| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Little Roy Wiggins
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 5:38 am    

Mr.Wiggins defined the sound that I love.He is Mr.Steel Guitar.Did you ever see him perform?What stories do you remember about him?He will always be number one to me.
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 5:57 am    

And can someone recommend some albums? I know his name but not his music. Is there anything on cd?
Robert Williams

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 6:20 pm    

Recordings by "Little" Roy are harder to find than hens teeth and Scotty [Scotty's in
St. Louis] tells me that there will be no more available when the supply is gone. Other than the "Memory Time" album he cut in the late 70s or early 80s there is very little and Scotty would be your best chance of finding anything by him. There is a video out also. Again, contact Scotty.
The best way to really hear Roy is to buy old Eddy Arnold records and some by George Morgan such as "Mr. Ting a ling" and " It's just a red rose from the blue side of town".
Good luck, he's my favorite too and I did see him with Eddy Arnold in person and met him. He's been the inspiration of many.
Bob Williams...
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 8:44 pm    

Little Roy changed the "dobro" rapid fire trill to a nice mellow "ting a ling". It was at Eddy's suggestion in the middle 40's when he hired Little Roy. Eddy wanted a more mellow sound rather than the "Oswald" type hillbilly sound.

Little Roy did it and it manifested itself on just about every record Eddy ever made on his rise to fame. In later years, Eddy turned his back on what "brung him to the dance" and not only got rid of his guitar but Little Roy as well, and substituted strings instead. Many many of his loyal fans never forgave him for this.

Roy did not make too many Albums. So aquiring old Eddy Arnold albums*, as has been suggested, is the best way to hear Little Roy's incredibly smooth, mellow and "right on key" playing.

Some players were critical of Littly Roy, saying his playing was "too simple". The buying public didn't think so and even identified Eddy Arnold often referencing the "Tingle a ling" sound of Roy. For many of us, we felt Roy took the steel to a melody level heretofore unknown. Most other players of the day ad-libbed more than they played melody.

Only one other player typified the art of clean, pure melody playing like Little Roy and that was of course Jerry Byrd.

May God rest Little Roy's soul,

carl

* note: be careful on purchasing "Original Hits" by Eddy Arnold. Many of them have the steel guitar covered over with strings instead. IMHO, a travesty indeed!!
Bill R. Baker

Clinton, MS USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 6:16 am    

At the time of Roy's death he was working on
a book about his life. I have had email from
his daughter and she tells me that plans are
continuing for publication and may be out
this year. I hope so. I know she will inform
us through the Forum.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 7:00 am    

Roy may have recorded more later, or re-released it again. But in 71/72, the only one he had was a Starday album that he had repressed and we sold at his "Music City" music store. That album had been released years before on the Starday label, before Starday went out of business. I don't remember what the title of the album is.
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 9:12 am    

There's an album called "Eddy Arnold - the Early Hits of the Tennessee Plowboy" that features 25 songs (mono from 1944-1949) that has classic Little Roy all over it - Roy is on 23 cuts with Eddie McMullen listed as the steel player on 2 cuts - "To My Sorrow" and "It's a Sin".

I checked at CDNow and [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=72070349/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=ARNOLD*EDDY/itemid=1173258]it is listed and available.[/url]

Also, get the most recent issue of the Journal of Country Music (Vol. 21 no. 2) as it has a great article on Little Roy Wiggins.

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 06 January 2001 at 09:15 AM.]

Brian Nelson

St.Paul
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 10:32 am    

Bear Family Records of Germany has a great box set of Eddy Arnold available. 5 cd's! I think Roy plays on almost every song.
Dean Neeley

Aiken,SC USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 6:12 am    

You can download alot of George Morgan songs
off Napster. I think Little Roy is playing on
some of them.

Dean
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 10:17 am    

I was fortunate to call "Little" Roy my friend. We had the ocassion to pick on the same shows many times, and the most fun was when I was able to play bass behind Roy. He was a barrel (no pun intended) of laughs and information when on stage.

The neat part was, he was the same off stage. Always taking the time to talk to whoever approached him.

I sincerely treasure the conversations we had and the time spent together on stage. Why he even made me feel like I actually knew how to play this instrument we all love.

I miss him.
Bill Ferguson

------------------
"Stop worrying about what makes a steel work and concentrate on how YOU make it sound"
Andy Alford

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 5:15 am    

Who else loves Little Roy?
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 6:57 pm    

I do.
Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 7:02 pm    

Roy was my first inspiration to play steel. He was also an entertainer as well as a player when I saw him at steel guitar shows.

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 6:13 am    

So does http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rockin.paul/Roy%20Wiggins.htm