| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it just me, or is this really patently offensive?
Mike Bieber

New York, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 9:30 am    

The Beatles are bigger than Jesus
Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 4:13 pm    

OK, I see! When I first came on here when it got back up, it didn't have much in the folders, but I see now it was just that it was shuffled back since nothing happened in those days!

------------------
Abraham - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.
My Website!

FIONA TOMANY

ISLE OF CUMBRAE SCOTLAND
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2001 5:22 pm    

Hearing you like to hear god play the pedal steel reminds me of a dreafull joke Jeff Nemwan told me about the guy who got to heaven with an acordian stuck on his foot.He asked St Peter what this stuck to my foot for St Peter Replied. you just made it son
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 6:17 am    

Fiona -- I like that joke. It reminds me of another accordian joke (I play in a polka band with an accordian player)
http://www.polkaband.com

Q: What's the meaning of perfect pitch?

A: That's when you toss the banjo just exactly right, so that it lands on top of the accordian perfectly in the dumpster!

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
www.franchise-yourself.com
1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6)

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 7:33 am    

Let's bear one thing in mind. This guitar is not, and never will be for sale. Is is a museum piece, and it falls into the same catagory as any other religious work of art. The artist simply used a guitar body for his or her canvas.

Gibson has produced a number of such "art guitars" in recent years. These include Arch tops, flat tops, and electric guitars. I've seen some (on display at the NAMM show) that I thought were absolutely beautiful. I've also seen some that I thought were gaudy and overdone that I didn't care for.

Whether this guitar falls into the beautiful or overdone catagory is a matter of personal taste. Beauty is after all in the eye of the beholder.

But this is not some marketing ploy nor some attempt to make a lot of money by exploiting religion. It is art, and should be looked at as such.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2001 2:46 pm    

AMEN !
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 7:30 am    

Quote:
This guitar is not, and never will be for sale. Is is a museum piece, and it falls into the same catagory as any other religious work of art. The artist simply used a guitar body for his or her canvas.

Quote:
Afterwards, the instrument will remain in Gibson Guitar Corp.'s permanent collection of unique and treasured instruments.

...note that it isn't going into the Louvre or the Metropolitan Museum of Art...

Mike, you are so full of baloney..again...this isn't a generic guitar, it's a Gibson guitar, says Gibson all over it, the "work of art" is on Gibson's website, not in the Arts section of the New York Times, it is going in Gibson's own collection, it is a self-serving advertisement, plain and simple...

...you still haven't told me, why is it "art" because the "canvas" is a guitar instead of a refrigerator....a guitar which, by itself is not special, is no more remarkable than a piece of blank canvas..
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 7:08 pm    

Please---take a moment to crack your bible and check the third commandment (ok, Exodus 20:7 ) And then blow your nose and get that stuff out of your head that you probably have been taught all your life, that it's referring to swearing and cuss words. Wrong !!!
(getting down off my box and leaving now )*LOL*
John Farrell

Lincolnton, NC USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 12:54 pm    

Pat -

I think perhaps the difference is that the artist who made it, or anyone else for that matter, can use the guitar in fairly traditional ways to praise God. I have a hard time understanding how one might do that with a refrigerator, popcorn or beer. If you can, more power to you.

It doesn't strike me as much of a commercial endeavor, although sincerity might have dictated a reduction in the size of the Gibson Logo, but what the heck...it's pretty interesting to look at.

John Farrell
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 1:30 pm    

Quote:
...especially one as powerful and often imposive as Christianity

"Imposive?"

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 3:15 pm    

Herb - I think he said OFTEN imposive, but not necessarily ALWAYS imposive.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 3:38 pm    

Sounds like a lot of you guys would get a kick out of the tattoo sported by a certain prominant country musician here in L.A. It's a full shoulder and arm piece featuring a splendid renaissance rendition of a radiant Jesus dragging a cross-whilst surrounded by a bevy of bare breasted angels-all done in pastels with a lot of single needle detail work.A thing of friggin' beauty,actually.It doesn't seem to offend anyone... -MJ-
Mike Bieber

New York, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 12:49 pm    

Todd has the last laugh, since "imposive" isn't in the dictionary. I meant pervasive. That's it. Is in, "in your face, muthaf***a".
Ya know? God is everywhere, like, go away already!
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 2:09 pm    

Whoops!...I'm outta here....

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 12 January 2001 at 02:10 PM.]

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 4:07 pm    

quote:
Pat -
I think perhaps the difference is that the artist who made it, or anyone else for that matter, can use the guitar in fairly traditional ways to praise God. I have a hard time understanding how one might do that with a refrigerator, popcorn or beer. If you can, more power to you.

...well, now, that's a good and honest answer. I just think they got carried away with the admonition not to hide their light under a bushel basket, and crossed the line into "tacky", as the original question inferred..

MJ, I'd pay money to see that tatoo, as long as those bare-breasted angels looked like Charlie's Angels and not like Della Reese...

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 1:37 am    

Pat, does Kenore or Maytag have a tradition of making "art refrigerators?" Do they have a museum to display such works? Gibson has a long history of building ornate one-of-a-kind guitars for display purposes. This is one of many such "art guitars" that Gibson had produced over the years. The only difference is that this one has a Christian theme.

I agree that to exploit religion to sell a product (or to elect a political cantidate for that matter) is sleasy, and if that is what Gibson was trying to do, then there is truly reason to be offended.

But I don't think their intention was to do that. I don't think they built the guitar to suggest that Christians should buy Gibson guitars. I think they wanted to make a display guitar with a religious theme. I see nothing wrong with the idea, just as I see nothing wrong with a religious painting or piece of music.
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 10:44 am    

Quote:
I think they wanted to make a display guitar..

...I think so too...
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 11:05 am    

Many times I've seen people who say they are "Pickin' for the Lord", or "Driving my truck for Jesus", etc. etc.
Last year I attended a backwoods folk festival where one of the performers' (?)
acts centred around "breaking watermelons over my head for Jesus".

*shrug* No, I don't get it. But, to each his own. Doesn't bother me. I know it would go over better in the States than it would here.
-John
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 4:12 pm    

I can't resist posting a quote from the Gibson website:

"On display at the Gibson Bluegrass Showcase (at Opry Mills) through January, the completely hand-crafted "Birth of Christ" guitar is sure to inspire even the least musical of Holiday shoppers."

Inspire, indeed! The question is, in what way will this inspiration manafest itself?