| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Willard Grant Conspiracy
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 2:48 am    

I saw them yesterday here in Berlin and I'm knocked off my socks! If you've heard them before you'll remember 4 - 5 people with mostly acoustic Instruments on stage, and, of course, Robert Fisher, playing mostly VERY sad songs. Now, the songs are the same, but they are now performed with eight people, sometimes with three guitars simultaneously. Some tunes have arrangements with Madolins, Lap-Steel, Fiddle and Trumpet, so there's a great variety of sounds. And they rock! Sometimes they remind me of the Walkabouts from Seattle, (but less melodramatic, more power) and indeed, Terri Moeller, a former Walkabout, was on drums.

They'll be in Europe till December, but if you have the chance to see them, don't hestitate. Americana won't be any better.

And BTW, I had the pleasure to talk to Robert in summer this year on the Glitterhouse Records Showcase, and he one of the most friendly and interestiong persons you'll meet. That was the first time I talked to a musician before his set and speak about really important things.

------------------
martin abend my homepage martinabend@yahoo.com
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 7:39 am    

Martin, what on earth happened to the Walkabouts. Sure the Chris & Carla thing divided their energies, but how did that group fade so much.
About five or six years ago they were the flagship of Sub Pop records after the whole Grunge thing got bought up by the majors and Sub Pop saw the writing on the wall (ie corporate rock is best left to the corporations).
Their albums are getting harder and harder to find as the years go by and I don't even remember seeing any reviews for their last effort.

Jason
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 8:53 am    

Jason,

after 2 mediocre albums on Virgin Records they finally came back to Glitterhouse Records last year. Funny thing is: Everything that can go wrong with bands on majors went wrong, and Chis Eckman knew it fron the start, I guess, but at leat they tried it.
In 1999 they released "Trail of stars" on Glitterhouse with was the first chart entry for the label in Germany, and it was the best album they did until now, I think.
I know nothing about the future of this band. Terri left, Chris is mostly producing bands from nothern and eastern Europe that almost always suck (like Midnight Choir- the worst lyrics on the entire planet), and I've heard that Carla does something with movies.
Do you know "Swinger 500", the solo-CD by Chris & Carla? It's the best record they have ever made including the Walkabout-stuff. Great songwriting, fantastic use of electronics - simply a perfect album. Didn't sell so much.

You can order everything from Glitterhouse Label & Mailorder (I used to work for them, you can absolutely trust them), the webaddress is : www.glitterhouse.com.

They also sell some obscure live recordings via mailorder only. Intersting stuff.

------------------
martin abend my homepage martinabend@yahoo.com
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 5:53 pm    

Thanks Martin, now I know why you're so passionate about certain artists, very cool.
Well I'm sure it was more than just the job, we seem to like a lot of similar bands.
I know the Glitterhouse stuff, they kind of dissapered off the radar here a few years back.
Virgin is a dreadful label, I mean the literally kill off great indie bands.. I have no idea why it happens, but they invariably suck whilst recording for Virgin.
"Swinger 500" is a great album, I agree totally with your comments.
Did you ever get into the whole 'K' Records thing, Beat Happening, etc?