| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Grand Ole Opry's future?
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 4:00 am    

Theresa,Last Sept before and after Scotty's.If your trying to tell me there is plenty of Country music in Nashville,besides the Pallace and The Station inn and the Tip Jar Clubs then I guess my friends just don't want to work..

------------------
CJC

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2000 2:27 pm    

Theresa.....

Quote:
I think Branson is a Show Vegas format

When was the last time you went to the "Grand Ole' Opry" ?

It's all stage and lights now too !! Not quite as bad as some of the road shows I seen, like Brooks & Dunn, Garth Brooks, and other assorted acts, but still the only difference is instead of promoteing/hawking the tapes/CD's, there is too many commericals.

Not to mention that most of the newbies cain't carry a tune in two buckets.

Give me the Merle hags, George Jones, and real country singers instead of the punk/rock/acid supposely "New Country" stuff.

Again, my 2cents worth

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 23 November 2000 at 02:29 PM.]

BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 12:27 am    

I like the idear about the segregation of the to typ's of music,for which I have taken apart of for sometime.

Aventually something will have to give.

There are thousands of entertainers that sing real country ,that need to be heard.

I had never heard of Dale Watson,ti'll I got on the forum.
When I heard of the steel backup that was being used ,I gave it a try and order a tape.

Tonight the wife ask what I wanted for Christmas,I gave her the list of Dale's intire tape selection.

Some say the old want support? They will if there a product worth buying.

Yea Theresa,I prefer the segregation,cause I could care less about modern Nashburg music.
I'll leave that to you and Twain

------------------
BJ Bailey

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 5:10 am    

This comment has nothing to do with the types of music being performed on the Opry.

It used to be, one of the amazing things about the opry was the constant state of "confusion" that seemed to be happening on the stage with musicians coming and going. That was one of the things that made the Opry, "The Grand Ole Uproar". Musicians were as visible as the "star" singer. The steel guitar in particular was always front row and visible, directly behind the singers.

With the "new" opry we now have the distraction of the video screen and the staff band has been relegated to a not as prominent place on the stage. In an attempt to "clean up" the stage it now appears to be a less "homey" atmosphere. I have not been to the Opry since all the stage changes and only see it on TV, but it seems that it is now no different than a package show with several acts rather than the more comfortable atmosphere it used to project.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 7:28 am    

Another example of the "selling" of Pop music as Country..A couple of months ago I purchased a Don Henley (Former Eagle)CD called Inside Job..It's a great CD and It's getting plenty of play in this household..However it isn't Country it's great Pop..Recently I saw a video on CMT of Don singing a cut (his latest Single)For my wedding...On the CMT video you can hear a Steel Guitar and mastery of Paul Franklin..I do recommend this record even if it is just another add a steel and call it Country situation...The Steel version should make this a Grammy awarded song and get Country station airplay and more$$$$$..They did make a great song better by adding the steel background..However you won't see Don Henley becoming a member of the GOO or touring with any Nashville based package shows... Even if Don sings with country feeling...JMHO.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 24 November 2000 at 07:34 AM.]

Pat Jenkins

Abingdon, VA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 1:20 pm    

Why should I buy another album of today's "Hot, New Country". By tomorrow it will be yesterday's music and nothing more than the past. I should now throw out my Bach, Beethoven, Sinatra, Ellington and Armstrong albums, because they are yesterday's music. Good music will always good music, whether it was recorded yesterday or 50 years ago. Bad music will continue to be bad no matter how recently it was recorded. And if we were paying any attention at all, we would be listening to Porter's new album, which is loaded with some incredible country music. Just my two cents worth...maybe three cents worth. I do love this open forum...Pat
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2000 6:51 am    

Joe,
Thanks! Don also did a duet with Trisha Yearwood, "Walk away Joe"! He and the Eagles appeared on Travis Tritt's, "Taking it Easy"! Don can sing anything!

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 26 November 2000 at 06:53 AM.]

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 12:02 pm    

To complete the original title of this thread:
".....as we knew it,looks dim!"

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 1:21 pm    

I agree it looks grim for traditional.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 8:54 pm    

If and when it happens,that the Opry is done you can bet your sweet bippy that there will be a Gaylord in the wood pile..Same thing as the old saying..

------------------
CJC

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2000 3:54 pm    

I hate too use another space too bump this up ,"but". How about the future of Country Music yet alone the Grand ole Opry?..There are those that say it is in good hands.. But if the truth be known, Country music is now in the hands of Idiots who will bleed it until it no longer exist...

------------------
CJC

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2000 3:55 pm    

I hate too use another space too bump this up ,"but". How about the future of Country Music yet alone the Grand ole Opry?..There are those that say it is in good hands.. But if the truth be known, Country music is now in the hands of Idiots who will bleed it until it no longer exist...

------------------
CJC

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 10:35 am    

Actually, I can see the scenario of a seperate Opryland vs. Ryman thing happening. It's happening in the demographics of the record-buying public and I believe the traditional country music crowd is really only slightly larger (percentage-wise) than it was in the 70's and 80's. Why not offer two venues catering to both crowds? We seem to have a disparity in this forum of modern vs. trad., so it probably exists in the real world too, usually divided up amongst age groups.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 12:41 pm    

John you are probably on the right track. The true country music fan is very loyal, where the "today's country" fans are mostly here today some other form of music tomorrow.

Having a "traditional" country show at the Ryman would probably bring back the former crowds that didn't mind being on a two year waiting list to get tickets.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 3:40 pm    

I agree! Let's do it! Please move on! Theresa
Jim Vogan

Ohio City, Ohio 45874
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 9:20 am    

Today's country fan needs a WWF format. Stage footlights will no longer do it, I think it's an attention span thing myself.They want to see a guy come in on a wire, and break up his guitar when he is done. The powers that be wouldn't let them do traditional country music even if they wanted to. They don't want songs that last fifty years anymore. Country standards are a thing of the past. That's sad. I can't sing, but I can sing the old songs on my steel guitar. Beautiful melodys. I listen to WSM archives every night. BTW, I still drive a Model A Ford, and Jerry Byrd is my hero. Jim
BJ Bailey

Jackson Ms,Hinds
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 12:20 pm    

There stands the glass

Togather again

Is it wrong for loveing you

oh excuse me that was yesterday's program _

------------------
BJ Bailey

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2000 3:55 am    

Rumor or is it?...Opryland productions will produce a variety of shows at the Opry house begining in 2001....From Rock acts to major Pop.''Could be a posibility that the GOO will downsize to the RYMAN.....That wouldn't be so bad....

------------------
CJC

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2000 4:10 pm    

I'd love to see it come back to the Ryman. Besides,it would mean more money in the pocket of,former mayor of Nashville,the "honorable" Phil Bredesen,who,just happens to own all the Central Parking garages in town.or at least,has several fingers in the "pie". Between him & Gaylord,I can't decide who's worse. On "main event" days,in Nashville,they put,"No Parking" bags over the meters,so you HAVE TO park in one of the garages.Nashvile is one of the most "tow-happy" towns I've ever seen.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Ron

Hermiston, Oregon
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2000 5:04 pm    

I kind of like the idea of the ol Ryman and the new Orpland split.

I think If we ttook out Gay Lord out we would be best off. Most all of our new country artist started out with a GOOD OLD country song that one of our old stars made famous and made it a bigger hit now than before! What do they usely to then? Go pop!! They seme to forget what made them a star! Country was dead , all the old country radio stations were changet to rock Then what happened? Randy came on the sean and brought back the good old sound. He seems to have not strayed to far away.

Eddie arnold had one smooth voice Iloved him and all he did.

Iheard hin on nashvill now last and he could not hit a note right and i felt so bad for him but I went out and bought his latest record It wasent good but if he was to come around where I live I would go see him. That is what he opera is good for to let our older heroes have a place to play and we can see them.

Merle Hagg finely agread to play the Opera after all these years. Buy his latesed three cds If you want good country music!! I did!! Cabin in the hills ---Two old frends and the latest -- If I could onely fly!!!!!!!!!!!

RON Frazier
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2000 5:25 am    

Tow Smiley? Yep I do remember well when my vehicle was towed in front of Tootsies while we were upstairs,and I was thrilled with the free ride to the impound yard and when they gave me my truck with no towing charge..I guess it was nice to have some pull or the right name in those days......You could even hear some Country Music then...

------------------
CJC

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2000 7:22 am    

There will be a Opry in the future.It has and will evolve as time goes by.There was a time when there were no electric guitars,drums,or brass on the opry but along came ET and Marty Robbins.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2000 7:31 am    

Life in the big city!
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 5:12 am    

SJ;Thanks for posting that article it cuts to the chase..If the Opry goes then one can say "there goes the root of Country Music" . The root is dying because the wrong fertilizer (manure,s**T ect)is being applied to it...."the Gaylord brand" is likened to an "Agent Orange" which destroys everything it comes in contact with...

------------------
CJC

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 5 Dec 2000 5:54 am    

SJ unfortunately there are no strong voices left in the old Opry personell..If a leader can emerge it would have too be either GILL,Stuart,Jackson,Brooks one of the newer Artist..that won't happen yet until the doors start closing then and maybe only then will one come forward...don't count on it.When the Opry goes,Nashvilles music and tourist Industry will follow...Nashvilleians don't support it now...

------------------
CJC