| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dave Stogner official website
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2001 8:42 am    

Anyone remember West Coast Western Swing bandleader, television personality ...Dave Stogner?

http://personal.riverusers.com/~dstog/

His son Daryl has put together a really fine tribute to his father and is looking for anyone who remembers Dave, his bands, the Fresno Barn or has any pics from Dave's career. Check out the site, it's well designed and if you need to email Daryl, you'll also find a link for that on the site as well.

[This message was edited by Jason Odd on 03 April 2001 at 10:00 PM.]

Al Johnson

Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2001 6:10 pm    

Yes, Jason, I remember Dave Stogner, had some
recordings by him. I can't seem to hookup
with his site though. Any other ideas? Al.
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2001 9:04 pm    

Al, I've just fixed my bad link on the original post above, I just tried it and it works fine.
I've emailed Daryl and he's a really nice guy and I have to say I really like the work he has done on that site.
He's still adding material, so if anyone hasn't seen it check it out it's that wonderful West Coast swing again!

------------------
The future ain't what it used to be
Al Johnson

Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2001 7:12 pm    

Thank you, Jason. It works great. The link
looks a little different than the one before.
I had an LP years ago by Dave and it was
great. Thanks for the info and the hookup.
Al
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2001 8:55 pm    

Hi Al, I know there were a couple of German compilation albums in the 1980s, I think they have been used to create the CDs that are now available.

I emailed Daryl Stogner and he's still adding things, so it's well worth popping in now and again. There's alos another Stogner page on the Rockabilly Hall Of Fame website and apparently there will be a book on Dave soon. Should be interesting.
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2001 8:38 am    

Hi Jason...I sure do remember Dave. In fact, he had his own weekday TV show in Bakersfield called Dave Stogner's Country Corner. His band was Daryl Stogner on bass, Norman Hamlet on PSG, Kenny Eggenberg on lead guitar, Sonny (I don't recall his last name)on drunms, and Dennis Payne lead vocal. Dave would get his fiddle out on occasion too. Red Simpson was a frequent guest. Buck & the Buckaroos did a full half hour special on his program one afternoon. I believe there's a snapshot of that particular program in Buck's Box Set on Rhino Records. Wynn Stewart dropped in one day too to sing a few songs and help him sell good ole Rainbo Bread one of the show's sponsors. The programs were well done and real country. Those were the good old days. I met Daryl later on at a dance and told him how much I liked his dad's show.
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2001 5:32 pm    

Gary, I'm sure Daryl would love to get an email from you. He's looking for people to write in with their recollections.

That drummer you mentioned, I think it's probably Sonny O'Brien.
Norm was later replaced by the late and great Leo LeBlanc in 1967, Leo went on to play with a lot of performers and do sessions, but a personal fave of mine was the fact that he was in the band of Beck, the R&B, hip-hop folk singer in 1993-1994, sadly Leo passed away in 1995.
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2001 8:19 pm    

Jason: Yep, O' Brien it was. You have a fantastic memory. I will e-mail Daryl. I'm glad he's taking the lead in honoring his dad. My hope is that somebody soon will write a book entirely devoted to the great sidemen on the West Coast in the 50's and 60's. What an era it was.

Best regards.
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2001 7:31 am    

Gary, I'm doing a book, but it isn't totally devoted to the West Coast, just mostly devoted to the West Coast!

------------------
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2001 12:44 pm    

Jason: Let me know if I can help..as if you need it. Can't wait to read your book. Keep in touch will you.
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2001 11:19 pm    

Gary, emails are coming, did you get the Hank Thompson picture?

Daryl just emailed me and said the site has been updated, he has heard from Norm Hamlett, Doyle Holly and some others and got some more pics.

------------------
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 7:48 am    

Jason: I've been out of town for the past few days and I apologize for not replying sooner. I'm going into the office tonight and will check my e-mail there. Looking forward to receiving the picture of Hank T and future communications. Looks like the tribute to Dave Stogner is steaming forward..and that's good.

Best regards.....
Jason Odd

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2001 5:02 pm    

Gary, I was at E-Bay a while back, and Ilike to prowl around and copy pics and just look at stuff I can't always afford, but it's quite interesting, especially if you go to the pre-1960s country music section.

There was a 1950s pic of Dave Stogner and his band with a female non-pedal player. I copied it and totally forgot about it until a couple of nights ago and sent it to Daryl.
If you've been to the site and can'tfind it I'll email you a copy. It's small but it's a real crisp one, must have been from a promo photo, a great bandstand shot.
Jimmy Youngblood

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2001 11:35 pm    

Jason... thanks for the memories.

Them sure was some good ol' days!