| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Breakin The Rules - Need Words
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 10:44 am    

Help! I need the words to this old song, I believe it's a Hank Thompson song. I couldn't find it on Cowpie.

It's for my wife - I'm not sure why she wants to learn Breakin' The Rules.
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 3:39 pm    

I'll try to get it started for you. When I give out, someone else can fill in the rest:

Verse:
Breaking the rules, every time I hug and kiss you darling, while you wear another's ring

When you're breaking the rules in any kind of game you're playing reckless, and taking chances just the same.

Bridge:
How can we tell ourselves our love was reckless fun, can we both be called a pair of fools

Release:
But if it's wrong to want to be with you, my darling then I guess I'll go on breaking rules.

If memory serves me right, this is close to the right words now, after a couple of brain-f@rts and edits. Actually I, and probably most every other working musician on this forum, have backed Hank Thompson himself on this number at least once in the past; I should know these words by heart. Hank still travels quite extensively and generally uses a pickup band because his material is so widely known and follows standard progression pretty well.

All right gang, if I have made some mistakes here I apologize, somebody please feel free to chime in and fix it. Thanks! Tim R.

[This message was edited by Tim Rowley on 10 October 2000 at 08:56 PM.]

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 8:00 pm    

To da top, one time. Somebody out there MUST know the correct words to this song. Thanks in advance.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 1:37 am    

Tim, I'll e-mail it to you. Kenny Dail was kind enough to copy them down off of the record and send them to me.
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 9:57 pm    

Tim and Jack, I was fortunate enough to be part of the backup band for HT in 1996 (I think) when he did an appearance in my area thru the VCMA and the George D. Hay memorial that is held each year in October. In retrospect, it came off real good but as in any job you want to do your best at, this extra effort sometimes gets in your way and keeps you from doing as good as you thought you were capable of doing. But I'm here to tell you, I enjoyed every "lousy" note I missed and played. LOL Yes, that was one of the songs we did.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...