact" of all capos, but the string height and neck size is critical, plus you really need steel frets. I use one with my Dobro, and a Flux with my Benoit.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2003 7:14 pm    

As Kenney says, the Shubb lines up via touching the side of your fret, hence inlaid frets won't do, and has a pretty critical height (fingerboard to string) to work. (That's where most folks have had problems). I had one that would fit my Crafter's, but not my Melobro or Beard. They now make several different sizes of the height sleeve for the Shubb, and you can probably get one to fit most guitars. The folks at John Pearce are truly wonderful and glad to help you get what you need if you want to check out the Shubb.