| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who Are They Now
Bob Anderson

pemberton mn 56078
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2000 7:04 pm    

When a singer used to come on the radio, male or female I knew right away who it was. They had style. Now the only ones I know for sure are Garth, Allen, and Vince, and well Patty and Tanya I can tell. But if it's a new song, I have no idea....They all sound alike...except maybe Dwight. Nashville is a tread mill for sound-alike white and black hats. There are Brooks and Dunn songs I wouldn't have guessed. Remember "You're Gonna Miss Me?"
Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 5:22 am    

I remember when you heard the intro,before the singer started you knew who it was.Back then they all seemed to take care of thier musicians.Pretty much a signature thing. Ray
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2000 3:26 am    

------------------
CJC

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2000 9:11 am    

Well, I know this may ruffle some feathers, and I mean no offense or disrespect to those who ply their trade in Music City, but in my never to be humble opinion, paintings done by the numbers ain't "art," and music done by the same ain't music (incredible chops and technical abilities notwithstanding).

Please don't misunderstand: this is NOT saying that the amazing studio musicians that play these tunes are not wonderful musicians. I am in awe and total admiration for those cats, and would love to learn to play a 1/100th of what they know. I hold the players in the highest respect and awe. It's the system (read: INDUSTRY) that's the problem. The songs and singers all sound the same because it's what the "suits" in the Corporate Suites are paying to produce. They don't care if it all sounds cookie-cutter and generic. It just a product to them. It could be peanut butter, nails or braziers for all they care.

What finally got me into country (I'm 40) back around 1986 was Dwight. Why? I remember hearing all the Buck, Merle, Johnny, Faron, etc., that my dad listened to when I was boy. At the time, I didn't like it (hey, that was my DAD'S MUSIC!! :>), but it all stuck in my brain, and as they say, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Dwight cited all these (and many more) cats as his influences, and knew that was the "real" country music.

Well, Nashville wasn't interested in Dwight (said he was TOO country!!!), so he and Pete did it themselves. When I heard it, somthing clicked in my 27 year old brain. It was like an epiphany, and I finally GOT IT! The stuff my old man listened to was pretty cool after all!

When I think of the term "industry," I think of automobiles and insurance. Music just isn't a word that comes to mind with industry (least, not to me). But, I understand why the top-flight players do it. If I could play like that, I would be too! How does the quote go? "I have never been in a situation where having money made it
worse!" Again, I mean no offense -- just my 2 cents!

Sorry for being so long winded! Take care, and God bless.
TJW