| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it possible?
Lindley

Statesville, NC...USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 1:48 pm    

Do you think it's possible to love the dobro as much as you do your steel? To me, the sound of a well played steel is like music from Heaven. Really, there is nothing in this world as beautiful as when Buddy plays something like, Danny Boy", or "Greensleeves". I am a 57 year old man, and I still get tears in my eyes when I hear this. From time to time, Even I play something that makes me smile. However, now that I am trying to learn the dobro, I find that I am appreciating it more and more. I seem to be hearing something I didn't hear before from the dobro. What do you guys think?

------------------
Steel crazy after all these years.
Emmons Lashley Legrande 111 S-10, Nashville 1000, Peavey Stereo chorus 212, Peavey Classic 50/410, Lexicon MPX 100, Crafters of Tennessee Virginian reso.

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 3:25 pm    

I think it was John Fogerty who said:
"The dobro is the sound of the woman you didn't get".

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 5:45 pm    

Dobro was my second instrument. I started trying to play back in the early 70's, after I'd gotten a little tired of guitar. I was no guitar virtuoso, but I wanted to do something else. Actually started with a slide(piece of 3/4" EMT conduit), and got acoustified later.
But there's something about that moan, or that squeal, that still drives me nuts. I knew who Uncle Josh was long before Buddy Emmons. And Mike Auldridge was kickin' my butt long before any steel guitar came along.
It's an incredible instrument.
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2003 6:31 am    

I've always liked the sound of a dobro, but it wasn't until I owned one that I fell in love with that sound. Something about the way that energy rises up from the cone and surrounds you. It's magical. I don't think it's possible to truly appreciate the instrument until you commit yourself to learning how to play it. But that may be true for any instrument.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2003 7:59 am    

There's nothing like a well-played slide anything- just the sound of steel on strings always gets me going. But Resos do have that swampy, mysterious, cry and moan thing. And in the hands of a great player- check out Jerry Douglas' gorgeous "Write it on the Tablet of Your Heart" on his Under the Wire CD. Or just about anything Auldrige recorded! I just got a great deal on a beautiful used Beard, and I can't put it down. Yum!

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band

[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 10 July 2003 at 09:00 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 10 July 2003 at 09:00 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 10 July 2003 at 09:04 AM.]

Alan Kirk

Scotia, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2003 8:56 am    

Certain instruments "speak" to certain people, I believe.

I also believe that if a child shows an intense interest in any particular instrument, it's probably the instrument that child should learn to play.

Some people just really get off on certain timbres.

------------------
Wayne Carver

Martinez, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2003 10:38 am    

Like Mark said , slide anything, I recently listened to an old blues player, Fred Mcdowell, who really sparked my interest although I don't know exactly what type of reso he was using. Probably the bottleneck style. I also enjoy the Dobro more since I started playing one. I noticed that when you get something like a canoe, you notice every canoe on the top of every car.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2003 10:46 am    

Josh Graves!
Bruce Clarke

Spain
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2003 11:06 am    

Alan--I don't think there can be any "probably" about it! I wonder too just what is it about a certain sound (in our case the steel guitar)that calls to an individual. I have given some thought to this over the years and never come up with anything like an anwer.
There may be a genetic component, my father was affected by stringed instruments, as I am, and I know there was a fiddle player in the family a few generations back.