| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Grand Ole Opry's future?
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 3:17 am    

This is an interesting thread, if a touch despairing, but I see it as part of a bigger picture which is, if anything even worse outside country music. It's all down to ageism. Musicians have to be young, pretty (men too) and new.
If you are old enough to be any good, you are too old for the thirty-odd year old teenagers who decide who gets the breaks.So you won't get on TV, so the couch potato public will never see you.
However there are more of us than there are of them, so time will tell.
Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 6:12 pm    

I would have loved to have seen Jimi Hendrix at the OPRY. Can you just Imagine him doing The Wabash Cannon Ball with Roy Acuff. Man that would have been a site to see!
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 6:29 pm    

OK, OK,
So, now that we've established beyond doubt that the current management are minion-of-Satan baby-killing terrorists, (or worse, foreigners!) can we move on ?
How would you change it for the better? Joe ?
-John
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2000 7:47 pm    

By recruiting Gene watson ,mark chestnut ,David Ball,ect

------------------
CJC

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 6:04 am    

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 6:29 am    

This maybe my last post. As alot of you know I'm married to Gregg Galbraith. He was invited to the opry last night with a steeler Bob Ricker and wife. He sat out in the audience and enjoyed the show.
Martina, Chely Wright, Phil Vasser and of course some of the standard legends performed.
I regret missing Gregg's face. He said,"It was great"! The singers and musicianship was outstanding. The opry is in good hands

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 10 December 2000 at 06:52 AM.]

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 8:51 am    

The Opry would've been better off last night if Gregg had been playing on it instead of watching it. Best, Boomer
KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 10:20 am    

(some of my thoughts as I watched part of the G.G.O.)All I saw was that Phil Vasser---folky-pop sh*t that has nothing to do with country music. I don't care what anybody says, country (or any type of music) has to be kept with in certain guide lines to be country music. If you don't believe that you're part of the problem. Don't tell me it's my opinion, it's the opinion of the small amount of people who really like and care about the future of country music. If you don't like country music , fine, but why destroy it or try to discredit it for the others who do?

All this talk about -things change- well how about changing your mind and help country music before it's a side note in american music history.

I'm really feed up with this rockin-roll hippy sh*t. If you don't want to play country, go back to wherever you came from and leave Nashville and country music alone.

Kevin
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2000 10:42 am    

Please re-read my earlier post:

Country Music isn't going to die.....
It's just going back the the Mother Church.

Gaylord can have the "NEW" Opry House for it's Acid Rock and New Country @#$% and ShorpyMills,(which, in a few years, like all the other malls, will cater only to the local patrons) to continue the seperation of the two fields of music.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2000 5:28 am    

quote"The Opry is in good hands"... ...I don't know if the Gaylords can be considered good hands,especially since everything thet have to do with country music gets ashcanned....Buchanan and Fisher so far have been trying new things..If these new things are being tried at the expense of long standing dedicated members that's not in good hands...I have no objection to newer Artist being guest if the members are not stepped on or removed from their spots...It should be their choice when they want to step aside...It's more then rumors that Opryland productions has new Ideas for Opryland complex........

------------------
CJC