| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  George Straits Comment.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 5:08 am    

Every day on the forum, contributors write one thing when they really mean something else. I think that is what George Strait did at the CMA Awards. Didn't you notice he used a .
Theresa--As far as ones job, I hate what I do and do it only for the money BUT I only have ten months until retirement! After I complete my sentence as a factory worker, maybe I can get a real job playing steel guitar! Joe oops I left out the :0

[This message was edited by Joe Miraglia on 08 October 2000 at 09:39 AM.]

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 6:59 am    

Missy is right, George did not say the song was a joke. He said they did it as a joke. I don't think they thought the song would win any thing. I think if the song had been promoted it would have went to #1. Talking about bitting the hand that feed you, is that not what Nashville is doing.
Blane Sanders

York,Co. Pa.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 10:09 am    

I first heard "MURDER ON MUSIC ROW" on a Sunday night Bluegrass show, hosted by Hank Janny (sp?), WGTY, Gettysburg. It's a top 40 Country station. I could'nt believe my ears! I LIKED IT! About a Month later, the station played it on the air on the morning show at about 8 O'clock. But there was something differenet about it, it had drums and a steel guitar. That's when I found out that George & Allen had a version of the song out. The following weekend, I drove up to Hanks store (Antique/Music shop) in Gettysburg, where I orded a copy of Larry Cordele's CD titled: "MURDER ON MUSIC ROW". Hank told me he had so many sales of the CD, that he kept selling out, Hank also told me he sort of dared the morning DJ into playing the country version of the song, it became a very requesed song, and ended up on the regular play rotation for quite some time, and they still play it occasionaly. I also bought the George Strait tape & compared the two versions, they're in the same Key, have the same Tempo, & the same Arangement. As for George's statement, I'd like to think that it was made with tounge in cheek! One other thing, if you like Bluegrass, get a copy of the Larry Cordle CD, it's REAL GOOD, and I believe IT went to #1 on the Bluegrass charts!...

[This message was edited by Blane Sanders on 08 October 2000 at 11:11 AM.]

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 10:19 am    

Joke or not when someone is bleeding it isn't good to put salt on the wounds. I don't dislike George for the statement,His music speaks louder then any words.I just thought it wasn't the time and place while accepting his reward for a good effort...Country Music needs all the positive efforts it can gather these days..

------------------
CJC

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 8:49 am    

I had always assumed that MOMR was recorded slightly tongue-in-cheek. I think that's what George was trying to say. I would imagine he wishes he'd said something slightly different than what he said. He obviously wasn't prepared to make a speech for wining that award -- it was totally unexpected.

I'll admit that I somewhat shocked by what he said. But I guess I interpeted the statement through my own filters, as described above.

FWIW, I loved that song. It should've done better than it did on radio.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 6:27 pm    

The late Justin Tubb wrote and recorded a song that said about the same thing several years ago. I've forgotten the title.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 6:46 pm    

Justins song "What's wrong with the way were doing it now"?

------------------
CJC

Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 8:59 pm    

Donny there is not a musician alive that does not want to play and make money doing it!!! Get real here!!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 7:17 pm    

Lyle, what's more important to YOU? Is it the music...or is it just the money? I bet some people here on the FORUM play regularly without ever getting paid. I guess another way of saying it is...would you still play if someone said "play it MY way, or take a hike"?

"True artists don't do what others tell them to do, they do what their HEART tells them to do!"

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 3:00 am    

Donny in the "Real World" true artist get paid if it's what they choose to do for a living...I'm not disputing you It's just I don't know of anyone who is working for anyone that tells the Boss screw you I'll do it my way..A lot of people gladly play for nothing and a lot of Club owners are happy to pay that amount.My heart use to always ask me "what are we eating today"?.All of us love our music and that's why I always said "isn't it great to do something I love and get paid to do it".I Know I am not the originator of that saying.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 11 October 2000 at 04:14 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 3:38 am    

Sheesh! Look guys, I'm not advocating anybody "starving" here, although MANY artists have done just that to persue their dream. What I'm saying is...if you have TWO job offers...

$100 a nite...and do what you want
OR
$200 a nite...but you gotta use a fuzztone on EVERYTHING you play (the boss likes "Hard Rock")

Now, assuming you're not starving or up to your ears in debt, which would you do?

(Or maybe I'm the ONLY one here who's ever taken a pay cut to just do what he wants!)
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 5:25 am    

Donny,
I'd go for the $200 job. I would be doing it because I'm a musician first and it might be challenging to do! Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 11 October 2000 at 07:25 AM.]

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 6:01 am    

quote:
$100 a nite...and do what you want
OR
$200 a nite...but you gotta use a fuzztone on EVERYTHING you play (the boss likes "Hard Rock")

I'll never have to make that choice (people would pay me NOT to play).

I'd go for the $100 a nite, because I don't think I'd enjoy playing fuzztone on everything.

------------------

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:15 am    

Donny I do get your point,that is not wanting to do anything you don't like.All of us have felt that way somewhat from time to time. Growing up with a music and loving it made it hard for me to change especially when I was in on what I considered the good time in music for me...Now it is the good time in Music for someone else...We all paid our dues with freebies and did things too get us by until the door opened.I just won't admit it closed for me and it has...It does for all of us at one time or another.But I don't think the door ever gets locked.I do like other music but I won't abandon my roots.

------------------
CJC

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:20 am    

Quote:
It does for all of us at one time or another.But I don't think the door ever gets locked.I do like other music but I won't abandon my roots.
Joe, I think Lynn Owsley is a great example of the door never being locked. He was one of the Texas Troubadours, playing VERY traditional country music, then re-emerged years later playing steel for KID ROCK! Yikes! But, guess what...? They like him BECAUSE he hasn't forgotten his roots, and brings the roots to K.R.'s music! So, the door isn't closed unless one's mind is closed, IMHO.
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:24 am    

With the work the way it is in "Nashburg",you're lucky to get $200 a WEEK!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:47 am    

Smiley,How about a month?

------------------
CJC

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:56 am    

Playing different music does'nt mean you abandon roots!
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 8:01 am    

Only if one forgets it's the roots that helped them grow.Destroy the roots and the tree dies.All I am trying to say is there is room in the forest for more trees,we don't have to remove all the old ones.

------------------
CJC

[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 11 October 2000 at 09:24 AM.]

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 8:21 am    

I've wondered: just how does anybody know if the current singers / musicians have "forgotten their roots"?

I still maintain that what's on today's radio is closer to the "roots of country" than what you'll hear on pop radio.

Surely I'm not the only one who can tell if I'm listening to a country station or a pop station?

------------------

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 8:39 am    

Yes,
Just listen to any pop station and any country station, you can tell the difference!
End of story, I hope!
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 8:47 am    

Actually it seems there are many of us who can't.

------------------
CJC

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2000 12:10 pm    

Robby his Statements were not timely but George and Alan did a great job on the song.If they did not release it I am sure it would have stayed regional.They got the song heard.I don't think you would have found too many disc Jocks that would have played Larrys version however good it is.Even Alan and Georges version did not get overplayed.They were the right two for the job.I am sure there were reasons George made the statement.However the song does make a strong statement however serious the Artist were.IMHO.I think It's time to move on and close this thread please b0b.

------------------
CJC

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 8:18 am    

Um, actually, Buddy and Ray aren't playing together anymore... (but that's beside the point, isn't it?)
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 9:37 am    

Yeah,unfortunately,Step One Records is history. I managed to go over there,the day before it closed,& buy several albums that I've wanted,for a long time. I'm happy now.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-