| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  It's Always Something
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2000 2:42 pm    

Quote:
I guess you know Brian Franklin who plays guitar for the Wilkinson's. He's my younger brother, & I'm looking forward to hearing them live!

Yes, ma'am, I surely do. I've even talked with him a few times. He's a great guy, and seems to fit in very well with the rest of the gang.

Is your email in your profile (honda56@aol.com) still valid? I sent you an email a day or two ago.

Just don't let Brian hear that I like their acoustic set best of all. I have nothing against the band -- but Tyler, Amanda, and Steve sure sing great harmonies together. I love the ballads they do when there's no music (other than Steve's guitar) to cover up their wonderful voices. And if you've ever heard them do "When I Need You" acapella, you know what I mean. They don't always get to perform it, but they almost always do it during soundcheck. It's worth showing up early just to hear it.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

[This message was edited by David Pennybaker on 13 August 2000 at 04:06 PM.]

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2000 4:08 pm    

Quote:
I love...when there's no music...to cover up their wonderful voices.

Ahhh--we've come back around to what this thread is about: Nashville's wanton destruction of perfectly good songs through bad rock over-production. Country music was about lyric and melody--not a thunderstorm of bass guitar and drums.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2000 4:49 pm    

Jeff,
You need to listen to It's Always Something one more time. Theresa

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 13 August 2000 at 05:51 PM.]

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2000 4:56 pm    

"A good song literally beaten to death."

--David B.
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2000 5:09 pm    

Quote:
Nashville's wanton destruction of perfectly good songs . . Country music was about lyric and melody

I can agree somewhat, but not completely. At least you didn't say country music was about voice quality -- most aren't exactly first-rate. But that's OK, because it IS about the lyrics. And, I think there needs to be at least some hint of steel guitar or fiddle buried somewhere in the song.

"New country" (for lack of a better term) does have it's good points, though. It gets people who would otherwise never listen to country to listen. My wife is the perfect example of that. She's never really liked the sound of the steel or fiddle (sacrilege, I know), but I think she's coming around now. Thanks to artists like Phil Vassar, Chad Brock, The Wilkinsons, etc. that got her to listen.

It seems to me that country has vascillated several times from more traditional to more pop and back. But then I'm only 36, and don't have much recollection of country music that's older than 25 years or so.

But, who's to "blame" for the "new" sound, anyway? How about Chet Atkins? Arguably one of the best guitarists in the world. I wasn't around when he transformed country music, but he would certainly qualify as one of the pioneers of getting country music "modernized" and "softened" for the masses.

Personally, I think he did us a great service. There's only so much bluegrass, Texas Swing, and Bob Wills I can take before it starts to get just a little old. I love the music, but there's so many more styles that are new that I really love, too.

Take the Dixie Chicks. I think it's great what they did to Bluegrass, by mixing in some pop and country. How many people would have NEVER listened to a song with a banjo in it before they came along? (Hmmm, OK, maybe the didn't do us a service. )

Wanton destruction? I can't agree with that. I certainly think that the backup music could be toned down somewhat from many of the current songs out there. But, I think that'll happen anyway.

Besides, we've always got new artists like Brad Paisley to help preserve some of the more traditional stuff.

Also, the new album by The Wilkinsons, according to Steve, should be leaning back towards more traditional sounds. I really like several of the songs that should be on it: "Oil and Water" and "Somewhere Before", in particular.

Their latest single, "Shame on Me", didn't do well at all in the charts. I think it topped at 53. Pretty pathetic, and it had a fairly traditional sound to it. I had a hard time understanding that, but then noticed that "Murder on Music Row" (Alan and George) only made it to 33, and that "She Went Out for Cigarettes" (Chely Wright) only made it to 50-something, too.

------------------

[This message was edited by David Pennybaker on 13 August 2000 at 06:15 PM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2000 6:54 pm    

Jeff,
We agree it's a good song. It's Always Something Theresa
GORDY NICHOL

chattanooga,tn usa
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 4:49 am    

Why is there such a desire to "win over"the approval of country music to people that don't like the basic sound of it? Worse yet,why defend their opinions? I thought this was a forum on country music listened to by steel guitarists!If you don't like the steel,get out of the kitchen!!!!!!!!! P.S. This post was submitted by some one that plays bass in a jazz band,a bluegrass band,and plays psg in a country band.
Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 7:40 pm    

Gordy,AMEN!!!
David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2000 7:52 pm    

Quote:
Why is there such a desire to "win over"the approval of country music to people that don't like the basic sound of it?

From the industry point of view, because there's money involved.

From a personal point of view, because I want my wife and friends to enjoy similar music to what I like. And if a little "new country" helps that, then I say "Great". My wife can certainly stand pedal steel guitar now a lot more than she used to. Isn't that a good thing?

Quote:
Worse yet,why defend their opinions?

Just explaining it.

Quote:
I thought this was a forum on country music listened to by steel guitarists!If you don't like the steel,get out of the kitchen!!!!!!!!!

Though I'm not a steel guitarist (yet), I certainly like the steel guitar.

------------------