| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music Industry fighting back against internet music sharing?
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2001 11:46 am    

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/17805.html

Interesting article.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2001 9:48 am    

I don't have a problem with that.
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2001 11:59 am    

Neither do I. Though I can see the "privacy rights" advocates getting all stirred up about it.

Just fighting fire with a little fire.

Here's another link you might find interesting.
http://www.nashvillesongwriters.com/legup.htm

This part just makes my blood boil.

"Ironically the legislation is called the Music Owners' Listening Rights Act."

------------------

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2001 12:46 pm    

What's the expectation of privacy when you're downloading files from someone you don't even know? I don't see it as a privacy issue at all. The Internet is a public place. Downloading a file is no different from picking up an apple from a fruit stand on the corner. What's the expectation of privacy there?

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2001 5:28 pm    

I don't necessarily disagree, entirely.

But, people DO expect (rightly or wrongly) privacy when they send things across the internet.

For instance, what if somebody were tracking things you order from stores over the internet? Perhaps the state government, so they could collect "use taxes" from individuals. People would be in an uproar.

The whole right to privacy issue is an interesting one, legally. It's been fairly well established, for example, that if the police sit outside your house (on the street) and watch through your open window, that what they see hasn't invaded your privacy. Or what they hear, for that matter.

Yet, there have been legal issues raised about using infra-red type devices to detect things like heatlamps for growing marijuana.

The argument could be made that what you SEE is nothing more than your eyes interpreting energy in a particular spectrum. So, using IR-technology to make a different spectrum visible is no different.

Now, I don't buy that argument, personally. Nor do I agree with a lot of the anti-drug laws (esp. Federal).

But that's a whole different issue, best left to the Off-Topic board, probably.

My basic point was that people WILL raise the issue of privacy. Which just means there'll be another interesting legal battle about this whole issue going on.

This presumes that the first link is right -- can they REALLY do what it says? I think it's possible, but they probably had to hire some pretty good programmers to help out with something like that.

------------------

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 5:41 pm    

You know what's interesting, Bob? I actually have a version of a similar piece of software (called Media Enforcer) on my PC. I had completely forgotten about it, until going through my HDD today (cleaning things up).

I had read about it before, as it allows a person to search for downloads of music (only from Napster on the version I have) -- I never got it to work, though, because you have to have a Napster logon ID to get it to work.

A friend I was chatting with the other day was questioning whether or not such software could really exist (as described in the article) -- well, I guess it does -- since I have it (untested though it may be).

------------------

Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 8:34 pm    

Quote:
For instance, what if somebody were tracking things you order from stores over the internet? Perhaps the state government, so they could collect "use taxes" from individuals. People would be in an uproar.
Any internet store that doesn't use encryption for transactions is foolish, as are its customers. If the Napster types want privacy, they should encrypt the transaction. But of course they won't, because good encryption technology costs money, and they don't want to pay for anything.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 6:38 pm    

You're right, of course, Bob.

But SOMEBODY had to play devil's advocate and at least attempt to make the argument.

You can bet the legal arguments will be made, too. Let's just hope judges are wise enough to make the correct decisions.

------------------

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2001 9:29 am    

Usual disclaimer: I don't use Napster, never have.

Regarding the issue of your right to privacy vs. the reality. The same could be said of your right to your intellectual property vs. reality. In both cases I see those as basic rights, and yet on the internet it's becoming increasingly difficult to ensure either one.

OTOH, Napster use DOES seem to imply that you are making your computer use through that site rather open to observation. Even though I value privacy, I think the copyright holders have a right to keep tabs of mp3 sharing sites, since they HAVE been the source of much piracy.

However one thing about the article bothers me. The music industry execs are talking about firewalling Napster, et.al, at the source, or about blocking it. If they can really do that, it's hacking, and it's not right. I don't care how noble their cause is. Gathering info on pirates is one thing, interfering with internet traffic is another.

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10