Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  AP reports Garth Brooks to Divorce
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 5:27 pm    

Garth Brooks to Divorce

.c The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Country superstar Garth Brooks and his wife have agreed to a divorce, a spokeswoman at his record company confirmed Saturday.

The acknowledgment came after Brooks told Billboard magazine that he regrets his failed marriage but believes he is closer than ever to his children. The Capitol Records spokeswoman, Karen Byrd, declined further comment.

Garth and Sandy Brooks have been married for 14 years and have three children, ages 8, 6 and 4.

``Sandy and I both agree that we need to get divorced,'' he said. ``Right now, we're focused on the impact it will have on the children and how to handle that best, to remain parents even if we don't remain husband and wife.''

He said recent difficulties, including his mother's death and his first break from touring in 11 years, have taken a toll.

``But the trade that I made (is that) I am an infinite number of times closer to my children than I've been the entire seven years of their lives before (this year off). And I can't help but think when I lie down at night and say my prayers that that, in itself, ... is worth the trade I've made to get here.''

Brooks has sold 97 million albums in his 10-year career, making him the best-selling artist in country music history. He announced in December 1999 that he might retire because he wanted to spend more time with his family.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 6:11 pm    

No matter who the Person ,with Kids it's tough. Money won't be a..to be continued.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 09 October 2000 at 04:27 AM.]

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 6:12 pm    

Joe,care to finish the thought?
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 7:01 pm    

You know what. GB plays to millions of people and has noted affairs. I frankly don't blame him for being unable to resist temptation. But don't give us this baloney about sincerity. He's no different then Mick Jagger, except he's a hypocrite. He wants his affairs and exciting lifestyle but also to be respected as a sensitive, caring family guy. I don't buy it.
erik

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 7:07 pm    

Earl, I'll guess -problem-. Is this a new game show?
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 6:25 am    

Eric,I'll say "D...Problem" and thats my final answer.
Mario Cuppetelli

Alpena, MI
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 2:28 pm    

"I frankly don't blame him for being unable to resist temptarion." Well then I guess that we can not expect anyone to keep the vows they have taken, or to keep promises they have made.

I like GB but he should have been a man and said no (if he had affairs), anyone can give into temptation but it takes character, strength, integrity and more to say no to temptation. Are we not responsible for our choices, actions and words?

Read the 5 Chapter of Galations and if you still think he can't be blamed remember no one was holding a gun,knife or bat to his head or anyone else for that matter.

I realize that I may get some flack on this, but I won't be the first one to get it for standing up for what is right. I am tired of seeing children caught in the middle and the pain and suffering it causes them becaue someone could not say no to temptation. The research is showing the damage that divorce does to children.

Mario
visit our web site www.firstassembly.alpena.net

[This message was edited by Mario Cuppetelli on 08 October 2000 at 03:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mario Cuppetelli on 08 October 2000 at 03:37 PM.]

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 2:46 pm    

Mario, Amen!

Bob Carlson
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 3:26 am    

Continued from line 1: a factor in this divorce,Sandy will be rich.Garth can now persue his dreams of playing baseball,If he ever gets to sleep... to be continued.

------------------
CJC

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 7:22 am    

I didn't think that marriage would work.How could Sandy compete with the love Garth has for himself?

------------------
CJC

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 4:07 pm    

Who's Garth Brooks?

Rick
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 5:27 pm    

Best wishes for both, especially the kids!
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 9:16 pm    

It is the kids that will suffer,But Garth and Sandy are not going to be enemies it seems.Sandy was loyal and probably still is and a good mother.all joking aside Garth will have to grow up before his kids do.

------------------
CJC

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 8:02 am    

Aside from the fact that he has sold millions of records he deserves no more sympathy than anyone else getting a divorce,he picked his life and he wanted all that fame and money. A huge mansion cannot fill an empty heart. If you want to have empathy look at the divorce rate in this country and hope that more people will think before taking that drastic step.Pete.
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 9:57 am    

Quote:
If you want to have empathy look at the divorce rate in this country and hope that more people will think before taking that drastic step.

Hard to argue with that, Pete. It seems that many enter into marriage with the thought that "if it doesn't work out, we can just get a divorce". I think people give up far too easily. Nobody ever said marriage was easy. And people seem to ignore the "til death do us part" part of the wedding vows. They might as well replace that with "til divorce do us part" today.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 1:57 pm    

Ya' know...I was born at night,but I wasn't born last night.Let's see how long it takes to read in the press that Garth and Thrisha get hooked up.They were an item long before anyone ever heard of them when they were both attending Belmont University.He was her mentor...yea right!Usually marriages fall apart because there is somebody on the side.Just heard that Trish is divorced from her manager husband.Co-incidence? We'll just have to wait and see...won't we.
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 3:17 pm    

To extrapolate on Earl's thought in perhaps more simplistic terms: Marriage is like a set of silverware; you get married, you start spoonin' around, She knifes you in the back, and you fork over the rest of your life Best, Boomer
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:32 am    

Well, I think earl's probably right on this one-we'll be hearing about those 2 soon.

Reminds me of a quote from from the Raiders Quarterback Kenny Stabler. He went thru a pretty nasty divorce in the 70's when he was playing, lots of bad stuff in the press, very ugly. When it was over, some writer asked him if he thought he'd ever get married again. He said "Nah, I think I'll just find someone I already hate and give 'em my house."

John

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 2:48 pm    

I thought Trisha was married to one of the Mavericks. I had heard a while back (on TV or radio ??) that Garth and Trisha were an item and possibly the reasons behind these divorces.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Larry R

Navasota, Tx.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 12:41 pm    

"And the Thunder Rolls"
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 1:57 pm    

Money does not buy happiness. I just read that a professer at some University did a study on this, and found that people with an annual income of around $20,000 were the happiest of any he interviewed.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 1:56 pm    

That university study was done in 1903.
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2000 6:06 am    

Thanks Earnest,I couldn't figure out why I still wasn't happy,now I know.
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2000 1:07 pm    

Earnest, I'm ROTFLMAO!
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2000 8:47 pm    

News Flash...Saturday Night Live.
Garth says he is upset with his wife because she doesn't understand his alter ego Chris Gaines.Garth's wife states that she is upset that Chris Gaines is nailing Thrisha Yearwood.
I don't write'um I just report'um.