| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is Choreography Appropriate in Country Music?
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 5:19 am    

I watched the CMA's last night with an open mind. I enjoyed George Strait, Brad Paisley, Vince, Chicks and others who played with their bands. But when I saw SheDaisy, or whatever, I fell in the floor laughing. It seems the female artists who reach a certain level, resort to dancers and smoke (Reba, Lee Ann, Lee Ann, JoDee). SheDaisy is the Insinc of Country music. They must use choreography because they can't play a thing. Much less sing.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 5:46 am    

Chris:Your so right,camouflage hides the obvious.I did hear a couple of Tarzan call imitations from a couple of the females.In fact I thought they were filming a Tarzan Movie. Jodee now there isn't enough camouflage to cover her up.At least she shaved her armpits this year.Reba's doing what she has too do to stay in the business.

------------------
CJC

Fred Martin

Phoenix, Az
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 6:10 am    

Only if you want a side show. Course when Paula Abdul danced with the cat it was OK. I guess she'd be country today right!
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 6:13 am    

I don't mind choreography in a certain frame of reference; Michael Jackson, choreographer Debbie Allen, Paula Abdul are great at it. But its somewhat affected to see entertainers attempt to dance when its obvious that is not what they were raised doing. Kinda like teaching a pig to sing. A waste of time, not to mention it probably ****es off the pig. Best, Boomer
DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 6:46 am    

Why can't country music just be country music? The CMA show last night just proved what the so called country artist will do to stay on top (or just stay)! I guess I'm getting to old, but this is not the country music I've played and loved all these years!
Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 6:50 am    

" When in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream & Shout! "
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 7:03 am    

I think they can sing and if they want to dance, more power to them!
Jude James Shiels

near Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 7:15 am    

If the can dance, play fiddle, wink and sing harmony at the same time, even more power to them
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 7:48 am    

It kinda looked like a flashback to the old TV show Solid Gold, didn't it? Lots of dancers, costumes, streamers, lights, and smoke...yeah, that's Country Music alright!

(In a pig's eye!)

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 05 October 2000 at 09:09 AM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 10:00 am    

The choreography was perfect ! Pure cheese ! It made sure that everybody knows that this is a country show. Country is always about 10 years behind pop music in production values and estetics. If you can buy that cutting edge band outfit at the mall the outfit isn't so cutting edge.
Reba always cracks me up. The weird thing is that I really like it.

Bob
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 10:08 am    

I quite frankly would prefer to watch Gene Watson close his eyes and sing a good country ballard (Farwell Party comes to mind) than watch all the "dancers." I can go to just about any channel on tv and watch dancing if that is the attraction. Just my 2 cents worth.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 10:18 am    

Me too Kenny. Never was impressed much by glitz and glamour.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 11:07 am    

I'm sick of all the Vegas crap in Country Music.You guys are right about the Solid Gold Dancers.I thought the official dancing in Country Music was "SQUARE DANCING"
I'm not a Reba fan and never have been,but I think her vocal would have been better if she had not been jumping around like a jack rabbit.She's a rodeo queen not Madonna!
Considering what some musicians have to do to make a living nowadays maybe driving an artists bus,in the old days,wasn't such a bad deal after all.
I'm glad Gregg and I did the road thing(1968-76)when we did because we would both be out of a job...we don't sing and we dam sure don't dance for our meals.

[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 05 October 2000 at 12:21 PM.]

[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 05 October 2000 at 12:33 PM.]

KEVIN OWENS

OLD HICKORY TN USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 12:48 pm    

If the dancing gets in the way of the singing then, you shouldn't dance. So why do they? Maybe to draw your attention away from the singing.
It don't matter that show last night was 99% crap anyway.

Kevin
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 4:03 am    

Earl,
You and Gregg can't dance? I enjoyed the show!
The only problem I have with it is they don't honor the musician's like they should.
Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 5:44 am    

I wanna see Gregg dance. (I saw him dance in 1969, but it didn't count 'cause it was with another man . Best, Boomer
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 7:30 am    

Gregg and I were room mates in 1969 and I never heard that one.You can bet your sweet a$$ it wasn't me !
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 7:50 am    

I totally disagree with the token way they honor the musicians.I would not ever say Hargus was not deserving of the honor except for the fact he is retiring, I am not so sure last year was really his year.Certainly during his fabulous career full of recording acomplishments he deserved the honor. I would like to know if they throw darts or actually look at the past years achievements. O well like Vince said . I'm sorry good night.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 06 October 2000 at 08:51 AM.]

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 9:06 am    

I've never understood the fascination people have with "seeing a show" when they go to a concert. To me, it almost always detracts from the music. Especially if the singer is trying to dance. Dancing is hard work, as is singing. Doing both at the same time will always diminish the quality of one or the other (or more-likely, both).

I didn't mind the choreography for "I Hope You Dance". For that song, it seemed appropriate.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

rickw

nc
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 9:57 am    

Kenny is right on it!----Thanks Rick
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 10:33 am    

I Don't really know who is trying to be what anymore.I have seen more Country music on MTV then on the CMA awards. I hAve a couple of Rock and Rollers who were in their day very popular up the street from Me.When I played the tape they busted out laughing.They were full of praise for Alan Jackson who seemed to them the only real person amidst a herd of phoneys. Now one of these people still tour with his still very popular group,and you still hear his "SIxteen Candles" played. He said if they were honest with themselves they would admit to being what they are instead of what we all know they that are not. Now I wish I had said that. Thank you Johnny.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 09 October 2000 at 11:35 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 12:08 pm    

I think they can sing and if they dance, more power to them!
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 1:02 pm    

Quote:
I think they can sing and if they dance, more power to them!

"If" is the key word, there, Theresa.

I'm curious. Who do you think is capable of singing and dancing (without affecting their singing ability)?

There are probably a few, but they aren't common IMO.

PS -- I saw Brian this weekend down in Grand Cayman. I didn't know he was going to be there, too. I hope he had fun. They should've let him go for more than just the two days and one night, though.

------------------

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 2:46 pm    

I agree with Bob.
Dave,
Brian needs a job so he can shine and show his ability as a guitar player. The Wilkinson's even though more pop, show more favoritism to the dobro! Theresa
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 3:44 pm    

Quote:
The Wilkinson's even though more pop, show more favoritism to the dobro!

Yes, they do! At a bluegrass festival last month, NONE of the bluegrass bands used a dobro (resonator guitar) on-stage. Only The Wilkinsons used one. The dobro adds a little bit of the country sound to some of their less-country-souding songs. Believe it or not, it was their music that made me decide to go out and get a dobro.

Getting back to the choreography thing, I wouldn't really call what SheDaisy did at the CMA's "choreagraphy" or dancing. That kind of "showmanship" doesn't take too much away from the music, IMO. Yes, I know they weren't exactly on-key that night. I don't think some people realize just how hard it is to harmonize when you can't get a good monitor mix to your ears.

Oh, and Brian really did "shine" on the acoustic guitar down in Grand Cayman. Steve even introduced him as one of the best guitar pickers around. Brian looked around to see who Steve was talking about.

------------------