| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning for lap steel with lever
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2003 12:36 am    

A friend of mine has a 6 string lap steel that has a lock down lever on it that changes the tuning. I haven't seen the guitar, but this is how he described it to me. The guitar is called a "Tone Master", that is what is on the headstock (it also says "English Electronics" on it). There is a lever that has "String Tone" written near it and also has C#, E and A, written next to the various positions. It also has " Rowe Industries Products" written on it somewhere. I think he said it was made in Clevland Ohio. What guage of strings would you use and what tuning would work with this guitar? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2003 7:15 am    

It's been a very long time, however; I believe I saw a similar type guitar years ago! To the best of my recallection and figuring, I believe the three tunings are A,E,and C#m. The guages would be about: 1st.-.015p, 2nd,-.018p, 3rd.-.022p, 4th.-.032w, 5th.-.038w, 6th.-.044w
A tuning=E E tuning=E C#mtuning=E These are strs. #1 to #6 (Hi-to-Lo)

------------------
“Big John” “Uh~” ƒƒ< wknsg®
Franklin, D–10 w/9 & 8
Fender, T–8 “The Custom”
Goodrich, 6a - Match Box
Peavey, Classic 50 – 212
Alesis, QuadraVerb+
Enhancer, E–LG http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2003 7:43 am    

Or, as an alternative, C6th, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Neutral and Reverse.
Bob Watson

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2003 6:13 pm    

John, I didn't understand your tunings, if you could spell out each tuning I would greatly appreciate it. I guess I mean like this, (low to high, or 6 to 1)E tuning = E,B,E,G#,B,E: etc. I assume that the lever just changes a few strings to become the new tuning. Thanks for the input. Andy, I think this guitar is an automatic with the shifter on the console.

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 27 July 2003 at 07:16 PM.]

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2003 5:08 am    

Bob,
I seen a guitar like this in the 80's. A guy came in downtown with it and had just bought it at Gruhns. Kind of like that Banjo thing where you flip this little lever and it changes the tuning. I've looked for one ever since. Ronnie Stoneman has that on two of her strings on her banjo. Her dad made them for her.
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2003 2:33 pm    

That's EXACTLY,like the first steel I ever saw! I don't remember the name of it but,if it says,"Rowe Industries" on it,it has to be a division of DeArmond.(or vice-versa) I,also,believe the tunings were "E/C#mi7th/A".

[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 28 July 2003 at 03:36 PM.]

John Bechtel

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 10:12 pm    

Bob; I assume that there is a (3) position lever on the outside edge of the bridge, if it's similar to what I've seen. I believe Bigsby may have offered this type of set-up also! If so, they were made to order with a choice of three compatable tunings for an (Cool string neck! However, I am not well versed on the matter and all I can do, in the way of suggesting how to tune it for (6) string perposes, and if these are indead the correct tunig variations; the closest I can figure would be #1-A tuning, #2-C#m tuning, #3-E-Maj. In that order or Reversed = #3,#2,#1. Since the changer works on a series of Cams, (similar to the Cam-Shaft in an Auto-Engine, From Lo to Hi would be: #1-A = E-A-E-A-C#-E
#2-C#m = E-B-E-G#-C#-E
#3-E-Maj. = E-B-E-G#-B-E
If #2 is actually C#m7, well; I'm stumped, because I can't figure how to get a D note without losing the E on the 4th. str.!
Well, here's another 'brain-storm' I just had! Lets make the three (3) tunings: #1-A, #2-C#m7, #3-E7
Now we have it made! Lo to Hi:
#1-A = A-C#-E-A-C#-E
#2-C#m7 = B-D-E-G#-C#-E
#3-E7 = B-D-E-G#-B-E
The first thing you must ckeck-out is to find what strings are retuned with each position of the lever. If the lever activates strings 2,3,5,6; I believe you've got it made in the shade! If the lever (in any position) changes the pitch of strings 1 or 4, then it is set-up for other tunings! I hope this helps! It's kinda like the blind trying to lead the blind! Good Luck,

------------------
Franklin, D–10 w/9 & 8
Fender, T–8 “The Custom”
Peavey, Classic 50 – 212
John Bechtel

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 11:28 pm    

Bob; I also think it might be a good idea to change the string gauges slightly! 6th-.042w, 5th-.036w, 4th-.030w, 3rd-.022p, 2nd-.017p, 1st-.014p. I think these would be a little more suitable for he last tunings that I posted!

------------------
Franklin, D–10 w/9 & 8
Fender, T–8 “The Custom”
Peavey, Classic 50 – 212
Bob Watson

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2003 12:09 pm    

John, thanks for your input. The guy who owns this lap steel is a student of mine. He's going to get fellow forumite Jerry Erikson to clean it up and set it up for him. I believe it also needs tuning pegs. I will relay this info to Jerry. It will be interesting to see how it comes out. I will let you know the outcome. I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge of this with me.
Bob