| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Gray...anyone listening?
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 6:06 am    

David Gray's latest album, "White Ladder" is fantastic. I'm a bigger fan of his first album, "A Century Ends." This is NOT country music. But the thing about his new album is he uses chord progressions that, in my opinion, are ripe for steel guitar. There is no steel on the album. I'm thinking Greg Leisz would have worked wonders on Gray's tracks.

Has anyone else heard the "White Ladder" album? Do you agree?
James Bissaillon

Omaha, NE, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 5:50 am    

Chris,
No, I'm not familiar with any of David Gray's albums, but after seeing him (on Conan O'brian I think) I want to check it out.

James
Matt Hutchinson

London, UK
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 5:37 am    

David Gray is doing big business over here in the UK at the moment thanks to the track 'Babylon' from the new album getting LOADS of airplay. He's been around for a while now (I saw him in 92/93 sometime) & has been selling loads in Ireland, but until recently has been a relative unknown.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 5:39 pm    

I'm listening to him as I write this post. I downloaded a few of his tunes from Naptser. Since I heard Babylon, I had to hear more. I like him very much.
Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 7:24 pm    

You're right Matt , he's very popular over here indeed , and Chris I agree with you , I would love to hear some steel in his songs .
Ingo .
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 6:36 am    

I saw David Gray a few months ago at Schuba's, a tiny nightclub in Chicago. The place can't hold more than 150 people, if that many. I was right up at the stage, and his band absolutely rocked.

I was lucky to see this show, as he started playing much larger venues after that. Now he's hitting the latenight circuit, having played Leno, Conan O'brien, and SNL. I don't think I'll have the opportunity to see him up that close again.

The record company seems to be grooming him well, (with the help of Dave Matthews), but I think his music is a little too intelligent for the relatively mindless American pop fans. I hope they prove me wrong; he deserves his success. I've heard he's doing really well in the UK.

Great tunes on this latest album, but as I said when I first posted, his first album is the real winner. More acoustic and raw, showcasing songwriting over production. Pick it up.

[This message was edited by Chris Walke on 16 January 2001 at 06:37 AM.]

Matt Hutchinson

London, UK
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 8:39 am    

Is that the album with 'Shine' on it? I saw him on a UK tour for that album when it came out (playing solo in those days) and thought his voice was incredible.
Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 2:44 pm    

David who? j/k

------------------
Abraham - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.
My Website!

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 7:07 am    

Lead off track from Century Ends is Shine.