| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country Singer needs advice
D-man

Monroe Township, NJ and Lititz, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 10:37 pm    

Hello All,

Wondering if I can get tips from you guys. I'm a young country singer and I'm just now getting serious about performing. I was wondering what equipment you might recommend for vocals....microphone, sound boards, etc..
I'm not familiar with this equipment and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Look out NJ, PA, NY...There's a new singer on the scene!
Thanks guys, Dennis DeSanctis, NJ
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 1:47 am    

Hey Dennis,

I use ElectroVoice microphones for vocals in my band. We all use EV 767's. But if you are looking for an all purpose tough as nails mic, look at the Shure SM58. A very reliable mic at a fair price. As far as P.A. equipment goes what type of venues are you gona be singing at? Our system is kinda small. We have a Peavey mixer, Allesis Quadraverb effects, compressor and EQ's and two power amps. 600 watts to the mains, 400 watts to the monitors.
We are using Audio Centron 15's and horns on stands for mains and 4 Crate SM12 monitors.
We don't play very big places though. The clubs we play at avarage 250 seating capicity or so. When ever we play larger gigs we rent the big stuff. I've owned bigger P.A. rigs and found smaller is better and easier to move. After a few years you get tired of 2 hour set ups and tear downs. pretty soon if you add it up your not making any money. Of course these days ya don't make very much money anyway. You gotta sing cause you love to. Or play cause you love to for that matter. Unless you got a big record company backing you up. Then you have somebody to buy, set up, and run the equipment for you. Good luck!!!

See us on the Web: http://whirlwind_band.tripod.com

------------------
Jimmy The Kid

MCI D10 8+5 / Sessions 400
B-Bender Telecaster / Bandit 112
Digitec RP3 Effects
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 7:21 am    

Like Jim, I like the EV microphones. Can't remember off-hand which model I have at home, though. However, the "standard" really seems to be the Shure SM58. Some sound good with the SM57, too. You really just have to try them out to see what works best with your vocal style and mic-handling.

As far as mixers, be sure to check out Mackie. Great stuff, very quiet, reasonably priced.

You'll definitely need a compressor -- I've got an Alesis.

People really rave about the Lexicon reverbs. Be sure to check them out.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

D-man

Monroe Township, NJ and Lititz, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 10:21 am    

Thank you both very much for your reply.

I have no venues lined up, but I do know a few that would accept...most of them require you to bring everything. I'm still in the process of getting a band together, very tough to do in NJ, not much country music around here. If anyone is in NJ and wants a demo just let me know!!

Thanks again for your insight fella's.
Dennis
Ron Shepard

Easthampton, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 2:22 pm    

D-man, make sure you have a steel player in the band, and let em play alot.
Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 12:03 am    

As a singer, and not a player, my sound is very important to me. I have discovered over the years that every mic is different for every voice. The one that works best for ME is the Audio Technica. It uses a battery. The thing I like about it, is that is doesn't thin out on my highs, or muddy up on my lows. I have a deep lower register which is lost on a lot of mics. I went to the music store to buy a back up mic, tried every one on the tree, and bought another audio technica. Also, the way you set up your PA has a good deal to do with how you come across vocally.
Just a couple of ideas from a singer.

------------------
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 6:40 am    

If you are starting out, don't worry about mikes, etc. Just concentrate on the singing and developing a stage presence. Almost every place you go to "sit in" or sing will have mikes, etc. Many will not want your "personal" mike and take it as a put down if you don't want to use their mikes.
John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 9:45 am    

Don't forget a 'feedback eliminator'. I wouldn't leave home without it.

John Paul Jones
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 7:55 am    

I still have sure SM58's that I purchased about 1974..They have taken a beating and keep on ticking..For recording or stage they are still the most popular in the cordless variety now....I can't tell you how many times these mikes have been dropped left in the cold and survived numerous upgrades of PA equipment...57s don't have the ball end and can pop more..I use to think JBL built speakers were the cats meow until I went to double stack Bose 4 per side 901s driven by Peavey 800s and monitored by same.I have had so many stereo Boards that I would say there are probably better ones now since I quit playing in 91..

------------------
CJC