| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Non Subjective listening
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 1:59 am    

I've been making a real effort these days be non subjective in my listening. Not thinking about if I like something or if it is good or any of that stuff. Just listen to the sound of it without assumptions or judgements. Its pretty hard to do for me. It has been having some great benefits. Music is alot more fun this way.

One unexpected thing is that by not thinking in terms of myself I found it very easy to get through a high pressure gig tonight.

Bob
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 10:42 am    

That reminds me of a drummer I know. He told me that he had finally figured out how to play with steady time: he plays without any emotional involvement in the music.

It seems obvious to me that it's a mistake to play music without caring about it.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 12:16 pm    

Well, at least he cares that it's in time!
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 12:20 pm    

Earnest,

I am actually able to have a deeper emotional connection to the music when I don't focus on the ideas of good or bad. Or when I worry about screwing up and looking like a dork.
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 12:45 pm    

Quote:
Not thinking about if I like something or if it is good or any of that stuff. Just listen to the sound of it without assumptions or judgements.

Bob - you'll have to start spending a little less time in Buddhist Sunday School.

Actually, I would guess that what you're saying is kind of like a ballplayer being in the 'zone' - no thinking, no judgement, no 'back seat driver - only THIS...only Shoot! Clearly, it's only when I think about what I'm doing that I screw up. So, on that level, I hear you.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 3:55 pm    

No one wants to do a "bad" job. I've found that if I relax and go with the flow everything seems to work out. But then I'm a glutton for punishment and whatever song it is I'll do something, even if I've never heard it before. I think that's the difference between a "true musician" and a player. Many don't take that attitude but that's the way I've always approached it.
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 4:51 am    

I guess this is what I do for a living. You have to be able to say. "Yes, I love it, but the singer was flat at the end of the chorus,and there was a dodgy rhyme in the lyics of the verse"
Alternatively I sometimes say "It's technically perfect but I don't like it- it's got no soul"
All you need it to decide what the criteria are for pitch, timing, harmony etc. then compare what you hear with what you want to hear. You can't usually do this while you are playing, but when you hear a playback it will scream at you. Come on, how many times have you played a classy slow glissando, (you thought) until you heard the playback when after a fraction of a second you are shouting "get to the note man!" to yourself?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 3:09 pm    

Music without emotion is kinda like "painting by the numbers". Sure, you recognize the "image", but there's little appeal...except to the one who took the time to do it.

Art appeals to the soul, while all else appeals only to the mind. Computer programs have been written to create music (songs), But nobody cared...for them, or about them.
Dennis Scoville

Indiana
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 5:07 pm    

When playing on stage have any of you guys ever "got lost" in a song? I don't mean losing your place in the music, but rather getting so far into the song, the band, and the steel, that you sort lose yourself. For me those are the best moments.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2001 10:23 pm    

Dennis,
Thats what I'm talkng about ! When I don't sit there judging myself or the people around me I find myself in that spot way more often. Its a good feeling.

Bob
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 3:00 am    

I sometimes get this feeling playing drums with my band. I always thought that this is the best thing that can happen to me on stage. Kind of reward for the hard work in the rehearsal rooms.
Indeed, this can not happen if your are always thinking about the things you or the other do on stage.

------------------
martin abend my homepage chicotarde@web.de
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe

Dennis Scoville

Indiana
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 10:02 am    

Bob & Martin,

One thing I've found to help me get into that musical place we're talking about is meditation. Regular meditation can provide some real skills in being able clear your mind of things that can get between you and the music.

I'm not much for hocus-pocus or California-style pop psychology, but many years ago I found a book that became my basis for meditating. It's call the Relaxation Response, and it's still in print. It was written by an M.D. named Herbert Benson, who was the dean of Harvard medical school at the time he wrote the book. It's straight forward instruction, with some science, and written well, and I recommend it highly -- for more than just music.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 11:43 am    

Medication helps me, too. Also, drinking lots of water keeps the brain well lubed. Dehydration affects mental acuity - the synapses don't fire so well when they're dry.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2001 4:09 pm    

Medication? Care to elaborate on that?
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2001 12:21 am    

Now, i'm gettin into this post !
Drinkin water to keep my brain lubed sounds easy enough. Thanks for the tip b0b !
Meditation is also of great help, but which type to use there are so many.
i'm just gonna try to relax before + during playin'....
Steel in balance...
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2001 2:09 am    

Wow b0b,
that's the funniest typing error I've seen in a while...

Dennis,
I coulnd't be farther from things like Meditation but I was always interested in things like that. My main question is: when do you meditate? Shortly before a gig? Or while playing? Is this just about being able to concentrate more or is there more?

------------------

Dennis Scoville

Indiana
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2001 5:39 am    

Martin,

Nope, not before a gig. Although it might be interesting to try sometime. I try to get in two twenty minute sessions a day, when possible. One in the morning, and one after work. After you do it for a while you develop a skill for clearing your mind and focusing on one thing -- and this can carry over into times when you're not meditating.
BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2001 7:53 am    

I am able to clear my mine when I get some sleep,I am able to lubracate my brain with
alittle Jack Danial's if you please

------------------
BJ Bailey

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2001 12:22 pm    

Okay, now we can get to the real question.....does alcohol help your playing?
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2001 11:31 pm    

it is well known that Alcohol loosens ones inhibitions, but i don't think it's helps my playin'!
Steel straight
Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2001 1:03 pm    

My (limited) experience has been that alcohol usually only takes away from my playing. 1/2 of a beer before the 1st set and the rest of it on the first break is about the limit for relaxation without imparement. Caffienated pop and coffee are bad too. Not too much food beforehand, avoid dairy if you are going to sing. Good water, room temperature. These all help me find that "in the moment" place you are talking about, so long as I actually practice my steel enough beforehand! (gotta go practice now...)
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2001 1:08 pm    

Generally, the more alcohol that is consumed, the better the music sounds -- only to the consumer, that is.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2001 7:13 pm    

Here's what our band says to the audience, "The more we drink the better we play, and the more you drink the better we sound."
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2001 7:15 pm    

I'll agree with the latter of the two.
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2001 1:34 am    

I'm a smoker and I experienced that I'm absolutely unable to keep the time (I'm a drummer) for app. one hour after I had a cigarette. Anyone else had this problem with his steel-playing?
Somking something else than tobacco seems to increase this problem...

Dennis,
thanks for your explanation. I'll think I'll try it before I'll be gigging again with my band in summer.

------------------