| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SHeDAISY - WHAT THE HE**!!!!!
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 7:04 pm    

Labels commonly seen in a record store....

Country
Folk
Pop
Rock
R&B
Soul
Jazz
Classical
New Age
Easy Listening
Alternative.....

Question: "Alternative" to what?
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 7:17 pm    

Quote:
Question: "Alternative" to what?

To "all of the above" ?

Personally, I've always thought that Country was pretty "easy listening".

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 4:34 am    

Leave 'em alone; they'll go away. Best, Boomer
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 5:03 am    

AMEN

------------------
CJC

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 5:13 am    

Well, All the labels won't sign people that really are country, because they say they are "too country"! That's a bunch of bull! You know there's a serious problem when they start thinking like that!!!

------------------
Abraham - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.
My Website!

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 7:01 am    

Quote:
Well, All the labels won't sign people that really are country, because they say they are "too country"! That's a bunch of bull! You know there's a serious problem when they start thinking like that!!!

And what about Kenny Chesney and Darryl Worley (to name a couple)? Not country?

Unfortunately, the music business is about money (like any business). The labels sign who they THINK will make them the most profit. Do they screw up and choose the wrong acts? Of course they do. Witness the plethora of acts that are no longer around. But not every country act has "made it", either.

If people REALLY believe there's money to be made signing more country acts into the business, then there's always the opportunity for a group of entrepreneurs to go out and form their own label, and bring country back to country.

The problem is, who's willing to put up any serious money towards a project like that? Who would actually run the business? I'm not sure I'd even invest $1,000 in such a venture (maybe). Music is a risky business.

------------------

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 8:03 am    

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 8:56 am    

Are you offering to put in another $1,000 Theresa?

Just to throw out a couple more names: Braid Paisley and Tracey Lawrence.

Of course, Alan Jackson and George Strait go without saying.

------------------

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 2:32 pm    

Kenny Chesney, Tracy Lawrence, and especially Brad Paisley ain't Country! Sure, they aren't as pop as Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, and SHeDAISY, but they ain't really country! I just don't what to do! People think that they are country, but they are not! I just don't know how you can't see that! And, I've never even heard of Darryl Worley!

------------------
Abraham - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.
My Website!

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 2:45 pm    

Quote:
Kenny Chesney, Tracy Lawrence, and especially Brad Paisley ain't Country!

Now THAT's almost heretical! Darryl Worley is new to the scene.

Who DO you think is country? It might be surprising (if it were possible) to get those were around in the days of Bob Wills to comment if they think YOUR FAVORITES are country or not.

Oh, and I hope the tone of my messages doesn't sound like I'm mad or anything. That's hardly the case.

I think you'll find that your definition of "country" is FAR too narrow (some would argue that even mine is, go figure), and "country" would die because of a lack of interest. Of course, you'd probably just counter that country has died. And, you'd be right, given your definition, I suppose.

Country or not, do you LIKE Kenny Chesney's latest single "I Lost It", or Brad Paisley's "Didn't Have To Be" ? I absolutely love those songs, and find it hard to imagine that a country music fan wouldn't like them. Just curious.

------------------

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 4:13 pm    

First of all, yes I do like the songs, but that don't make them country! And believe me, I'm way past Bob Wills, Even though, a good definition of Country. George Jones is no doubt about it country, along with Bill Anderson, and George Strait and Alan Jackson is mostly country!

------------------
My Website!

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 6:45 pm    

Quote:
First of all, yes I do like the songs, but that don't make them country!

OK, I guess there's hope for you yet! (just kidding).

I take it you're dreaming of Nashville (based on your website). Do you intend to just sing, or are you going to attempt to play PSG and sing at the same time? THAT would be quite an accomplishment.

And, it would be quite a "gimmick", too - meaning, something original that people would notice. ("Gimmick" has such negative connotations, and I don't mean it that way). And, face it, having a "gimmick" really does help to get a start in the music business. After that wears off (an album or two), then it's all up to you, of course.

And, somewhere above you said something about "sex sells". Well, I wouldn't go quite THAT far, but today music is definitely about ENTERTAINMENT, and being relatively good-looking is practically a requiremen. Especially with videos and all. So, don't be afraid to use whatever you have (good looks, etc.) to help out in your career. (Just keep it from being TOO tacky ). It doesn't hurt to have the girls swooning over you, ya know. Just remember to keep family first, and don't give in to temptations along the way.

------------------

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 8:05 pm    

Hey! First, It's impossible to sing and play PSG at the same time, cause when you went to hit the knee levers, your voice would crack (Just a little humor)! Anyway, if you've seen Faith Hill's "Breathe" Video, all she's wearing is a blanket! That's pretty tacky! And, I agree, looking good is definetly a requirement, but then I pull up SHeDAISY on CMT and GAC doing a live thing, and they are wearing holey jeans and a sweater! That's even more tacky! How can you expect someone to respect you if you dress like a hobo! I mean you should have a nice shirt, and some nice jeans and stuff, and the ladies should wear that or a dress or something! George Jones and Loretta Lynn are the only ones that have stood by the REAL country over the years! George Strait and Alan Jackson are really great, and they do great great country, but Once in a while, they do kind of a modern sounding thing, which I'd rather have that than Faith Hill say "I can Breathe" with only a silk blanket to cover her! When I see the videos and hear them, their notes are on pitch, but at the awards show, ALL of them are off! I was watching an awards show while back, and ALL of them were off pitch, except Billy Gilman, George Strait, and Alan Jackson! That's pathetic! Dang, that's pathetic! They got them pitch machines now, so a hobo off the street could sound like an angel! That's unethical to me!

------------------
My Website!

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 9:08 pm    

Well, I can honsestly say that "Breathe" didn't do much for me, and neither did the video. (Then again, I'm not much of a video person, really). I may be the only male in the world unaffected by that video, though.

I prefer the "old Faith", back when she was more country. She's gone a little too pop for me, recently. But, I can't really blame her for that -- I'm sure the monetary rewards of doing that have been quite substantial. And, I presume she enjoys doing it.

Don't even get me started on the whole "dressing up" thing. We FINALLY got to start wearing "polo" style shirts at work. Whoever invented the necktie should be strung up and hung. (I work in Houston, TX -- coats ties are SO ridiculous down here, esp. in the summer).

I kinda like The Wilkinsons -- they wear what they want at concerts. Amanda's into the fashion thing, but not Tyler or Steve.

As far as the singing on-key. I don't know how prevalent the pitch-machines are (for those performers, or any others). Presumably it's used when needed, though. I will say this: many singers have very hard time staying on pitch when they don't have a good monitor setup. I think in awards shows that the sound-check and monitor setup is often rushed for most of the participants. I've just seen too much variation in The Wilkinsons at different venues. When they don't get to use their personal earphone monitors, they generally do worse -- except on the acoustic sets, where they can hear themselves better due to the band not playing. From personal experience from karaoke, too, I know that what you hear in the monitor mix can have a dramatic effect on how on-key you stay.

------------------

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 2:34 pm    

I finally got to hear "the She Daisys"And I now know where the term "you got to be SH***NG me came from...I am going to rush out and by the CD..Yeh right PS it would take a hell of a lot more then Steeel Guitars to make this crap country....JMHFO..

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12 January 2001 at 02:37 PM.]

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 3:25 pm    

I used to listen to Faith all the time, and I loved that she was a little old country and a little new! Now, them days are gone! WHY? My mom thinks they've got all the fans in country that they can recieve, so they try and go for the other side! Who knows!

------------------
My Website!

Wayne Wallett

Shermans Dale, PA USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 7:16 pm    

Abraham....you are truely wise beyond your years. Took me 30 yrs to get where you are. Keep your head on straight and you should do alright.
Wayne Wallett
Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 10:28 am    

Thanks for the kind words Wayne! I appreciate it! I believe in standing up for what you believe in, but I also know when to quit While your ahead! So, This will be the last post that I write! Good Luck, and have fun!

------------------
My Website!

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 11:10 pm    

To repeat a comment I made last year regarding SheDaisy: "SheCrap-o"

I think you make a hormone by not paying her...
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 7:42 am    

Ive had Steel Players that sing harmony (Jim Smith,Jim Roule)and pretty good too.And I have seen a couple of players that sing and play ..I always thought it pretty amazing..

------------------
CJC

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 8:51 am    

Quote:
but I also know when to quit While your ahead! So, This will be the last post that I write!

Darn. I thought that I was ahead.

Oh, BTW. Darryl Worley's single is "Good Day to Run". You've probably heard it.

Another nice song out right now with some good steel parts in it is "But For The Grace of God" by Keith Urban.

------------------

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 3:29 pm    

David,
I should stop while I'm ahead too! Paul happens to be on all three of these artists that's mentioned
I don't think it's crap, but I'm just a sister. Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 16 January 2001 at 04:07 PM.]

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 8:40 am    

Theresa, you're not "just" a sister. I'm sure Paul and Brian truly appreciate your support. Even if they don't tell ya too often.

I'm starting to think I can actually recognize Paul's playing on songs now. Of course, since he's on so many, I could just be getting lucky guesses.

Do you know if he plays on Kenney Chesney's "I Lost It" ?

There's just something about Paul's playing that brings life into a country song. Or a not-so-country song, depending on one's point of view.

Of course, other fine PSG players bring that life to songs, too. Maybe it's just putting a little country "dressing" on a not-so-country song sometimes, but it makes all the difference in the world to me.

I guess what I'm saying, in a way, is that I'd rather listen to pop/country than pop/rock any day of the week.

Which leads to an interseting question: Is there really "pop" music, in and of itself? Or is it always associated with other music: pop/rock, pop/country, pop/R&B ??

------------------

Recluse

Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 2:11 pm    

It's apparent that the Britany Spheres syndrome has invaded Nashville. We now have "Slut-Country" ugh
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 2:26 pm    

I don't find it hard to recognize Pauls playing on the releases now as he is probably the main man on all the new sessions.I just would like to hear more of what he really can do vs. what producers feel is sufficient. However give credit where it is due not many have the versitility to put out what they want today...

------------------
CJC